Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Soot Filter driving me crazy...HELP !

Views : 124794

Replies : 276

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2011, 21:29   #131
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
It's certainly not part of the fuel injection system.
To be honest Roy, I'm mystified as to why you think that statement is relevant to anything I've said. I'm becoming more and more convinced that we are talking about different parts of the car, and so it may be best if I simply thank you for your attempts to help, which I'm sure were well intentioned.

Feel free to have the last word. But as it's such a friendly forum, let's agree to disagree without falling out?
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 21:40   #132
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
To be honest Roy, I'm mystified as to why you think that statement is relevant to anything I've said. I'm becoming more and more convinced that we are talking about different parts of the car, and so it may be best if I simply thank you for your attempts to help, which I'm sure were well intentioned.

Feel free to have the last word. But as it's such a friendly forum, let's agree to disagree without falling out?
I was under the impression you thought it was for controling the air ratio which is controled by the injection system. Hence you appeared to me to be thinking it was part of the injection system.

Using a throttle to control the EGR gases is not something new for Volvo. That photo of a 2002 S40 engine I posted a few posts ago shows that.

The throttle valve on the D5 engine appears to be in the EGR return pipe from the exhaust to the intake.

I have the same thing on my pre DPF car but can't find a decent picture of it. No one seems to go further than cleaning the mixer plenum and it's in the EGR valve.

When mine eventually fails I'll take a photo of it.

Have you got your throttle replaced yet? I'd be interested to see if it was carboned up or a straight forward electrical fault?

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Apr 15th, 2011 at 21:46.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 21:57   #133
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

On removing the DPF Bill. I thought you really disliked it and thought it had no redeaming features, hence my suggestion, but I see you think it is worth keeping.

It's nice to know you're thinking about the enviroment.
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 09:41   #134
Bill_56
Premier Member

There's a very nice diagram of the EGR & related parts in this document on the VOC website, at page 15.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/New...-Technical.pdf

The distinction between Throttle Body & the EGR Throttle is clear to see, and I hope that is of some help.

Now, can anybody please confirm two questions for me...

(1) If the butterfly in the throttle body opposite the supply to inlet manifold, (item 8 in that diagram) is in the engine intake main airflow? If not, then I fail to see how any fresh air reaches the engine, which would be a serious design oversight that I suspect would have been noticed by now. But I may be missing something.

(2) If the same throttle body, item 8 (forgetting about the EGR throttle), was fitted prior to DPF-equipped cars (Euro IV, post 2005)?

Cheers,
- Bill
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_56 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 10:21   #135
Clan
Experienced Member

1 , Yes that butterfly IS in the main air flow .. from the air filter to manifold .

2, No it wasnt fitted to the original D5244T only when the engine was modified to the 185 bhp version in 2005 .
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 10:56   #136
chris vince

One point I haven't seen mentioned so far (I may be wrong) re: DPF life, is that the use of an incorrect grade of oil will drastically shorten the life of a DPF.
Cars with these filters need a class 'C' oil, i.e. a low SAPS oil.
Unsuitable oils containing Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous, Sulphur will produce excess ash and block the DPF.
I cannot see the wrong grade of oil being put in at a main stealership (hopefully), but a smaller independent who may possibly stock a 205 lt barrel of 'fits all' oil could get it wrong.
Lastly re: EGR's, my opinion is block them off if possible.
I have on my wife's 2003 D5, and my Nissan Navara, without any problems at all, only clear benefits of cleaner oil, smoother running engines and very significant fuel savings.
Their only purpose is to reduce Nitrous Oxide (old fashioned Smog, London pea-soupers), if they weren't fitted manufacturers couldn't sell their cars in many countries and USA states, the real reason.
But, in reducing NoX the recirculated exhaust soot blocks up air inlet tracts, contaminates engine oil with excess soot (possibly another reason for DPF failures), thickens oil, blocks up oilways, scours out bearings, and generally shortens engine life.
Alongside strangling the life and performance of engines by denying them their lifeblood, clean fresh air.
An also very unwanted effect is the dramatic increase in fuel usage.
Just my two'penarth.
Chris
chris vince is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris vince For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 11:57   #137
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
1 , Yes that butterfly IS in the main air flow .. from the air filter to manifold .

2, No it wasnt fitted to the original D5244T only when the engine was modified to the 185 bhp version in 2005 .
I take it there is some sort of valve though on the 163 bhp as the tech info says it is controlled by a solenoid instead of an electric motor on the 163 bhp, but mine dosn't appear to be in the main airflow. It is connected to it though. Or am I following the pipes incorrectly? My EGR gases look like they come from the exhaust through the cooler and into the inlet manifold. My version of the butterfly valve looks to be on the exhaust side before the main inlet so would only control the EGR gases, but by omission affect the air flow. ie exhaust gas replaces air.

For anyone thinking of removing the EGR flow. The engine will run too hot without the EGR gases. The engine is designed to work with them cooling the system and improving combustion.

Very usful document Bill Thanks.
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 12:02   #138
Clan
Experienced Member

some confusion again ,
yes there is a electronicaly controlled valve on both versions to control exhaust gas into the mixer unit , but the 185 bhp vesions also have an electronically controlled air throttle controlling the main air supply into the mixer unit from the air filter .. (the mixer unit is that cast alloy pipe on the front of the engine which the EGR is fixed to) The 163 bhp doesnt have an air throttle it gets a full supply of fresh air from the air filter at all times
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 12:12   #139
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Sorry Bill I didn't realise your engine had an extra butterfly valve over mine. I take it your main air intake one has failed? Not the EGR one? In which case it's not going to be carboned up I would have thought, just electronic motor failure.
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 12:17   #140
chris vince

[QUOTE=RoyMacDonald;886680]
For anyone thinking of removing the EGR flow. The engine will run too hot without the EGR gases. The engine is designed to work with them cooling the system and improving combustion.

Not quite right.
The only reason for the introduction of exhaust gases into the combustion chambers, is to reduce the amount of available oxygen and replace it with inert, dirty, sooty waste.
A by product of this is a reduction in combustion temperature within the cylinders.
Nox production, is dependent on the amount of oxygen available, and the temperature (higher) of the combustion process.
The engine will actually run cooler with a charge of cool fresh air drawn in through an intercooler (but will contain too much oxygen and produce too much Nox), rather than receiving a charge of hot exhaust gases.
Dirty exhaust gas is almost inert, it can't possibly improve the combustion process, which can only be done with oxygen that is present in air, hence the introduction of turbo and super chargers.
The more air that is forced into a cylinder the more powerful and hence efficient an engine will be.
Chris
chris vince is offline   Reply With Quote