Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Generation XC60

Views : 35114

Replies : 446

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2017, 16:03   #151
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
May I suggest that some users on this thread might find that making use of the Ignore List will improve their experience of the forum.
And I would also suggest the some people need to learn how to not feed the trolls....

STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS....

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 16:20   #152
Considered1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev78 View Post
I'm not the one who gets "wound up".

All I do is state that a 2.0lt 4 pot 50k xc60 is laughable. How is a D4 XC60 worth 2 v40 d4's?

The problem on here is that non of you are sensible adults with your own beliefs. Just a bunch of brainwashed idiots who think everything Volvo is great.

This is barely a forum. Anyone who questions anything Volvo do is attacked by a bunch of Volvo fanatics. Is more like an appreciation society of crap cars.

I wouldn't be bothered if I was banned. I guarantee this is the most boring car forum on earth. Just read through it. It's brain numbingly dull.

Just a bunch of strange Volvo obsessed people who cannot give a reasoned or sensible response to anything I say. The standard answer is "every car manufacturer is doing this" and no they aren't.

So like I asked previously. How is a well spec'd xc60 D4 worth 2 v40 D4's?

The whole point of a forum is to discuss. Not just say "Volvo are great and do no wrong, anyone who says different is a child. German cars are ****". When they are clearly building cheap, crap, budget cars and charging premium prices.

The reason non of you worry about v6's is because you all drive around at 30 mph with dash cams.

The fact is S90/V90/XC90 and soon to be XC60 are all cheap, substandard rubbish with a huge price tag. Cheap engines, suspension, electrics and everything else. They're built like citroens FFS.

Funny how you all ignored the v90 owner who agrees the suspension is "van like".

Now at least I know why Volvo think they can get away with this. It's because many of their buyers a blinkered fools who would never buy anything else.

It makes me smile how most who really defend the new cars on here don't own/can't afford one.

Rory says he's had new range rovers and other cars. He's test drove the xc90 and loves it....yet he drives a v40?

Says it all really. TBH I don't believe he's drove a xc90 at all....or had a new Range Rover. It's total bs like everything else a select few of you spout.

Have a nice weekend
Kev - you don't know any of us and I take offence to your remarks as I am none of those.
You repeat yourself time and time again and take up too much of my time with your crap insults. Why don't you just leave or do we need a whip round to pay you off, so you can do something more interesting with your life. Folks come on hear wanting advice and experiences, not your constant repeat episodes. How much have you got left on your lease/finance, might be worth it guys?
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 16:21   #153
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
May I suggest that some users on this thread might find that making use of the Ignore List will improve their experience of the forum.
I've started using it recently. It definitely makes reading some threads a calmer experience.
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 17:26   #154
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I've started using it recently. It definitely makes reading some threads a calmer experience.
I find it amusing that somebody who doesn't know me seems to think he can summarise what I think, can afford or not afford based on a couple of posts.

Of course we all want different things and have different priorities. For some of us it's not about the price or the number of cylinders but the overall package. I may pick the older 6 cylinder Boxster over the new 4 cylinder because the howl of the 6 is part of the experience in a sports car, but in my softroader on the M1 I want refinement above all - however that is achieved.
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isleaiw For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 18:38   #155
Harvey1512
Premier Member

You aren't on my ignore list. Calm down ��. The comment about the ignore list was a general one and not targeted at anyone.

In regards to your comment here please feel free to copy paste any quote I've made that could be construed as criticism of you or an assumption of the points you made.

Last edited by Harvey1512; Mar 11th, 2017 at 18:41.
Harvey1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 18:39   #156
Waggatron

Cars, by any manufacturer, are extremely complicated pieces of machinery. Yes, they are going to go wrong now and then. Over the years I've owned cars from many manufacturers and each had its own foibles which gave it soul and enabled me to build a bond with it. My current XC60 has had more trips to the dealers than my previous one (mainly EGR fault) but that hasn't in any way dampened my love for the car....it remains a perfect family car for me, bought with both head and heart, and I have enjoyed every minute of ownership.

Also comparing engine sizes is pointless. The best car I've ever had the privaledge of driving was a Brabham BT38. It had a "piddly" 1.6 Lotus twin cam (yes, and it was a four pot too). But it was designed for the track and accelerated, cornered and stopped like nothing I've ever experienced. So yes I guess and XC60 V6 would be nice, but it wouldn't really improve my ownership experience or improve how safely or comfortably I can transport my family around with all their gubbins crammed in the boot.

Do I like this new iteration of the XC60.....absolutely. Would I buy a third on the trot....possibly. But if I do move on, it will simply because I want a change for the sake of a change.....as this new XC60 will still tick every requirement on my list with respect to safe, comfortable, roomy, eye catching transport.
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waggatron For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 21:01   #157
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

For information a few of my cars and the new XC90 I had on loan for three days. I'll take some photos of the others tomorrow if the weather is not too bad, or as soon as the weather clears up if it is.

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 030.jpg (380.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 037.jpg (329.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Autumn1.jpg (379.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg New-XC90-1.jpg (358.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg RangeRoverV81.jpg (194.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg RangeRoverV82.jpg (219.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg XC90Williams-Coat.jpg (391.7 KB, 41 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 21:39   #158
marchesman

Rats. I've only got one - between two of us. But on the other hand I did work out the other day that in the course of a year I travel further on foot and bicycle than I do in a car.

I'll get my coat.
marchesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 21:46   #159
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2srt View Post
In some respects Kev78 does make a valid point, why on earth would you pay 50k for a 4 cylinder car when you could have a vee or straight 6! Whilst my X5 does lack the understated class of Volvo I have to say that it has performed impeccably. Whereas my XC60 had a few 'issues' in the 3 and a bit years that i owned it. SWMBO's V40 D4 has also had a few gremlins creep in. I'm also finding that the six pot likes to sip fuel at a slightly slower rate then the new XC90 D5 that I had when my XC60 was in the garage for a week. Small, highly boosted engines only tend to be economical in a very narrow operational window!
When Audi switched the TT from a V6 to an inline five pot the power to weight ratio increased hugely, and the result, a faster better handling car.

I haven't had the pleasure of the V60 Polestar straight 6 and new straight 4 version but I would guess the result is the same, but with the increased offset crash safety.

The whole issue is that big multi cylinder engines are old technology. Ever since the start of the 20th centaury, engines have been getting smaller, lighter and developing more power from less cylinders. And as for reliability, how many 6 cylinder engine cars are in the Volvo high mileage register? The majority are 4 or 5 cylinder. Big engines are fun but in a retro way. I recognised that a few days after buying my 4.4 litre V8 Range. The dream did not live up to present day reality. It did not sound like a V8, did not seem to drive any better than the new XC90, and the fuel consumption was abysmal in comparison. The D5 in my XC60 sounds more like a V8 than the Range did. Silence can be an attraction in itself but what is the point in consuming extra fuel on one virtually silent engine when you can reduce fuel consumption with a different virtually silent engine when the smaller engine produces the same performance which is more than enough in modern traffic anyway.

No combustion engine car in the average persons budget is going to out perform the new Electric engine vehicles in the near future anyway. These 4 pots may be the end cycle of the combustion engine anyway.

You only have to look at Volvo's increasing year on year sales figures to see that the general car buying public don't care that all the cars have 4 cylinder engines and buy into the safety protection a Volvo gives. Driving on public roads is the most dangerous thing the majority of us will ever do so it makes sense to me.

Roy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 21:52   #160
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchesman View Post
Rats. I've only got one - between two of us. But on the other hand I did work out the other day that in the course of a year I travel further on foot and bicycle than I do in a car.

I'll get my coat.
When I was racing my training and racing program involved 20k a year on my bicycle. I don't think I ever did that much annual mileage in a car.

Roy