Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

im pretty sure ive been done

Views : 6246

Replies : 142

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2015, 20:45   #121
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40IRL View Post
Scratch that, my radio now works
Slowly but surely shes coming back to life
You can get the radio's off of people on here cheap enough £10 pound for the two standard ones and £50ish for the plusher 1205, hook head is lovely I've actually been at the top of it great views lovely Irish girl who worked there let me in as it was all locked up very nice of her to do that wouldn't happen in Britain sadly 9/10. They would just want to get home after their shift lol.

@pat I've pm'd you mate ill bob down to redruth sometime in the next few weeks come see yea.my cars in my mates bodyshop at mo all in bits pat so busy day tommorow putting it all back together.

I've got a radio in the cuboard I just need to find the code for it if you get stuck.

Last edited by kieran40; Aug 18th, 2015 at 20:51.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 21:11   #122
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Other than the spin today all i did was the diesel filter that was an easy job! o haha i had to jury rig a bike battery and some cable for the windows because while i was at the locking mechenism on drivers side (it was sticking) i shut the car door on swith panel and a day later i lost all power to all windoes and mirrors even the rear switches stoped working. All fuses ok so i imagine i messed up the switch board somehow. Also a little help, the brakes feel pretty bad it takes an awful lot of pressure to stop the car with a bit of speed and the pedal is very hard, siezed calliper? Tho they feel worse than that! What are the common brake failures with these cars? Thanks
Your thread is making interesting reading, so nice to see someone get stuck in and sort the problems and slowly bring a good car back to life. All the little jobs once done make a tremendous difference.

The hand brake is notorious for seizing in the rear callipers - there are plenty of threads on here explaining the symptoms and the cure - I would start at the rear callipers and then the fronts to make sure they are all free and working and also change the brake fluid. That should make a big difference. Discs and pads need to be sound, but that should be obvious.

Keep us up to date with progress. Good luck.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 21:19   #123
kieran40
I've Been Banned

My rear brakes always get a advisory on the mot if I don't deal with them the night before so a common issue indeed I just soak the mech in oil and jimmy a flat blade screwdriver up and down to free it up, also on the drive to the mot if I stop at traffic lights just pump the handbrake lever up and down as fast as I can it's worked the last 3 times no advisory's lol.

The mech jams that's what happens it's pretty open to the elements.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 22:08   #124
V40IRL

Handbrake is perfect lads just the foot brake!
V40IRL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V40IRL For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 22:13   #125
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Handbrake is perfect lads just the foot brake!
They work even though the mech seizes it will hold on a hill as per normal. Bleed youre brakes easy and cheap job to do, do you know what discs and pads have been used because my experiance the brakes aren't that good on the x40 to begin with don't skimp on the pads and discs especially up front , I've put some mintex pads on mine brilliant stopping but they kick up more dust over the previous pagid ones that squealed like crazy.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 22:13   #126
V40IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Your thread is making interesting reading, so nice to see someone get stuck in and sort the problems and slowly bring a good car back to life. All the little jobs once done make a tremendous difference.
Keep us up to date with progress. Good luck.
Yea thanks man these guys are a massive massive help Yee have kept interest and kept the ideas coming it has helped so much!
I still havnt got around to getting the gunk and crap off the back of the block
with the kero... Nasty job
The Following User Says Thank You to V40IRL For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 22:17   #127
V40IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
They work even though the mech seizes it will hold on a hill as per normal. Bleed youre brakes easy and cheap job to do, do you know what discs and pads have been used because my experiance the brakes aren't that good on the x40 to begin with don't skimp on the pads and discs especially up front , I've put some mintex pads on mine brilliant stopping but they kick up more dust over the previous pagid ones that squealed like crazy.
Is it not a dics drum handbarke set up? Like is the handbrake is the caliper your saying? All discs are spotless too but seizure is most prob the cause if thats what your saying! Just feels so week like
The Following User Says Thank You to V40IRL For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 22:36   #128
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Is it not a dics drum handbarke set up? Like is the handbrake is the caliper your saying? All discs are spotless too but seizure is most prob the cause if thats what your saying! Just feels so week like
Give it a bleed may be old stuff in there mate easy job to do aswell. You can adjust it aswell under the rear of the centre console the adjuster is inside that

Give the rear mechs the unfreeze treatment they work after that . How far does youre handbrake lever come up

Also one more thing buy a brake bleeding spanner because you can sheer the nipples off using odinary ones or a socket, one of mine was so tight from the previous kwik fit visit that it sheered off even using the proper spanner. Why they tighten them up so tight is beyond me. But gatos saved the day and sent me down a front caliper. They only need to be tweaked up .

Last edited by kieran40; Aug 18th, 2015 at 22:47.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 22:51   #129
Dancake
Premier Member

If your brake pedal is rock solid then you may have some water in your brake fluid. You may also have servo issues at that age/mileage. Cheap possible fix is as mentioned. Bleed all the brakes right through until the fluid comes out clean. Also inspect your brake hoses. They may look fine on the outside, but the inside of the hoses can break down and act as a one way valve, preventing the small return movement of the fluid after brake release.

Another thing you could do is remove the caliper slider pins, clean them with fine wet and dry and regrease with silicone or red rubber grease (not copper grease). Very easy job to do and can do no harm.
Dancake is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 23:37   #130
V40IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
If your brake pedal is rock solid then you may have some water in your brake fluid. You may also have servo issues at that age/mileage. Cheap possible fix is as mentioned. Bleed all the brakes right through until the fluid comes out clean. Also inspect your brake hoses. They may look fine on the outside, but the inside of the hoses can break down and act as a one way valve, preventing the small return movement of the fluid after brake release.

Another thing you could do is remove the caliper slider pins, clean them with fine wet and dry and regrease with silicone or red rubber grease (not copper grease). Very easy job to do and can do no harm.
Thats really helpful man thanks think ill look at the brakes tomorrow rather than doing the cleaning haha
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V40IRL For This Useful Post: