Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 New Sensus software V3

Views : 44804

Replies : 216

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2012, 20:12   #181
christiaan

So I had the Sensus 3.0 update today.

When I dropped the car off for it this morning the service guy said that the dealership still haven't received anything official through from Volvo to say that this should be done, but were doing it based on my (and their) conversations with Vijay at Volvo UK customer services.

Vijay was very clear to me on the phone (a few weeks back now) that the Sensus upgrade was part of the Service promise, however it did take him a few days to find this out having asked the question at several levels of UK management.

All in all I'm a little disappointed with this "service experience".
Ok, I did get the upgrade FOC but with quite a lot of pressure and time from myself.
At no point did I get an apology from the dealership for the confusion or the extra day without my car (they even tried to charge me for the loan car for the second visit.... Not likely!).

It's difficult to say exactly where my disappointment is focused.
I think it is fair to say that the dealer is sticking to the line that they wouldn't ordinarily do the upgrade unless a fault was reported, but if Volvo UK are saying that the upgrade is part of the service promise then they really need to relay this information to their franchised dealerships.

If there continues to be a cost involved for the upgrade (as Clan keeps on saying) then I can see the dealerships not doing the upgrade automatically.
Remember that only a very tiny percentage of Volvo's customer base would ever visit a Volvo forum and therefore have no idea at all that there is an update available.

For all of those owners who got the upgrade Free of charge and without asking for it, consider yourself lucky that you have a good dealer looking after your car.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 21:40   #182
XCeed

I think we are letting Volvo off too lightly here.

This is the relevant extract from the official Volvo Service Promise circulated on their websites and promoted by dealerships:

A FREE UPDATE OF THE CAR’S SOFTWARE TO THE LATEST VERSION IS ALWAYS INCLUDED*

At Volvo, we’re constantly developing and improving the software for our cars. This means that your Volvo can get a little better at every servicing, since free software updates are always included. Examples of functions or systems that can be optimised include air conditioning, engine and driver information.

* Applies to all Volvo models from model year 1999 and onwards, except the Volvo C70 –05, S/V40 –03, XC/V70 –00.

Now when companies make grand promises such as this, they must stick to them or make clear that "terms and conditions apply" etc etc.

Exclusions are noted, but only referring to some models. It doesn't say: By the way, Sensus (the heart of the car's software) is not included!

I don't give a f** as to how they differentiate between different types of software, how long it takes to install, or what it costs them.

They made the promise referring specifically to "driver information" and Sensus is undisputably at the very heart of the "driver information" system used by Volvo.

It shouldn't be a matter of luck that some owners get the upgrade. It is a right, and since some dealers happily absorb the upgrade into their normal service then it is not even a matter of significant cost.
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 10:01   #183
jimbg
Master Member

jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbg For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 10:42   #184
XCeed

^ plus 1

what part of this is difficult to understand??
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 10:34   #185
mrlossyman

I had exactly the same problem. This is my email to the dealer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark,

Today my XC60 went in for its first year service at the HershXX branch. This is the first time I have dealt with Volvo as for the past fifteen years I have been an Audi customer. When I booked the service via the telephone I advised of several issues, Front mat, speaker rattles, wine on steering and software upgrade for Sensus (ipod issue). Up until the service itself I felt everything was dealt with in a professional and courteous manner. The problem is that when I had the car returned the Software upgrade was not done to the sensus system to make it V.3. When I called the service department I was advised that all upgrades had been done, however this has definitely not been done. I was also advised that upgrades to the entertainment system are not done automatically, however I was advised that ALL relevant software upgrades would be done. After a 10 minute call I was told that I did need the upgrade and the car will need to go back. As this is my first experience with Volvo I'm not really that happy, it's difficult to make time for a service and not have my car and as it was in the service centre for the whole of today it seems a waste that this wasn't carried out. Perhaps it should be made part of the process to do these upgrades at service or at least make it clear to the customer what upgrades will be done. To me if I'm told all upgrades to software will be done I can only assume that does mean all and not just the engine management system.

I look forward to your comments.

Regards,

Carl
mrlossyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 20:09   #186
844PHW
Master Member

As I have said before, the reason why the Sensus upgrade doesn't get done, is that apparently it takes a long time and they won't do it if they find it at all inconvenient.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 20:15   #187
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
As I have said before, the reason why the Sensus upgrade doesn't get done, is that apparently it takes a long time and they won't do it if they find it at all inconvenient.
Did you read post 183???
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 22:38   #188
sawyer

Hi All,

I recently dropped Volvo UK an enquiry re the Sensus upgrade in relation to my forthcoming service, in the hope I'd get some clarification on the matter from them. They passed it down the line to my local dealership to answer.
Below is the reply......

Dear Mr xxxxx

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Sensus on your Volvo XC60.

Volvo UK has requested that we respond on their behalf as your supplying dealer.

I have qualified your request with our workshop and advise that the Sensus system is not automatically updated as part the Volvo Service Promise.

Whilst servicing your car with your permission our technician will update any available CAN network software's offered by Volvo Car Corporation (VCC)
The Sensus system is not part of the CAN network although it does communicate with the ICM - The ICM (infotainment control module) integrates the Sensus system to your vehicle - Sensus includes RTI (Road Traffic Information), DAB/Radio, CD, I-pod, Auxiliary, USB & Bluetooth.

If you are experiencing a problem that relates to the Sensus system and an information update is available from Volvo this can be pursued under Warranty.
However if all is working ok and you choose to update the Sensus system this would incur a charge - although I would advise to leave the system alone unless you are experiencing a problem.

I am unable to advise on which CAN network software's will be updated until your Vehicle is connected to our Vida System (diagnosis tool) - at this time your vehicle information is cross referenced with Volvo's information and the software's available are identified and offered for installation.

Remember as with any software updates this can return any pre-programmed items back to the factory settings - a typical example is the power fold mirrors when locking your car will not fold in until this function in the Menu on your car has been reset. We will be able to assist with reprogramming these items at your request on collection of your vehicle on completion.
If your vehicle has had any modifications such as Engine Performance Enhancements (chipped) that are not recognised by Volvo then you should inform us on the day/every time you visit a Volvo dealer and decline any software updates as this could affect/undo such modification.

I hope this answers your enquiry to the full; we look forward to servicing your car on the 27th November.
sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 22:59   #189
jimbg
Master Member

Maybe report one of the known faults then?
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 11:15   #190
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer View Post
Hi All,

I recently dropped Volvo UK an enquiry re the Sensus upgrade in relation to my forthcoming service, in the hope I'd get some clarification on the matter from them. They passed it down the line to my local dealership to answer.
Below is the reply......

Dear Mr xxxxx

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Sensus on your Volvo XC60.

Volvo UK has requested that we respond on their behalf as your supplying dealer.

I have qualified your request with our workshop and advise that the Sensus system is not automatically updated as part the Volvo Service Promise.
When is a promise not a promise eh?

So the Volvo Service Promise that states ''we’ll ensure your Volvos software is upgraded'' actually means ''we will upgrade a bit of the software all though not all of it, and certainly not the main bit that most expect to be upgraded, unless there is a fault,''

Not very clear and not really fair. Some may suggest a bit misleading?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post: