Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 rear wiper issues + solution

Views : 75999

Replies : 186

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2014, 13:42   #131
R-P
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
The resting position is determined by the layout of copper tracks on the big white cog. It's possible they've slipped...?

Makes sense what you are saying, but I *think* it is all in place.
You don't see the hole in the front of the wheel, so you can't tell from the pic I guess...
ATM it doesn't bug me enough to warrant me taking it all apart to check...

Last edited by R-P; Feb 25th, 2014 at 13:45.
R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 16:53   #132
anatolisnki

I have manufactured cogwheels for the rear wiper # 8667188.
If you are interested in the cog, please visit http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=201507
The cogwheels are made of lathe and milling machine.
anatolisnki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 21:24   #133
53catalina

Hi all,
my wiper wasn't working so i tried the above, The axle shaft was seized, so duly cleaned and greased and rebuilt.
Also checked the motor and brushes, all ok.
i have a good 12v at the plug where it joins the loom, and earth too is good.

It still doesn't work!!

I left the wiper unpluged where it joins the loom, and hit the switch on the wiper stalk. I hear a clicking sound that i thought was thermal overload, coming from the rear fuse box area.

Is it possible that a relay might be at fault, rather than the motor? Nothing is connected so i cant understand why I hear this clicking sound.

If you can give any ideas it would be appreciated, otherwise i will bite the bullet and buy another unit from the breakers yard.

Thanks
Dan
53catalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 21:38   #134
Doodorius

Hi,
About 10 months I didn't use rear wiper and because of this it get broken. Metal gears and axis was rusted so much that you cant move it even by hand. I cleaned everything and lubricated. After that rear wiper motor started work but very noisy. How to fix this noise?
Doodorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 22:26   #135
watcher

Hi there! Do you know what exactly is the third (orange) element at the PCB on your pictures? A capacitor or else, I have to replace it but I don't know what's that...

VOLVO 440 1.9TD '95
watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2015, 11:51   #136
R-P
Master Member

I think it is a small capacitor. It typically wil dampen voltage spikes caused by e.g. sudden braking of a current or dampen (prevent) oscillation. (It shorts high frequencies and does nothing for DC. There is no need for high frequency signals in this PCB so it will dampen/short them.)

Many times there will be a value on it in pF (pico Farad's) which in turn can be e.g. 5 104 (means 5 times 10 to the power of 4, so 5 x 10000 = 50000pico farad = 50nano farad).

I think. May be rusty, so google to verify.

Old Jul 7th, 2015, 21:09   #137
watcher

The problem is that mine is blown, so I cannot read its mark. Somewhere on the web I've found a similar signage, which was looking more like "S 104". In both cases "104" means 100nF and the only question remaining is what is its voltage? I couldn't fine anything below 25V, so called "automotive". Anyway, thanks for your prompt reply, R-P!

VOLVO 440 1.9TD '95
watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 06:51   #138
goldxc70

Default Great thread!

I followed the thread and removed my non-functioning motor. On disassembling it, I found that the centre of the the three fingers under the main gear (white) was badly corroded. I cleaned and greased everything up, removed any corrosion I found and reassembled. It now works again. One issue was great difficulty in removing the wiper arm from the spindle. I used a gear puller and eventually got the arm off. Unfortunately, in the process, I splayed the end of the washer tube so my have further issues with that in the future.
goldxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 19:20   #139
R-P
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher View Post
The problem is that mine is blown, so I cannot read its mark. Somewhere on the web I've found a similar signage, which was looking more like "S 104". In both cases "104" means 100nF and the only question remaining is what is its voltage? I couldn't fine anything below 25V, so called "automotive". Anyway, thanks for your prompt reply, R-P!
Less prompt reply this time. Voltage of 25 or over should be fine. 100V would be perfect too.

So it would be 10 x 10^4 pico farads then, so 100nF. Good thing you googled it instead of trusting my memory. ..

@Goldxc70: as shown I damaged mine a little too, but so far so good... hope you have the same luck.

Last edited by R-P; Oct 18th, 2015 at 19:22.
Old Nov 26th, 2015, 15:35   #140
R-P
Master Member

Sorry 'bout the pics disappearing...

I had a free imageshack account.

Then they only had paid subscriptions, but promised my old pics would stay up forever.

Now they have reconsidered...

If there are any good free sites that keep pics regardless of how often they are viewed, and the mods let me modify my first post, I might be able t put a few back up (provided I can still find them at home).