Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

Views : 648376

Replies : 1366

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2023, 00:19   #1311
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

That's been my experience too, 'L.S', and Alan's shed doesn't look to be in the first flush of youth!

I've replaced one or two over the years myself and they're not that expensive. Our 6'x8' is nearing the end of it's useful life and we've been looking at replacements. Depending on quality, £500 to £1000 should cover it. The present one is now over 20 years old, so I don't think that is too bad. It's replacement will probably see me out!

Regards, John.
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 08:52   #1312
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
That's been my experience too, 'L.S', and Alan's shed doesn't look to be in the first flush of youth!

I've replaced one or two over the years myself and they're not that expensive. Our 6'x8' is nearing the end of it's useful life and we've been looking at replacements. Depending on quality, £500 to £1000 should cover it. The present one is now over 20 years old, so I don't think that is too bad. It's replacement will probably see me out!

Regards, John.
In my brother’s garden at the family home is an old Railway lamp shed that my dad bought for a fiver when they closed Thorpe station in the Peak District. Inch thick Oregon pine and a slate roof. No rot present.

There is a picture in a book of the shed in 1899, so it’s not done so bad!
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 10:20   #1313
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
In my brother’s garden at the family home is an old Railway lamp shed that my dad bought for a fiver when they closed Thorpe station in the Peak District. Inch thick Oregon pine and a slate roof. No rot present.

There is a picture in a book of the shed in 1899, so it’s not done so bad!
There are sheds, Andrew, and then there are sheds! J.
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 10:49   #1314
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Looking at that pic Alan, i'd be inclined to put the new garage/worhsop further towards the back and leave the existing shed next to the gates that appear to be large enough to drive through?
If the brochure pic you showed earlier is available with the barn doors on the left rather than the right of the building, it would give straight access through the gates straight into the workshop.

One of the factors in my suggestion is that i've moved a few old sheds in my time - it's never been pretty!

Often the sheds in question haven't gone back as they should because of poor wood condition or it's not been possible to rebuild them after moving.
That is a possibility also Dave. There would be enough room to do that and the whole gardens are already gravelled for low maintenance.
I'll put that on the list of things to consider on 31 January.
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 10:56   #1315
Othen
Premier Member

Getting back to Volvo Amazon business: I renewed GAM's insurance this week for just £58.90 (which included some basic recovery cover). It is hard not to like that motor car
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 16:48   #1316
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'm more excited about the thought of acquiring 2-3 more garages (and the subsequent cars/bikes/etc) than I am about the house.
Sounds like you might be on the path to Garage Mahal

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/bui...t-off-the-bat/

You should have been more selective in your review of the real estate listings. You should have searched using the 'guy specific' terms - Well finished garage with included house.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 20:36   #1317
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Sounds like you might be on the path to Garage Mahal

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/bui...t-off-the-bat/

You should have been more selective in your review of the real estate listings. You should have searched using the 'guy specific' terms - Well finished garage with included house.
… I tried searching for a ‘6 car garage with a lean-to house’ on Rightmove but nothing came up
Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 15:10   #1318
Derek UK
VOC Member

Made me look around Skeggy. Prices being lower by by at least a third than around here in Medway. This popped up. Sold stc.
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properti...hannel=RES_BUY

Double garage and nice flat parking plus lots of land for another big workshop.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 16:53   #1319
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Made me look around Skeggy. Prices being lower by by at least a third than around here in Medway. This popped up. Sold stc.

I did likewise, Derek. Found several bungalows in the K£150-200 range the like of which would be at least K£100 dearer in our village. Some were leasehold, which may not appeal to everyone, but it caused me to wonder why property is so comparitively cheap in Skeggy.

Whatever the reason, I am sure that Alan will be very happy there and look forward to reading about the projects, with the property and with the new 'toys' that he will no doubt acquire to play with there!

Alan, I salute you! How about a boat now that you live at the seaside? Perhaps one fitted with a Penta engine to provide Volvo content? Seriously, good luck in your new abode.

Regards, John.
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 15:13   #1320
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I did likewise, Derek. Found several bungalows in the K£150-200 range the like of which would be at least K£100 dearer in our village. Some were leasehold, which may not appeal to everyone, but it caused me to wonder why property is so comparitively cheap in Skeggy.

Whatever the reason, I am sure that Alan will be very happy there and look forward to reading about the projects, with the property and with the new 'toys' that he will no doubt acquire to play with there!

Alan, I salute you! How about a boat now that you live at the seaside? Perhaps one fitted with a Penta engine to provide Volvo content? Seriously, good luck in your new abode.

Regards, John.
You are right chaps - Lincolnshire is relatively cheap (particularly for a southern boy like me).

Skeggy is generally pretty reasonable (compared with the south), but it is also very much a buyer's market at the moment, and cash is king. I'd been looking for distressed sales (probate, lasting power of attorney, projects that had run out of money, repossessions... that sort of thing) and the bungalow I've bought fitted the bill well. It is the product of a grant of probate and a lasting power of attorney where the children wanted the money quickly but had started off being much too greedy. The house had been on the market since March last year, initially at £295,000 (a very optimistic price that the agent should never have agreed to), it reduced in stages over the summer - chasing the market downwards but never quite catching it until the sellers decided to enter it for a public auction. There was little interest and bought it for £185,000. I think the 3 siblings are a bit miffed at having to accept £110,000 less than they thought they might get 10 months ago, but they don't really have anywhere else to turn as the public auction is the acid-test of value.

All of the above information would be accessible in the public domain, so I'm not fussy about confidentiality.

I'm quite pleased with the deal; as a cash buyer I could afford to pick and choose - and of course I let the sellers know that. I had no imperative and would have happily have moved on to another deal if they had not accepted.

This is just the way of the world: prices go up, prices go down... that is all.

PS. Exactly the same principle applies to buying older Volvos: the value of something is exactly what someone will pay for it, the seller's opinion regarding its worth is of no particular importance.

Last edited by Othen; Jan 3rd, 2024 at 15:29. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: