Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 928561

Replies : 6586

Users Viewing This Thread : Jackman

Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 11:45   #1411
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Round my neck of the woods, being at least a metre from the kerb/edge of the road is a necessity!

There is so much subsidance, particularly on rural roads here where the edges of the road are sinking into dykes or the edge of marsh and/or agricultural land that driving within a metre of the kerb/verge would have you visiting a chiropractor followed by a dentist - first to get your back sorted out so you could walk again and the second to repalce the fillings and/or teeth shaken loose in the process of doing your back in!

One particular place has recurrent subsidance despite having been resurfaced about 3 times in the 9 ish years i've been here. When it's bad, it's perfectly capable of writing off dampers if you catch it wrong at anything over 30mph (and has done on more than 2 of my cars) so i now either slow down to ~20mph or swing over to the other side of the road (if safe to do so) to avoid it.

Might upset other people but they're not paying for my dampers or time to fit them and repairing any other damage caused.
Amen brother you are preaching to the converted here! I often find my journey home takes an apparently strange meandering path from one side of the road to the other and not because I have been at the Bacardi again.

There's a stretch just after the turn for the Ramsey 40ft where it's get left into the gutter then right on the other side of the road then straddle the middle line as the road ripples its way out of Chatteris.

I find I can keep up a good pace following this weird line but if there is on coming traffic then 30 mph tops will just about save your Oil Pan and Springs
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 12:33   #1412
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisthewarlock View Post
Amen brother you are preaching to the converted here! I often find my journey home takes an apparently strange meandering path from one side of the road to the other and not because I have been at the Bacardi again.

There's a stretch just after the turn for the Ramsey 40ft where it's get left into the gutter then right on the other side of the road then straddle the middle line as the road ripples its way out of Chatteris.

I find I can keep up a good pace following this weird line but if there is on coming traffic then 30 mph tops will just about save your Oil Pan and Springs
You live in my favourite part of England!

Creeping down the " forty-foot" in the icy winters of the early eighties, taking limestone to the sugar works at Queen Adelaide. Could have gone around by the A14(now), and the A10, no challenge in that!

Could go on for hours but won't!
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 13:04   #1413
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
You live in my favourite part of England!

Creeping down the " forty-foot" in the icy winters of the early eighties, taking limestone to the sugar works at Queen Adelaide. Could have gone around by the A14(now), and the A10, no challenge in that!

Could go on for hours but won't!
Sugar works at Queen Adelaide? Tell me more! (if nobody else minds a slight digression of course!)

I lived near QA for about a decade until moving where i am now about 9 years ago, never came across anything sugar-related at QA but did hear omething mentioned about it so would like to know more.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 13:08   #1414
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
This old bus is interesting, the seller describes it as having the 'Infamous Redblock engine'... I rather suspect that was not exactly what he/she meant :-)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133946122...53.m1438.l2649

... anyway, it doesn't seem to have affected the bidding, it is up to £3,220 already with a day of the auction to go. This one is a bit rough around the edges (220,000 miles, 10 owners, bit of rust, lots of cosmetic issues) so I'd have put it at no more than £3,000 - but monitoring the market is what this thread is all about so perhaps prices are strengthening a bit?

Alan

PS. This auction has an interesting pattern of bids: 52 bids from 5 different bidders and it has gone up in very small increments. It looks like just two bidders are interested in that only they have taken it on from £1,900 - but I suppose just two interested bidders is all an auction needs to achieve a good price.
This was a bit of an odd auction: there were 52 bids from 5 bidders in the first 4 days, then nothing, not another bid so the auction finished at £3,220 - which is just about where the guide would put it (top of the middling section).

The seller claimed it was 'Maybe not a show car but not far from it' - but I doubt that many would agree with his assessment. The auction didn't reach the buyer's reserve, so he/she must consider it worth a bit more than 3 grand - just how much does he/she think a middling 32 year old Volvo 240 estate is worth I wonder.

Perhaps we will see this one being put through the strainer again soon.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Dec 3rd, 2021 at 13:11.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 13:19   #1415
Othen
Premier Member

Another old bus, this time a 1993 Torslanda estate:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115109969...53.m1438.l2649

... I'd have thought it would be similar to the estate car above that didn't make its reserve at £3,220. This one would also be in the upper half of the middling cars - so it might make £3,000 if the guide is right.

Bidding is so hard to predict, the estate car above attracted 52 bids in 4 days, this one only 12 bids in 6 days - I suppose it is just down to who is in the room when the hammer drops.

:-)
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 13:56   #1416
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Another old bus, this time a 1993 Torslanda estate:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115109969...53.m1438.l2649

... I'd have thought it would be similar to the estate car above that didn't make its reserve at £3,220. This one would also be in the upper half of the middling cars - so it might make £3,000 if the guide is right.

Bidding is so hard to predict, the estate car above attracted 52 bids in 4 days, this one only 12 bids in 6 days - I suppose it is just down to who is in the room when the hammer drops.

:-)
It's one of those in what i would call "no mans land" in terms of desirability, price etc as it's apparently a base or near-base model (isn't that what Torslandas were - base models "jazzed up" with alloys etc?) with dull paintwork and an odd wheel (presumably had a puncture on the 4th alloy) and the basic 2.0 engine. This means while it may well be a good car technically, it doesn't have anything outstanding to recommend it as a better buy than another.

A few hours with T-Cut or similar followed by a polish and then wax would have the paint bright and shiny again but it's things like the odd wheel that would put prospective buyers off.

It has bids though so obviously there are those that aren't put off but i wonder if they've noticed th odd wheel?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 15:35   #1417
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Sugar works at Queen Adelaide? Tell me more! (if nobody else minds a slight digression of course!)

I lived near QA for about a decade until moving where i am now about 9 years ago, never came across anything sugar-related at QA but did hear omething mentioned about it so would like to know more.
PM sent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 15:37   #1418
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
It's one of those in what i would call "no mans land" in terms of desirability, price etc as it's apparently a base or near-base model (isn't that what Torslandas were - base models "jazzed up" with alloys etc?) with dull paintwork and an odd wheel (presumably had a puncture on the 4th alloy) and the basic 2.0 engine. This means while it may well be a good car technically, it doesn't have anything outstanding to recommend it as a better buy than another.

A few hours with T-Cut or similar followed by a polish and then wax would have the paint bright and shiny again but it's things like the odd wheel that would put prospective buyers off.

It has bids though so obviously there are those that aren't put off but i wonder if they've noticed th odd wheel?
I must admit Dave, I hadn't noticed the odd wheel (but then I wasn't interested in bidding).

Alan
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 16:42   #1419
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:

Good long ownership and genuine reason indicated for the sale. A good base maybe for someone.
Owner obviously loves it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 16:46   #1420
kiloran

I'm in the used (modern) market at the moment and prices are indeed crazy, made worse by the global chip shortage and other supply chain issues. Seeing 1 year old low-milers selling for more than new price. Admittedly this is for an EV, where the govt grant complicates matters a little. But I'm also seeing low mileage 9yo city cars (Up/Mii/Citigo) selling for around 50% of their new price!