Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Faulty Volvos

Views : 20892

Replies : 132

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2009, 13:26   #111
gillberry
VOC Member

Best of luck in getting recourse .
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2009, 21:02   #112
Sanzomat

Hi 4wheedriver. I've read through this thread with some horror and I hope its not indicative of Volvo generally as I've just ordered my first ever Volvo (a V70 2.0d R-Design)
I thought it might be useful for you to hear how I got on with a problem car of my own, specifically for a guide to what I think was a reasonable settlement.
In March 2005 we bought a Renault Megane CC (the one with the folding hard roof) After a few weeks we noticed that a few dribbles of water would make it into the car after a spell of rain, nothing too dreadful but we mentioned it to the dealer who said they would sort it. When it came back it was worse. To cut a long story short, every time they tried to fix it it got worse and worse until we were frequently getting puddles in the footwells and on the leather seats. To be fair to the dealer they never denied the problem and they kept trying to fix it but just didn't seem to be able to do anything other than worsen it. We were always given courtesy cars when it was in dock but just basic clios. Eventually they called in the "experts" from Renault UK who apparently had a specially trained "hit squad" who supposedly knew everything there was to know about the roof problems. They kept the car for over five weeks saying they wanted to be absolutely sure it was fixed before giving it back. First time it rained it leaked again! not as bad as previously but still not great. It was now 2 years old, but only 12,000 miles due to it being our second car and the time it had spent in the shop! I had a bit of a rant to the MD of the dealership and wrote a letter to Renault UK saying I had no confidence in the car or the dealer's ability to fix it. They gave in and offered an assisted replacement. They offered to sell me a new car at cost and take back the old one for its "retail" value and R UK chipped in a grand to help the dealer. The car was £21K list new (including extras). They offered £13k trade in (they had a similar car on the forecourt with £13.5k on the window) and discounted the new one to £17,700 meaning we had to pay £4,200 to go from a 2 year old car to a new one again. We thought this was a reasonable outcome. As it turned out the delivery time for the new one was 13 weeks during which we had use of the old one (and during that time it barely leaked!) So we paid 4,200 for 2yrs, 4 months and 14,000 miles use of the old car and drove away in a brand new one. Incidentally the new one is now approaching 2yrs old and (touch wood) hasn't missed a beat or leaked a drop so they are some good ones! Other than their inability to fix the car I was impressed by the dealer's attitude and they remained friendly and cooperative (unlike the reputation associated with Renault) None of the issues with the car were in any way safety related so your case seems much more serious. I hope you can get it sorted and from what you've said I don't think you should pay any more than 3-4k to change to a new one.
Sanzomat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sanzomat For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2009, 21:14   #113
tt82
Forum Support Team

best of luck 4 wheel driver, hope u get a result. If theres anything we can do to help, feel free to ask.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2009, 21:31   #114
tingy
VOC Member

good luck 4wd

stuff it to em
Old May 30th, 2009, 15:43   #115
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Well Doves have now offered the lofty sum of 27250 to buy the car back. Stil not enough so just need to carry on doing it the hard way............

Makes you wonder though. It was only worth 22000 in Feb when I first said I was rejecting it and now its worth 27250?? Is the used car market REALLY recovering THAT quick or were they spouting a line of bull sh*t in Feb??
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 23:28   #116
jamie bt
jamie bt

Default xc 90

sorry to hear about the xc90 and good luck to u sir
jamie bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 16:40   #117
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Finally got the response from VOSA on the issues that VOLVO themselves were allowed to inspect!! Relevant parts are as follows.

"Our letter of 10th MArch explained the purpose of the investigation, which has been conducted under the terms of the Code of Practice on Vehicle Safety Defects (the code) that has the support ofthe General Product Safety Regulations (as amended), was to establish whether or not the defect was attributable to a design or construction deficiency, which was liable to cause a significant risk of personal injury or death.

The response from THE MANUFACTURER leads us to believe, at this time, that there is insufficient evidence to warrant an action under the terms of the Code.

Therefore VOSA consider that further action is not necessary.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention."

Looks like the whitewash from VCUK is now complete!!!

If there were no faults with the car then why do I have an email from VCUK offering to take the vehicle to the Tech Centre in Daventry to remedy the outstanding issues??

Im just glad I got rid before it killed me or my family even if I did have to lose some money to do it. Mind you the quality and performance from the RRS MORE than makes up for the loss in cash and to know when I press the throttle the car will go.

Thanks to all for their support on this thread and I hope that none of the rest of you have to go through the same sh*t that Ive had to put up with from stealer and manufacturer alike.

Just need to get rid of the C30 now to become a Volvo free zone......

Last edited by 4wheeldriver; Jun 26th, 2009 at 16:43.
4wheeldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 17:15   #118
catch22
Master Member

4wheeldriver,

I've been following this thread [you poor begger what a carry on]
Now I thought I had been paying attention, but now I'm not so sure.

Quote:
4wheeldriver May 30th, 2009 15:43

Well Doves have now offered the lofty sum of 27250 to buy the car back. Stil not enough so just need to carry on doing it the hard way............
then your following post read

Quote:
4wheeldriver Today 16:40

Im just glad I got rid before it killed me or my family even if I did have to lose some money to do it. Mind you the quality and performance from the RRS MORE than makes up for the loss in cash and to know when I press the throttle the car will go.
I'm I right in thinking you have settled and bought another make somewhere in between those two posts ?
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 17:32   #119
4wheeldriver
Master Member

No. I traded it as I got a better offer from Land Rover for it!!! A LOT more!!!
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 17:47   #120
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
No. I traded it as I got a better offer from Land Rover for it!!! A LOT more!!!
good on you