Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Dilemma Part 2 - is it a no brainer??

Views : 3683

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2010, 16:18   #11
XCF
Master Member

The circa £10k discounts were not just on pre -registered cars - they were definitely available with dealers or via brokers on new cars registered in your name. The Brokers got their commision by way of a finders fee from the dealer. Brokers working in this way were Drive the deal and dealdrivers - though possibly others do the same.

R Design was available 12 months ago for around £26k new. There are quite a few people on this forum who bough Active models for less than £21K new. And these prices were without trade in / scrappage and there was also £300 / 3 year servicing offer.

Comparing those prices to the discounts now only goes to show how keen Volvo were to shift cars. It's worked and possibly kick started the interest in the model so maybe it was a short term promotion which may explain why the prices are rising fast now as Volvo cash in on the new found demand.
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 23:01   #12
wickywoo

Thanks for all your thoughts and apologies Judgeman for the maths - never my strong point....!

I do always like to work out running costs, particularly depreciation. The guy who I bought my current car from took a real hit - its a 2005 V70 2.4 petrol auto (well out of favour now) which he paid £27k for and I got for £11k when three years old.

Even with my dodgy maths and less discounts now, buying an XC90 new still seems to offer tremendous value.

The quote I have is for a Euro 5 (200 bhp) SE model with the following extras:

Metallic paint
Geartronic
Family Pack
Winter Pack I
Sunroof

Cost wil be £30,900 and think I'm gonna sign up tomorrow !!!
wickywoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 09:10   #13
JimBob

Impressive amount of science being applied to your decision! Personally I make my decisions on less hard facts but recognise the fact that we are all limited by our finances!

Personally, I have bought new for a long time now. Its a luxury - I think many people (most?) people who buy new know its not the cheapest ownership option and are probably doing for the following reasons :

- more peace of mind, manufacturers warranty etc
- getting exactly the car that you want
- not inheriting other peoples issues, poor ownership / treatment
- Avoiding the second hand market / the cowboys / stress

I look back on the many years I bought and owned second hand cars and do not miss them at all. So to my mind if you can find a way in which it makes financial sense as well then whats stopping you!

Have you analysed the leasing options?

http://www.lingscars.com/Volvo/XC90-...ract-hire.html

Good luck!

JimBob
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 10:51   #14
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Can I just add to that the smell of a new car, the feeling it gives you when the car reaches the first 10, 100, 1000 miles
The first scratch

I know it doesn't make financial sense, but for me personally a car you buy mainly with your heart, not your head and for me nothing beats owning a car from brand new...
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 15:34   #15
Rentagas
Swedish Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickywoo View Post

The quote I have is for a Euro 5 (200 bhp) SE model with the following extras:

Metallic paint
Geartronic
Family Pack
Winter Pack I
Sunroof

Cost wil be £30,900 and think I'm gonna sign up tomorrow !!!
That is a fantastic price - the drive the deal price for this with the old engine is £31376 already a £9600 discount- so yes I would bite their hand off!
Rentagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 21:44   #16
alpinac227

(only a newbie here) - but just like to say I've been trying to carry out exactly this analysis
- New vs Used 3/4 yr old with 40-60k around £15k private (no warranty) I need to do about 7000miles/pa. Key thing for me is that seeing the number of posts with potentially expensive issues gearbox etc So I look to a warranty pref Volvo dealer - meaning used prices around £19-20k for about a 3+yr old car.

But then see that a new D5 Active(?) Manual is available at about £26,600 Brand New Taxed with Met paint on road complete with Zero miles and a 3 year warranty. Granted no leather but the trade off for a Brand new car with zero wear and 3yr peace of mind seems attractive. So if from 20k adding 6.6k for a new one 'rewinds' a vehicles age and mileage to zero - this suggests a law of 'increasing' returns :-).

I'm looking at a spreadsheet - analysing overall cost of ownership over say 3-5 years including maintenance and varying levels of economy and Road Tax according to variant and year and resale at end. plus of course other factors peace of mind, reduced maintenance - newer efficient engine.

It does indeed seem a close call between used and new and I'd prefer new albeit with lower spec. I'm all for analysis - my heart says many things but pocket shouts 'analysis' louder ! Thank you - fascinating analysis - look forward to reading others' experience of deals.
alpinac227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 21:53   #17
mr..bean

Again, very much horses for courses. I bought new for 15 years but then realised I could do much better letting someone else pay the depreciation for me.

I bought a 6 year old D5 Geartronic with 82000 miles, Winter Pack, Comms Pack, 2 dvd screens with remote and factory Sat Nav with remote, full Volvo history, 2 new tyres, one month after service and MOT for £9500. The only expense I have had in 12 months was to fix the broken rear wiper and 2 more tyres (£400 total) and it's about to have it's next service where the timing belt will have to be changed. I reckon I probably might get £9000 for it now.

This is all about sourcing quality used stock, the best think about Volvo is that people who buy new Volvo's tend to look after them.

If you are not adding options and happy to pay c£400 per month depreciation for the next 3 years then go new, you will be able to choose colour and spec.

If you want massive spec then go second hand. You never get your money back on these options (my car had c£5k of options added at new), a real bargain for the second, third or fourth owner.
mr..bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 21:53   #18
wickywoo

Well, I've got my order this morning, lets go!!!

Yes, was really getting hung up on the figures there but also love the satisfaction of doing a good deal and can feel I've got one here... I have always bought at about 3 years old and kept for 18 mths / 2 yrs and always thought this was the way to go. Am sure running the new car will be no more expensive than a 3 yr old one. Will report back in 2013 !!

Have a feeling once you've bought new you never go back...

Nearly got carried away this morning thinking about the value of the Exec model plus my options... May be when the new one comes out in a couple of years time!!

Have got 10 days to confirm the colour...hmm

Thanks for helping
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 22:07   #19
wickywoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinac227 View Post
(only a newbie here) - but just like to say I've been trying to carry out exactly this analysis
- New vs Used 3/4 yr old with 40-60k around £15k private (no warranty) I need to do about 7000miles/pa. Key thing for me is that seeing the number of posts with potentially expensive issues gearbox etc So I look to a warranty pref Volvo dealer - meaning used prices around £19-20k for about a 3+yr old car.

But then see that a new D5 Active(?) Manual is available at about £26,600 Brand New Taxed with Met paint on road complete with Zero miles and a 3 year warranty. Granted no leather but the trade off for a Brand new car with zero wear and 3yr peace of mind seems attractive. So if from 20k adding 6.6k for a new one 'rewinds' a vehicles age and mileage to zero - this suggests a law of 'increasing' returns :-).

I'm looking at a spreadsheet - analysing overall cost of ownership over say 3-5 years including maintenance and varying levels of economy and Road Tax according to variant and year and resale at end. plus of course other factors peace of mind, reduced maintenance - newer efficient engine.

It does indeed seem a close call between used and new and I'd prefer new albeit with lower spec. I'm all for analysis - my heart says many things but pocket shouts 'analysis' louder ! Thank you - fascinating analysis - look forward to reading others' experience of deals.
Hi

I could not believe how close a call it was when I worked it out. Many seem unaware - my local dealer has 12 month old models up for the same price as new!!

Speak to Richard at Harratts in Sheffield. They are doing white, manual Actives for £25k (with old Euro 4 engine)...
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 23:05   #20
XCF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickywoo View Post
Hi

I could not believe how close a call it was when I worked it out. Many seem unaware - my local dealer has 12 month old models up for the same price as new!!

Speak to Richard at Harratts in Sheffield. They are doing white, manual Actives for £25k (with old Euro 4 engine)...
Think how easy it was to do the same analysis and decide to buy new less than 12 months ago ...new white manual actives were just £20,886 inc VAT.
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote