Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where do you see Volvo against other marques?

Views : 24365

Replies : 234

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Where do you see Volvo as a brand compared to other marques?
Premium and firmly in Compact Executive sector (eg, BMW, Benz and Audi) 91 55.83%
Non Premium but still in Compact Executive sector 35 21.47%
Premium-esque, but not in Compact Executive sector (eg, Alfa Romeo) 36 22.09%
Non Premium and not in Compact Executive sector (eg, Ford Mondeo) 6 3.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 7th, 2012, 12:22   #111
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Yep it is a pain to reverse! Last time I left the drive I hadn't even noticed a car was coming up the street! almost broke my neck trying to see out the window.

Doesn't help mine has a big spoiler on the back either lol

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 14:36   #112
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
Since you ask, judge for yourself! Is there much not to like about this??
Dunno, I've never driven or had to live with or fix one?
As for how it looks, I'm not getting a semi here, so it's just another Euro-box to me
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 18:57   #113
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMad View Post
Dunno, I've never driven or had to live with or fix one?
As for how it looks, I'm not getting a semi here, so it's just another Euro-box to me
I'm with GMad, and to (hopefully) avoid paranoia, I find it hard to believe anyone would think an XC60 is anything other than ordinary, in that the majority of moderns (including all Volvos) are ordinary - in the looks department.

Doesn't stop it being a good car but don't deceive yourself, you can only go so far with the..."looks are subjective argument...".

As for the west vs east car culture debate, you'll find nearly all cars are designed by westerners, and most of them graduates of car design courses at either London or Coventry (at least).

Finally I'm with Clarkson on privacy glass...chav city.

Prufrock.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 19:49   #114
gillberry
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
Finally I'm with Clarkson on privacy glass...chav city.

Prufrock.
At one time would have agreed holeheartedly with this but on the other halfs astra estate with privacy glas one year while away with the caravan in a rare hot summer she asked me to get some fizzy pop out the back of her car and I was extremely surprised to find the pop was not only not flat but cool . As our dogs spend their time in the back of the car when we are travelling I made sure my xc90 had privacy glass to help keep them cool .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 19:49   #115
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMad View Post
...it's just another Euro-box to me
[QUOTE=Prufrock;1202729]I'm with GMad, and to (hopefully) avoid paranoia, I find it hard to believe anyone would think an XC60 is anything other than ordinary, in that the majority of moderns (including all Volvos) are ordinary - in the looks department. /QUOTE]

Now come on guys, don't hold back. The world's car designers - worthless as they may be - have put their finest collective minds together and tried, tried and tried again to come up with car designs that might appeal to you. Clearly, they have failed. What do they know compared to you? So get your fag packets out and lets see your offerings. A simple blueprint...a wheel at each corner and a stylish hunk of metal to meet needs and please all in the middle.

Only one stipulation. Your design must please EVERYONE.

Over to you...

Last edited by XCeed; Jul 7th, 2012 at 20:13.
XCeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCeed For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 19:59   #116
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

For the type of car the XC60 is, I think it looks terrific! The rear light design is very nice and the look as a whole is very eye catching. Love the interior. The floating centre console I have always liked since Volvo introduced it on the MK2 S40/V50!

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 20:27   #117
Rawas
Master Member

GMad & Prufrock,
If an XC60 does not not appeal to you, that is perfectly fine.
which cars do you think look good? and what that in specific you like about?
As for the industrial design schools, unfortunatly, I dont think that all designers as you mentioned are graduates of English schools! one thing for sure, neither Bertone nor Pinninfarina (masters of the industry) did.
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 20:45   #118
Rawas
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post
At one time would have agreed holeheartedly with this but on the other halfs astra estate with privacy glas one year while away with the caravan in a rare hot summer she asked me to get some fizzy pop out the back of her car and I was extremely surprised to find the pop was not only not flat but cool . As our dogs spend their time in the back of the car when we are travelling I made sure my xc90 had privacy glass to help keep them cool .
gillberry,
How is your Amazon doing? it is my childhood first love, I always wished I have one to restore.
Would you like to share some thoughts here with us, do you think that your XC90 looks better than lets say the new Kia sportage?
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 21:16   #119
gillberry
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawas View Post
gillberry,
How is your Amazon doing? it is my childhood first love, I always wished I have one to restore.
Would you like to share some thoughts here with us, do you think that your XC90 looks better than lets say the new Kia sportage?
Our Gracie is still awaiting repairs to her rear after having a woman drive into the back of her but other than that she is great . As to the xc90 , well I happen to like the shape they have a nose and a waistline akin to 50's design on cars . The xc90 is a very dated design compared to it's rivals but as I said I like the design as must do lots of others if you look at worldwide sale s . Before buying the xc90 I looked at suv's from other makes but came back to Volvo , badge snobbery I don't care for but some of the best seats in the business while you are driving can't be beaten .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 21:23   #120
Volvo6
Master Member

Quote:
I'm with GMad, and to (hopefully) avoid paranoia, I find it hard to believe anyone would think an XC60 is anything other than ordinary, in that the majority of moderns (including all Volvos) are ordinary - in the looks department.
But who does make a good looking car these days barring very expensive/sports cars?

When one says 'the XC60 is ordinary' what exactly are we comparing it to?