Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 rear wiper issues + solution

Views : 75763

Replies : 186

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2016, 12:23   #141
Hedgepig

Smile Wiper arm removal tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-P View Post
This should just slide off. You can use the arm to leverage a little, but be gentle as it is glass you're working on...

Also beware that my advice comes from fiddling with a right-side wiper, yours seems to be a left-side version.
I am assuming they are the same, but do not know this for a fact!
Hi!
I managed to pry the arm off with the help of a little hot water. (I've now purchased a small puller to do this if I need to in the future). Cover the glass around the spindle with thick rags and very gently trickle hot water on to the spindle assembly whilst wiggling and pulling the arm base. It does take a few minutes, but it works.
Hedgepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 12:55   #142
53catalina

My fault was a broken wire at the hinge.
Eventually fixed after 2 years!
The lock wire was also broken, and two others were close to failure.
An evening of soldering has now fixed the faults

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53catalina View Post
Hi all,
my wiper wasn't working so i tried the above, The axle shaft was seized, so duly cleaned and greased and rebuilt.
Also checked the motor and brushes, all ok.
i have a good 12v at the plug where it joins the loom, and earth too is good.

It still doesn't work!!

I left the wiper unpluged where it joins the loom, and hit the switch on the wiper stalk. I hear a clicking sound that i thought was thermal overload, coming from the rear fuse box area.

Is it possible that a relay might be at fault, rather than the motor? Nothing is connected so i cant understand why I hear this clicking sound.

If you can give any ideas it would be appreciated, otherwise i will bite the bullet and buy another unit from the breakers yard.

Thanks
Dan
53catalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 12:56   #143
53catalina

To remove the arm on mine I had to use a dremel with cutting disc on it, and cut the arm off the spindle.
A new arm was found at the local scrap yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgepig View Post
Hi!
I managed to pry the arm off with the help of a little hot water. (I've now purchased a small puller to do this if I need to in the future). Cover the glass around the spindle with thick rags and very gently trickle hot water on to the spindle assembly whilst wiggling and pulling the arm base. It does take a few minutes, but it works.
53catalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 10:11   #144
skv70d5

The pictures don't seem to exist. :-(
skv70d5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 22:02   #145
skv70d5

Red face Thank you

R-P, thank you for this post. Even though the pictures are no longer accessible, I was able to figure out how to dismantle the gearbox.

I was faced with rustified white grease (it has been sparingly applied by the looks of it), which after a good clean-up and an ample greasing, resolved this issue.

TIP: I initially tried contact spray and WD40 as cleaning agents, but they were not giving good results, so in the end I utilised my brake disc cleaner which worked perfectly.

There seems to be two O rings. One directly under the nozzle, and another under the plastic cap of the axle arm (This O ring and cap only came out when I re-inserted the axle after initial removal to see if it was free to move which its shaft).

I found that dismantling did not move the internal sleeve which the axle arm rotates within; however, during reassembly, this internal sleeve started to protrude out of the casing when the axle arm was being slid through it.

To get round this, I inserted the plastic cap, stood that end onto the ratchet end of a socket, and then inserted the axle arm, which prevented the internal sleeve from protruding. Once the gearbox casing was secured, I then utilised an open jaw spanner that was just larger than the axle arm, along with a socket on top of the spanners open jaw face, to tap the plastic cap fully home within the casing.

I am sorry to say that I forgot to take photo's myself.
skv70d5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skv70d5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 19:47   #146
ulfjonas

Default Pictures?

Why isnt the pictures in the thread showing?
ulfjonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 20:27   #147
andyredz
andyredz - c30 r design

Very comprehensive - thanks!
andyredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2016, 22:55   #148
jnmonaghan

Default Rear Wiper Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonsdad View Post
Done all this, it is easier than it looks, because motor wasn't working but after freeing everything and reassembling I find the teeth are stripped on the white wheel and it now doesn't do the full cycle. Any suggestions?
With the approaching winter in mind, I would recommend not to switch the rear wiper on if there is frost on the rear screen. - The internals of the wiper motor will be frozen & doing so will likely strip the teeth of the white plastic cog wheel within the motor.

Jude
jnmonaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 13:49   #149
PaulV

Default White Wheel !!

Hello All, this is my first time on forum so hope I'm doing this correctly.
I too probably (not taken the motor out yet but have read all the posts on here and sounds like a cog issue on my motor) will need a cog. Searched on the net and found this
https://www.innofil3d.com/3d-printed...r-motor-volvo/

If anyone kniws anyone with a 3d printer the file for the print can be downloaded!!

I'm going to see if i can find someone. All the best
PaulV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulV For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 15:26   #150
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulV View Post
Hello All, this is my first time on forum so hope I'm doing this correctly.
I too probably (not taken the motor out yet but have read all the posts on here and sounds like a cog issue on my motor) will need a cog. Searched on the net and found this
https://www.innofil3d.com/3d-printed...r-motor-volvo/

If anyone kniws anyone with a 3d printer the file for the print can be downloaded!!

I'm going to see if i can find someone. All the best
This is great but are there not contacts on one side of the cog which are needed to auto-park the wiper blade?

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan

Last edited by ShadeTek; Dec 30th, 2017 at 15:30.
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote