Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CLONKING/KNOCKING when accelerating, or taking of

Views : 82195

Replies : 238

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2009, 13:27   #121
D5 Stunt Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynosaur View Post
Same as the S80 : 35 nm plus 90 degrees.
Good work fella.

The mechanic (who is also a mate) torqued correctly then.

Its amazing the difference in your karma whilst driving when you don't hae to listen to clonks and knocks!
D5 Stunt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 16:30   #122
uzyg

Might sound a lil silly but how do I remove my dust caps from the wheels without taking the wheel off??

I have the 17" multi-spoke volvo alloys (cant remember name) and tried wedging a knife to flick the cap out but it wont budge.

Any tips?
uzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 18:10   #123
uzyg

I have taken my the caps off the wheels and the bolt/nut on each wheel seems to be locked in tight.

I was under the impression that these bolts come 'loose' and therefore need replacing. i didnt want to loosen mine as I havent got the xc90 ones yet.

Can anyone confirm if there original bolts were on tight but replcaing them with the xc90 ones sorted the problem?
uzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 18:18   #124
Dynosaur
GoldMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzyg View Post
I have taken my the caps off the wheels and the bolt/nut on each wheel seems to be locked in tight.

I was under the impression that these bolts come 'loose' and therefore need replacing. i didnt want to loosen mine as I havent got the xc90 ones yet.

Can anyone confirm if there original bolts were on tight but replcaing them with the xc90 ones sorted the problem?
Yep, I can.

Axle ping even after new, freshly-torqued S80 bolts.

Changed to rubbery XC90's and no more ping!

Absorutely rubbery!
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 10:04   #125
nobby007

I've just had a turbo replaced and since found that the injectors had caused the problem 2002 D5 ( these had only been refurbished by volvo 2 years ago at a cost of £1200. the fantastic chaps at New City Volvlo Preston replaced all 5 for £250 !!

I had the same knocking noise and this was apparantly caused by the injectors.
nobby007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 00:47   #126
mainjetmike

Hi, mY s60 T5, 2005 , 35k miles , owned from new , has had a clicking noise when pulling away forwards or backwards from drivers side, for the last few months . I havent been to the dealers as I thought it must be cv joint and it will be a fortune. Ive checked discs, pads and cv boot gator all seem ok.

Could this clicking noise ( sounds like chicken bones rubbing together ) be the clonking noises or axle ping as described by the axle bolts and if so I am off to buy soemxc90 bolts !

Thanks.

Mike
mainjetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 18:02   #127
Andy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainjetmike View Post
Could this clicking noise ( sounds like chicken bones rubbing together ) be the clonking noises or axle ping as described by the axle bolts and if so I am off to buy soemxc90 bolts !
Certainly could be. Mine would give a clonk when pulling away and reversing from stationary. I think it's the slight slack being taken up. It also used to have a metallic pinging/clicking sound when turning at low speed, which is a axle ping (there's a surprise! lol).
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 19:01   #128
mainjetmike

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Certainly could be. Mine would give a clonk when pulling away and reversing from stationary. I think it's the slight slack being taken up. It also used to have a metallic pinging/clicking sound when turning at low speed, which is a axle ping (there's a surprise! lol).

XC90 bolts fitted and now my s60 is all quiet again ! Thanks very much as I was about to replace the drive shafts !
mainjetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 22:32   #129
Andy
Master Member

Top result Those bolts aren't cheap though, but they do work!!
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 22:36   #130
dicktheleg

I've just had the osf outer CV joint replaced because of clicking when on left lock, I now have a very distinct clicking when on overrun, ie foot off throttle down hill or coming up to traffic lights, also when coming on and off the throttle. I thought the new CV may be suspect (non OEM) but I'm beginning to think it might be the problem described in this thread, maybe the garage cured one problem but induced another.
Any thoughts chaps?
dicktheleg is offline   Reply With Quote