Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS control unit repair

Views : 148864

Replies : 256

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2009, 20:14   #121
Grendel

For me the new sensors did the trick, ABS lights stayed on until 25mph then went out and have stayed out since, ABS certainly works (some people are stupid and step out in front of Volvos).
Total cost £111 for parts, and about 1 hour to fit - the biggest problem, getting the conector through over the top of the fuel tank to the socket.(its a tight fit in there)
Grendel
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 21:43   #122
rich850t5

hmmm wonder if this is what has gone on mine, I only just noticed today that the abs and tracs lights do not turn on when the ignition is on so I susspect the previous owner has removed the lamps to hide the fualt, also car is fitted with cruise control which also doesnt seem to work.

other than the ecu fualt what are other common abs/tracs cruise control fualts?
rich850t5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 22:36   #123
Grendel

On mine I tested at the ABS ECU Socket, with a multimeter, the pins on the socket are 1 and 17 right rear sensor, 2 and 10 - left rear sensor, 3 and 18 right front sensor, and 4 and 11 for left front sensor, when mine was failing I lost cruise a couple of times, I guess suddenly going slower than the other wheels, tripped the cruise, if you test those circuits you should get a circuit, if not then there is either a faulty sensor or cable to the sensor. if all those are ok check the front sensors are clean as they are out in ther open. the front ones are seperate, the rears come as a pair attatched at the plug.
Grendel
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 10:48   #124
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
On mine I tested at the ABS ECU Socket, with a multimeter, the pins on the socket are 1 and 17 right rear sensor, 2 and 10 - left rear sensor, 3 and 18 right front sensor, and 4 and 11 for left front sensor, when mine was failing I lost cruise a couple of times, I guess suddenly going slower than the other wheels, tripped the cruise, if you test those circuits you should get a circuit, if not then there is either a faulty sensor or cable to the sensor. if all those are ok check the front sensors are clean as they are out in ther open. the front ones are seperate, the rears come as a pair attatched at the plug.
Grendel
Hi
How did you test?..For continuity or resistance?...

Cheers
Jod
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 23:43   #125
Grendel

Just resistance, about 1Kohm from memory, but they are all the same, on mine there was no circuit between 2 and 10, so it was a faulty rear sensor.
grendel
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 00:02   #126
Ozark Lee

If it helps at all I did a writeup here with some decent pictures of everything.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=12651

The site is being migrated to a new server at present so a bit of patience is required.

...Lee
Previous Volvos: 1989 744 GLT - 1986 744 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
Ozark Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozark Lee For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 19:13   #127
johnmacii

Default bad advice

Do not take this idiots advive the control unit is one peice plastic unit and is not designed to be opened. You will most likely destroy it which is exactly what i did and i am a qualified electronic engineer - same us from the moron with just enough knowledge to f*** up.
johnmacii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 22:01   #128
JonYorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmacii View Post
Do not take this idiots advive the control unit is one peice plastic unit and is not designed to be opened. You will most likely destroy it which is exactly what i did and i am a qualified electronic engineer - same us from the moron with just enough knowledge to f*** up.
Hundreds of people have opened up the abs module and resoldered the joints and fixed the problems so your wrong. Yes it is designed not to be opened but thats just to force people to pay out for a new one.
JonYorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 23:43   #129
AlanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmacii View Post
I resent that; I too am a qualified electronic engineer, and this was an easy fix.
The unit is faulty, there is nothing to loose. Opening is easy, but maybe that requires a few mechanical engineering skills and is probably the longest part of the job. Careful inspection and reference to prior advice soon identifies the problem areas. Simple removal of solder resist and resolder.

I am sorry to hear that you failed, but many have not, and hopefully you are none the worse off for the attempt.

So thanks to everyone for the accumulated advice here.
AlanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 10:26   #130
Rovolver

Unfortunately I belong to the minority for whom resoldering the joints didn't mean ABS & Tracs lights switched off.But I can't say that I destroyed my control unit.Maybe I just didn't do a very good job as I ain't a pro..
Now I'm looking into other alternatives..

Has anyone tried this company?
http://www.carelect.demon.co.uk/frame.html

If yes,how did it go?
Rovolver is offline   Reply With Quote