Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help!! have I bought a lemon?!?

Views : 14392

Replies : 168

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2013, 19:30   #131
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

That V50 might be worth a look if its right on your doorstep.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 16:11   #132
PaulieOfArrod

No, I don't think I've received it as yet, though the wife does put things in strange places..

I've received a call from Frank today, which I recorded, with his knowledge. He said that he wants to come to my house, collect the car, leave me a courtesy car, and go away and do the repair, then return the car, etc.

I've been putting a timeline together, looking at court guidance, and going through the forum posts, and I've seen some links in posts people kindly provided that I seemed to have overlooked previously, including CAB guidance, local authority guidance and even the autotrader website. Having seen these I am more confident in my right to receive a refund, but also it is clear that the longer I leave it, and the more I cooperate with any attempts by Frank to repair the car, the weaker my position to demand a refund..hence needing to stand my ground - which also feels right as well in response to Frank's efforts to bully and manipulate.

I explained this to Frank. Frank said he would be putting his offer in writing. I will also be writing to him to say I'm rejecting the offer he made verbally on the phone, and confirm that I'm not using the car (confirming the mileage), and I'm buying another car and switching the insurance over, confirming some extras I'll seek to claim, confirming I want the name of the relevant person and communication only in writing from now on, etc etc.
PaulieOfArrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 17:37   #133
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

This would be setting the alarm bells ringing for me. He seems keen to do a repair rather than refund you. You say you paid £1500 for the car, so the repair has got to be cheaper for him. What sort of repair is it going to be would be my worry.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 17:49   #134
Norfolk Jim
Norfolk Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi-fan View Post
This would be setting the alarm bells ringing for me. He seems keen to do a repair rather than refund you. You say you paid £1500 for the car, so the repair has got to be cheaper for him. What sort of repair is it going to be would be my worry.
Snap - we all know how much it costs to repair a gearbox!

Glad you said no Paul. Stick with it and then see if you can get the free half hour with a solicitor and get them to do a letter for you.
Norfolk Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Norfolk Jim For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 18:03   #135
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

I would imagine this cowboy knows he's bound by the Sale Of Goods Act, and he's gonna shell out the least amount of money as possible. I'd be very wary as to how the car is going to be bodged up this time.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 18:22   #136
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieOfArrod View Post
I've received a call from Frank today, which I recorded, with his knowledge.
Be wary of how you use that.

To the best of my knowledge, and contrary to urban myth, it is perfectly legal record calls (or any other conversations) either with or without the other party's knowledge or consent. However, you cannot play the recording back to a third party without his consent for it to be replayed, regardless of whether he knew you were recording it. Limited use as evidence then, and also you want to avoid any amunition for 'counter claims' against yourself.

Source:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archi...qs/prvfaq3.htm
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_56 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 19:35   #137
Norfolk Jim
Norfolk Jim

He really does sound like Frank the W*** - he needs the old pile of manure on the forecourt from god ole Narfolk to do the trick
Norfolk Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 20:35   #138
RM955I
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
Be wary of how you use that.

To the best of my knowledge, and contrary to urban myth, it is perfectly legal record calls (or any other conversations) either with or without the other party's knowledge or consent. However, you cannot play the recording back to a third party without his consent for it to be replayed, regardless of whether he knew you were recording it. Limited use as evidence then, and also you want to avoid any amunition for 'counter claims' against yourself.

Source:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archi...qs/prvfaq3.htm
you can use a sworn transcript of the conversation if it's not too lengthy.
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 17:02   #139
PaulieOfArrod

Quick update: I got a brief, pretty sloppily written letter from the outfit the dealer uses to handle these situations for them..reiterating their offer to pick the car up and leave a courtesy car etc. I've replied restating my position and asking them to confirm the legal entity I'm actually dealing with here. They have until Thurs next week to give me the money in full or a claim gets filed.

I had a thought the other day which was this..If Frank hadn't come accross as a manipulative buddy and had appealed to me in a polite and honest way, I might have been tempted to not do this, and let them attempt the repair. The reason I feel I've had no choice though was Frank's behaviour - unwillingness to discuss or even hear what I believed my rights were, being aggresive and trying to coerce, and that also made me feel like I couldn't juust let him bulldoze me, or trust that he'd go on to sort a decent repair out. Gave me a bad view and feeling about the yard, full stop. And the same things make me feel now like I've got to see it through (that and many of the supportive comments I've received on here!).
PaulieOfArrod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaulieOfArrod For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 17:26   #140
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Cheers Paul. I know exactly what you mean, and how you feel. Why do these people seem to have the attitude of why don't you just 'make do with it' and sod off. Used cars Are just £££ notes to these people, and when they're sold, that's it, they don't want to know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rossi-fan For This Useful Post: