Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

TCV boost pressure solenoid

Views : 7030

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2023, 22:27   #11
aquacultureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi
I have this diagram copied from the forum, if any help?
I had a feeling there are 2 down below the alternator, or in that area, it is a while since I was playing with these!!
Iain. Many thanks. Thats supurb info. Already replaced the top one and now swapping the bottom front one out now. Incidentally, I remember getting codes read some months ago for something else, and remember getting one code related to the the throttle body sensor - so perhaps one or other (or both!) of the TCVs connected to that (as per your diagram) need replacing.

Ill update this week.
aquacultureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 19:45   #12
IainG
Premier Member

Whilst you are delving down to the solenoids it is worth checking all the vacuum pipes and rubber elbows. I had an elbow that had split causing intermittant issues.

Vague memory. I priced up the solenoids and I believe they were about £60 each. I then was told a part number for a solenoid with all the vacuum pipework for £30
The same solenoid with all the pipes at half the price of just the solenoid!!
I will look out the numbers in case they are still cheaper.

Just found 30757740. It was £29 + VAT in 2013 !! (Solenoid and hoses)

Just re found this !!
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...errerid=116256

Last edited by IainG; Feb 28th, 2023 at 19:58.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 12:30   #13
aquacultureman

Quote:
Whilst you are delving down to the solenoids it is worth checking all the vacuum pipes and rubber elbows. I had an elbow that had split causing intermittant issues.

Vague memory. I priced up the solenoids and I believe they were about £60 each. I then was told a part number for a solenoid with all the vacuum pipework for £30
The same solenoid with all the pipes at half the price of just the solenoid!!
I will look out the numbers in case they are still cheaper.

Just found 30757740. It was £29 + VAT in 2013 !! (Solenoid and hoses)

Just re found this !!
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...errerid=116256
Thanks Iain.
So got the bottom solenoid changed, and it appears to have sorted the issue. On your advice Im going to check the elbows when I get a chance all the same.
Old Mar 9th, 2023, 20:19   #14
aquacultureman

Spoke too soon. I'm still getting loss of acceleration on the higher gears (5th and 6th) around 1600 rpm. Foot to the floor and nothing happens. Hopefully hooked up to Vida tomorrow although my mechanic is starting to lose the will with this. I'll update later.
Old Mar 10th, 2023, 08:59   #15
IainG
Premier Member

Hi aquacultureman

Quite often you won't get any fault codes when there is a vacuum problem. Have you tried a vacuum gauge as mentioned previously, T 'd in next to the vacuum pump? You can actually have it on a long tube so you can see whilst driving. Just to see if the system is actually maintaining a vacuum?
Old Mar 25th, 2023, 16:42   #16
aquacultureman

Quote:
Hi aquacultureman

Quite often you won't get any fault codes when there is a vacuum problem. Have you tried a vacuum gauge as mentioned previously, T 'd in next to the vacuum pump? You can actually have it on a long tube so you can see whilst driving. Just to see if the system is actually maintaining a vacuum?
Hi Iain. Yes, I got the tcvs and turbo vacuum tested. 2 tcvs were losing pressure, so had them replaced. However, I did a further smoke test after that, and there was also a slight leak at the base of the join between the throttle body and the intake manifold. The gasket was hard so ordered a new one from Volvo, fitted it today, and the car seems fine now. Hopefully! Multiple issues at once I guess. Will keep and eye on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aquacultureman For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 19:36   #17
aquacultureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquacultureman View Post
Hi Iain. Yes, I got the tcvs and turbo vacuum tested. 2 tcvs were losing pressure, so had them replaced. However, I did a further smoke test after that, and there was also a slight leak at the base of the join between the throttle body and the intake manifold. The gasket was hard so ordered a new one from Volvo, fitted it today, and the car seems fine now. Hopefully! Multiple issues at once I guess. Will keep and eye on it.

Update: I spoke to soon!!! This cars a nightmare. Now have the dreaded 'Engine system Service Required' light on and off, with temporary loss of acceleration. Running out of ideas with this. 2 x turbo control solenoids, 1 x MAP sensor, new throttle body gasket, turbo and throttle body boosters pressure tested - good pressure.
Does anybody have any ideas other that going to Volvo to get the codes properly read and diagnosed?
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 19:59   #18
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
I would be very tempted to run a vacuum gauge into the car so it can be watched whilst driving (Passenger watching). Only a piece of clear pvc screenwash tube needed, t piece and vacuum gauge. Just "T" in next to the vacuum pump
I just used a basic Gunsen vacuum gauge(or loads of others on ebay)or borrow one. Just to see if the vacuum is actually there all the time whilst driving. As far as I know the car can't monitor the vacuum. It can only bring up faults with other errors indirectly.. It would be a good starting point.
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 21:09   #19
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

a short drive with vida might help diagnose the problem. do you have acess to vida or other good diagnostic tool ? did you replace the sensors with genuine parts ie pierburg .when i had similar problems i bought a cheap sensor which made the car worse to drive. so i sent back the cheap ebay one and sourced a oem pierburg one which cured my problem

Last edited by Simmy; Mar 26th, 2023 at 21:15.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 17:03   #20
aquacultureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
a short drive with vida might help diagnose the problem. do you have acess to vida or other good diagnostic tool ? did you replace the sensors with genuine parts ie pierburg .when i had similar problems i bought a cheap sensor which made the car worse to drive. so i sent back the cheap ebay one and sourced a oem pierburg one which cured my problem
Unfortunately dont have Vida or any Volvo scan tool. The TCVs are Pierburg replacements at least. I going to give the local Volvo dealership in Belfast a call in the morning to get it diagnosed. £95/hour last time I heard here, but they diagnosed another issue correctly last time at least.