Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A puzzle for the EGR valve expert/masochists out there...

Views : 19868

Replies : 170

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2015, 22:03   #151
Symes
Master Member

LOL, well best of luck with it anyway, never been to Prague but have heard it's rather nice ;-)
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 17:24   #152
ampmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkintKnuckles View Post
Hi Symes,

thanks for the feedback. My mechanic experience is in high performance motorcycle enginges, so the whole EGR valve/diesel angle is not playing to my strengths or experience. Thus, any diagrams or images you can dig out would really help me get a sense of what lies ahead and the way to approach a clean up.

The following may sound stupid, so apologies in advance! Am I right in thinking that inside the main housing of the EGR assembly (i.e. the piece of metal to which the throttle housing and EGR valve sensor attach) there is another valve/flap? By this I mean an additional valve/flap that is distinct from the butterfly inside the throtttle housing. I've been assuming that this is the case, but not had any diagram against which to check this, or prior experience of other cars with an EGR valve? I guess that the EGR valve position sensor must measure the position of some valve somewhere, but there is nothing that I can see by eye when the throttle housing is removed.

If there is such a valve, my guess is that its this, or the mechanism that moves it, that is my problem. Maybe I get lucky and its just gunked up and a clean will fix this!

cheers
Neil
There are two different types of EGR valve. The later one has a cylindrical shape tube cooler and the early one has a square tube cooler. The later one has the throttle housing and then bolts to the EGR which has a poppet type valve running front to back. When it's open it allows the exhaust gas to come up through the cooler, mixes with the turbo pressurised air feeding the engine and goes back through the engine.
That EGR valve is driven by a motor that operates a type of cam. On the other side of the cam is a plunger. The plunger goes through the plastic electronic control Part of the egr and interacts with a hall sensor. This detects if the EGR valve is open or closed and sends that data to the main ECU unit. It is difficult to do anything other than clean this unit as the electronics are sealed and the four torx bolts holding the electronic unit to the EGR body often rust solid and snap when you try and remove them. If you do manage to remove them you get access to the cam, the plastic plunger and two long electrical contacts that drive the motor that operates the poppet type valve. I hope that helps slightly.
ampmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 12:34   #153
MrLindqvist

Sorry for bump, but I'm not understanding why pin 1 voltage seems to be above the reference value 0-5v in the tests done in this thread. Is it ok to have a voltage over 5 volts on that pin?
I've skimmed through the thread, but I haven't found an answer. Am I missing something?
MrLindqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 15:45   #154
Christerart
VOC Member

I just read the whole thread - wow.

All I can say is there are some wonderful folks on this forum!

Kudos to all of you!
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 18:50   #155
john493
Spannering since birth

Guys
I've got a fault code ECM-4420 (EGR valve signal too low) code returns as soon as I delete it, any ideas where I should start please ?
Car starts & drives but well down on power, like it's in limp mode.

It's a V70 2.4D 163, phase 2, 2007.

Cheers
John
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john493 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 13:58   #156
john493
Spannering since birth

Chaps - is it possible to remove the EGR valve from the car, leaving the cooler in situ, or does it all need to be removed as one piece then separated on the bench ?
I know the 4 EGR to cooler bolts are tricky, I can see 3 of them but the 4th is well hidden, I can't see or feel it, let alone get a tool on it !
Thanks
John
(GS Addict)
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 14:03   #157
Dancake
Premier Member

The torx screws that hold the valve to the cooler are very tight. If you aren't on them properly, you run the risk of rounding them off. Your best bet would be to remove the valve and cooler as one, then split them on a bench. You can then clean the cooler out properly as well.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 17:02   #158
john493
Spannering since birth

Just changed my EGR valve & position sensor for a good spare I'd bought off eBay ages ago ! Cleared my ECM-4420 fault code with VIDA and all seems OK now.

Took the EGR & cooler off as one piece, whole job took about 4 hours in total. The most tricky part was re-connecting the flexi steel pipe that clamps onto the back of the cooler. Didn't bother draining any coolant, hardly any was lost when I removed the pipes from the cooler.

If I had to do the job again, it'd be much quicker - let's hope I don't have to ! Access is very tight along the side of the cooler area.
John
(GS Addict)
The Following User Says Thank You to john493 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 16:32   #159
Bonroo1989

Default i'm confused!

Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and did some searching, finding this post about EGR issues! (forgive me if there's a newer post somewhere!) can anyone shed some light on the symptoms i'm getting? so - I've plugged the car in, and it gives me fault codes of -

1A62 - communication with engine controol module, signal misssing
E000 - Control module communication, faulty communication

4430 - EGR valve, faulty signal
4450 - EGR position sensor, faulty signal
1870 - swirl actuator control, faulty signal

The most blatent symptom is that 'engine service required' is on the dashboard, and I have SOME throttle. Anything past 20% doesn't seem to exist? so consequently, going up hills becomes a bit slow! The instant MPG also doesn't seem to register anything past 20% throttle either. The turbo still kicks in, and i can still get to redline... eventually, so this surely means i'm not in any kind of limp mode? regardless of any of that, would I be right in saying that a replacment EGR minus the cooler would sort this problem? My other qualm, as seen in the codes is this ECM issue? Again (call me niave) would replacing this ECM which i understand is the electronics box on top of the air box, recitfy the comms issue? and is there a chance this could be related to the lack of throttle? Any help is massively appreciated!

Thanks!
Bon
Bonroo1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 17:10   #160
john493
Spannering since birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonroo1989 View Post
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and did some searching, finding this post about EGR issues! (forgive me if there's a newer post somewhere!) can anyone shed some light on the symptoms i'm getting? so - I've plugged the car in, and it gives me fault codes of -

1A62 - communication with engine controol module, signal misssing
E000 - Control module communication, faulty communication

4430 - EGR valve, faulty signal
4450 - EGR position sensor, faulty signal
1870 - swirl actuator control, faulty signal

The most blatent symptom is that 'engine service required' is on the dashboard, and I have SOME throttle. Anything past 20% doesn't seem to exist? so consequently, going up hills becomes a bit slow! The instant MPG also doesn't seem to register anything past 20% throttle either. The turbo still kicks in, and i can still get to redline... eventually, so this surely means i'm not in any kind of limp mode? regardless of any of that, would I be right in saying that a replacment EGR minus the cooler would sort this problem? My other qualm, as seen in the codes is this ECM issue? Again (call me niave) would replacing this ECM which i understand is the electronics box on top of the air box, recitfy the comms issue? and is there a chance this could be related to the lack of throttle? Any help is massively appreciated!

Thanks!
Bon
You need to state what engine and year please.
(GS Addict)