Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 rear wiper issues + solution

Views : 75757

Replies : 186

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2017, 05:49   #151
PaulV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post
This is great but are there not contacts on one side of the cog which are needed to auto-park the wiper blade?
I don't know about the contacts on the vog, I've not taken my motor off yet. Does anyone else know the answer?

Oh the simple things in life! Just when you feel you may have found the solution to a problem....!!!

I know the filament for the printer costs approx $70.00 and was already thinking whoever prints it is going to need orders for a few just to cover tjis cv ost!!
PaulV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 11:37   #152
ShadeTek
Premier Member

In the red ring you will see 3 contacts. These brush against a metal contact that is attached on the cog which make the wipers self park in the down position. I guess the contacts could be removed from the orignal cog and attached to the printed one. But the question is how will they be attached? There would have to be some spiggots sticking out of the new cog that will be melted down to hold the contacts in place. I don't know the how strong or even if printable material can be melted! May be a very small counter sunk self tapper would do. I have been waiting for a years for someone to come out with something like this and it is good of them to give the print file for free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20170124-WA0000-800x600.jpg (230.1 KB, 28 views)

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan

Last edited by ShadeTek; Jan 1st, 2018 at 12:01.
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 11:59   #153
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Just found this from 2014.
Also, on the question of is it strong enough?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg print.JPG (48.0 KB, 9 views)

/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan

Last edited by ShadeTek; Jan 1st, 2018 at 12:06.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 12:12   #154
ShadeTek
Premier Member

I have e-mailed the person who printed the cog to ask hom how he attached the auto park contacts onto the printed cog, if he attached them at all as in the video it only shows the motor turning the new cog successfully, but not parking!

Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 18:29   #155
PaulV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post
I have e-mailed the person who printed the cog to ask hom how he attached the auto park contacts onto the printed cog, if he attached them at all as in the video it only shows the motor turning the new cog successfully, but not parking!
Hi Shadetek, i am really interested in what he replies and are you going to ask if he would like to print a few cogs....assuming the contacts can be put in etc.
Waiting to hear. Thanks
PaulV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulV For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 18:43   #156
R-P
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfjonas View Post
Why isnt the pictures in the thread showing?
I used free hosting (imageshack iirc) and when they started charging for it, they promissed old pictures would stay linkable for free. But that only lasted a few weeks...

I should still have all pics, but they are probably on harddisks that I haven't used in years.

Once I track them down, and have the time, I will ask the moderators if they can give me "edit" access to the first post again. And I'll post them on imageshack and link them in the post. Until that starts charging money and I'll have to redo it again...

(Happened with another 'free' pic hosting site recently as well (photobucket?), to keep your pics up&running, you had to fork over 400$ a year... )

Last edited by R-P; Jan 25th, 2018 at 19:52.
R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 13:46   #157
V70SE

Default Replacement with compatible part

I have got to do this on my wiper motor, if successful that's great but I have seen that compatible assemblies are now available for under £40, has anyone tried fitting one of these.
V70SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 01:51   #158
br0dy

Hi all. Glad I wasn't the one to bump this old thread as this is my first post lol.

I've found a replacement cog on eBay, which has been 3D printed for about $40 CAD. Through some old (dead) links it appears there was previously a whole kit available on eBay which was done on a CNC machine for $75, however it was posted on the forums and had a full instruction guide so possibly was worth the extra coin. There isn't much of a description on this one.. but it does specifically state "ready to install". Worth it?

Am I allowed directly to link to the eBay post to get your opinion? I will upload image when I have a chance. It is difficult to tell what you guys are talking about in regards to the 3 points of contact as I haven't ripped mine apart yet and it appears all photos in this thread are dead links. Thanks

EDIT: ATTACHED IMAGES
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (52.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (342.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by br0dy; Apr 15th, 2018 at 01:59.
br0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 13:41   #159
R-P
Master Member

I am cleaning up old harddisks as I am building a server for homeuse and am going to back up everything I can find on old harddisks as well. But haven't come across the old pics from me disassembling the wiper.

There is a brass (?) semi-circle in the cog wheel. So when it turns, there are three contacs that stay in electrical contact with the cog when it rotates. Or not when a part of a certain radius is left out so the contact is not touching brass (= not connected to the other sliders and thus it 'knows' in what position the wiper is). You will have to transfer this semi-circle to the new cogwheel for it to function as I see no indication it is on the new one.

I have a theory that my restingposition is screwed up because this ring has slipped, but since my wiper functions, I do not want to take it off again, and it also wiping part of my rear door (because it goes down 3 inches before going up and wiping my window) is something I can live with.

Three sliders/contacts for the brass wheel (shamelessly stolen from our friends at swedespeed):

Last edited by R-P; Apr 15th, 2018 at 13:53.
R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 17:59   #160
br0dy

Is this what you're talking about?! If so, it looks like it can be transferred from the old gear onto the new one.
br0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to br0dy For This Useful Post: