Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

this made me poo alittle urgent help needed

Views : 2196

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2009, 18:49   #11
marko_850_t5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
I may be way off track here, but bear with me

Whenever I buy a new car I give it a full workout to see how it behaves under duress - this includes hard acceleration, hard braking (full emergency stop from 50), chicane test, etc - all on deserted roads of course. My car came with 12m MoT - it was tested 5 days before I picked it up, and had no advisories. I checked it all out before doing the stress tests - no faults found. However, a few hundred miles after doing the stress test the brakes began to get spongy and I found a small weepage at the top of the brake pedal - the brake master cylinder is leaking slightly.

My theory is that normal use of the brakes only push the rod so far into the brake master cylinder. The remaining bore is not swept under normal use, and so can get corroded and maybe there is an accumilation of debris there. Doing the emergency stop pushed the rod further than normal, so the seals are dragged over this part of the bore, damaging the seals and thus causing the leak.

I'm wondering whether your emergency stop has done the same thing?

FYI a new master cylinder is around £150 from Rufe (if you have ABS and TRACS). This includes a £20 returnable exchange deposit. You may as well change the brake fluid as well - ATE Super Racing Blue (DoT4+) is about £14/litre from GSF and 1L should be enough.

i was thinking along the lines of master or slave clynder myself its booked in garage tomorrow morning see what they can make of it

the brake pedal instantly felt wrong wasnt like it braked then stopped braking half way down the travel wasnt braking from the out set

Boost oh the smiles and the look of shock
marko_850_t5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 18:51   #12
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default brakes

hi guys,
sounds to me like you have air in your breaking system, as each time you press the pedal, it will firm up. This is usually when there is air in your braking system. I would try and bleed the brakes first before you do anything else.
regards
stuart

Volvo V70 T5 Estate - Strut Brace, Pollen Filter, Polly Mounts, Tinted Windows, Upgraded Discs, 17in Wheels, Stainless exhaust, Overhaulled turbo & wast gate, ecu remap, k&n filter, white injectors = 380+ bhp.
stuartvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 18:59   #13
marko_850_t5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartvolvo View Post
hi guys,
sounds to me like you have air in your breaking system, as each time you press the pedal, it will firm up. This is usually when there is air in your braking system. I would try and bleed the brakes first before you do anything else.
regards
stuart
where would you think the air came from is there a prone to weaping/leak point on the stopping system ?

Old Oct 28th, 2009, 19:02   #14
alv70d1999
I've Been Banned

is the reservoir topped up or leaking??
alv70d1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 19:08   #15
marko_850_t5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alv70d1999 View Post
is the reservoir topped up or leaking??
will go out and check

Old Oct 28th, 2009, 19:57   #16
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I think you have two or maybe three problems:

If the master cylinder is leaking then this is clearly faulty and need replacing.

There is air in the system, possibly as a result of the leaking master cylinder.

The ABS lights being on, even if intermittently, will result in the electronic brake distribution (EBD) function (part of the ABS) being inoperative, there is no pressure reduction valve for the rear brakes it's electronic, this is why the rear brakes locked up.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 19:59   #17
st5ve
S60 R

I was going to suggest bleeding all the brake fluid to rule out any debris or water in the system. I drained mine not that long ago, I was shocked at the amount of crud that was in the system.

Do you have stainless steel flexi brake hoses or standard? If standard check they are not perished or have bulged.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 20:19   #18
marko_850_t5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
I think you have two or maybe three problems:

If the master cylinder is leaking then this is clearly faulty and need replacing.

There is air in the system, possibly as a result of the leaking master cylinder.

The ABS lights being on, even if intermittently, will result in the electronic brake distribution (EBD) function (part of the ABS) being inoperative, there is no pressure reduction valve for the rear brakes it's electronic, this is why the rear brakes locked up.
i have just been and checked full of fluid on the max line no leaks visable any where in the bay havent checked around the wheel arches though to see if i could see anything there

Old Oct 31st, 2009, 17:12   #19
marko_850_t5

right picked the car up yesterday have 7 faults on the abs system pass wheel sensor rear drivers sensor one on the black circle part of the master cylnder a module in the abs cant remember the others

also system was full of air on pass front and drivers rear

blead the system now have proberbly the best brakes i have had on this car

have got it booked in at pheonix motors in haverfordwest on the 6th for a diagnosis session

so will know more then

:P

Old Oct 31st, 2009, 18:50   #20
pigpott

i have one in the workshop at the moment with same problem we have done
servo, 1st
master, 2nd
front hoses,3rd
so all wot is left is abs pump so we bypassed it and brakes were ok
still waiting for owner to get new pump