Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2016 Maps now availabe for download

Views : 16041

Replies : 107

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2016, 17:09   #101
Bobdex

Sorry - new member so I am wrestling with the website. I have a 2011 s60 geartronic with only the original maps and the dealer wants a fortune to update them. Any suggestions?
Bobdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 17:12   #102
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

You need to get the upgrade to allow USB uploads which will cost between £50-£75 depending on dealer and whether they will do it which is very variable.

Otherwise you pay for the DVD which is around £250
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 19:00   #103
GMcL
0's and 1's

As wim says you need to visit your local friendly Volvo dealer who will relieve you of some £s, but not too many compared with the DVD updates, for which they will install part no. 31285187 (if you're lucky*) and be able to update the maps from the comfort of your own home until at least 2025.

*Not all systems will accept the update. Some dealers may refuse to do it as there have been reports of system crashes post update requiring a new head unit.

Does your car have the option to display the fuel consumption in a bar graph under My Car settings ? If not, you may have to get the base system software updated BEFORE they can apply the map update software. Last time I asked this update was £150. If required ask if there is a price for the software as a bundle rather than paying for each one individually.

Your local dealer should be able to tell you what's required.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Nov 18th, 2016 at 19:03.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 00:23   #104
Voltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
didn't seem to cause you any issues when you did it before using these maps ...
Don't follow which issues your getting at here, wimorrison. It's a simple scenario but perhaps I haven't described it clearly.

I had my MY11 XC60, which had already had its Sensus software upgraded to Sensus 3 a few years ago, further upgraded in June 16 with the software to allow map updates to be downloaded to a USB stick or HDD and then installed to this upgraded Sensus (which isn't Sensus Navigation) via the USB port.

I then downloaded the specific download utility for pre MY14 cars to my Mac which when run, downloads the map update specifically designed for my upgraded Sensus 3. Naturally, there were no issues as this map update is designed for my upgraded system. I did not use the Sensus Navigation update. Volvo provide a different downloader for Sensus Navigation which downloads a different set of maps which are not compatible with the newly upgraded Sensus 3 as GMcL has proved empirically.

The question was; "Are the Sensus Navigation maps compatible with the Sensus 3 upgraded system?" The answer it appears, is "No".
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 00:27   #105
Voltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
I reused the USB stick I'd used in the summer 32GB FAT32 format bought new, formatted and never used for anything other than the car.

Yes the files were dropped in root and yes I've done it before with the May 2016 release.

I didn't think it would work due to the file information being different between the two systems with different formats for the version numbers but good to know anyway. Nothing ventured and all that.

If you follow the selection process for your head unit on the website you will land at the correct file download for your unit.
I have already followed the selection process as you say. It appears the fact that there are different non-compatible map formats is still confusing some.
Old Nov 24th, 2016, 15:23   #106
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The 04/11/16 Europe map update says it applies to 2014 cars but does not include the XC70 and mine is an upgraded 2012 Sensus Nav system. I tried to upload it and the upload command is greyed out so it will not work.

Quote:
2014: S60, S60L, V60, V60 Plug-in Hybrid, XC60
Sadly, despite assurances that references to 2014 cars would actually include 2012 cars like mine with the optional software upgrade does not seem to be so. There do not appear to have been any updates since the May 2016 update, which I have, so I cannot tell if the 4 times a year promise is true and if these updates will ever apply to my uprated 2012 system.
Old Nov 24th, 2016, 15:38   #107
GMcL
0's and 1's

It's not a 4 times/year promise, the wording is:
"Updates may be made 1-4 times a year (depending on region)"

If you compare the May 2016 download we have to the November 2016 download the +21GB May download is fewer than 2000 files, the +17GB November download is >5700 file. A significant difference indicating to me the original hardware/software is different to the later setup.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Nov 24th, 2016 at 15:46.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2016, 16:00   #108
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
It's not a 4 times/year promise, the wording is:
"Updates may be made 1-4 times a year (depending on region)"

If you compare the May 2016 download we have to the November 2016 download the +21GB May download is fewer than 2000 files, the +17GB November download is >5700 file. A significant difference indicating to me the original hardware/software is different to the later setup.
Alternatively it could just be that there aren't as many changes to update in November compared to the previous update?

You also need to be aware that the update also includes the Gracenote database update as well as the map update and the Gracenote update is depnendent upon the number of albums and tracks that have been released sine the last update.

The size of the file gives no indication of system that the update is targetted at - all it says is that there the file is smaller than the file you are comparing against