Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SE Lux VS RDesign Lux

Views : 11760

Replies : 76

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2016, 19:34   #11
mike95

Quote:
Originally Posted by St James View Post
I would also stick with 18's and agree about the seats - albeit the SE seats I sat in were adequate, I think it really depends on your build.

I would spend the alloy wheel upgrade on Winter Pack, HK sound (I'd add the sub as well for the minimal cost at factory fit stage - I don't have it, and want it), and the Driver Support Pack. I know the DSP is expensive, but I probably wouldn't have a car now without the Emergency Braking system and Adaptive CC, the latter in particular is absolutely awesome.

J
Another vote for the Driver Support Pack here. Wouldn't be without it and would sacrifice all my other toys for it if I had to.

Good luck.

Mike
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 19:50   #12
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomisEgnar View Post
This is my first post so be kind please I am sure this has been asked or discussed before but I can't find much on the forum or web. I am due a new Company car soon and the XC60 is the front runner currently (If I am honest I think it will be one) I drive about 30K PA all over the UK and Northern Europe mix of motorway and A roads.

The following is the spec I am looking at

Both to be D4 Auto (mid 2016) FWD (I don't want to give the government anymore money than I really need to)

SE Lux
20" inscription avior wheels
Tinted Windows
Gear shift Paddles (I found these good on other autos for engine breaking and also A roads)
Met Paint (Bring the lease cost down)
Personal Car Communicator
Power Child locks
Rear Parking Camera
Styling pack
Winter Pack

R Design Lux

20" Ixion Wheels (prefer the above but this is the only factory option)
Tinted windows
Gearshift Paddles
Met Paint
Personal Car Communicator
Power door lock
Rear parking camera
Winter Pack

The two are almost identical, I would not have the SE lux without the styling pack as I just think its looks so much better with it (unless I can be convinced otherwise?)

(Other option I have considered and would appricate peoples opinions on are Heated Steering wheel, Adaptive Suspension, Polestar but don't think you can get this with FWD, Sensus with HK)

Have I missed anything that s a must and which option would people go for? I like the SE Lux as you can get greater choice of colour and I much prefer the wheels (optional ones)

Thanks for any comments in advance.
4C suspension is £1,000 Polestar is listed on the Polestar web site for £830. Both are very nice to have.
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 19:59   #13
bobby2000
VOC Member

I have to agree with above by far the best option, absolutely brilliant on the motorway.
Old Feb 13th, 2016, 13:41   #14
Warkman

I looked at both of these cars and went for the R-Design D4 AWD.

I didn't find the ride harsh at all and even with my large girth the R-Design sports seats were more comfortable than the SE lux.

I tried the FWD but found it skittish in wet weather, something the AWD doesn't feel

Finally, the R-Design in my mind looks a better car than the SE

Loving mine
Warkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2016, 14:22   #15
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Massive plus for the DSP, especially given the miles you plan to drive: adaptive cruise is fabulous for motorways and road works, and the magic DSP headlights are a treat (in Europe as well)
I got the flappy paddles, and unless you are a REALLY enthusiastic driver, I wouldn't bother.....the heated steering wheel, on the other hand, is regularly used!
Enjoy picking....we like the SE Lux Nav we chose, but I'm sure you will pick the best for you!
& welcome to the gang
Old Feb 13th, 2016, 20:23   #16
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomisEgnar View Post
Is the Sensus much better than the standard nav and audio system?
There is no standard nav if you don't opt for the 'SE Lux Nav' or 'Rdesign Lux Nav' options, which include Sensus Connect.

The non-nav models have the older 'Sensus' system (similar name, but entirely different technology) without navigation and with only a 5" screen. The Nav option replaces Sensus with Sensus Connect, adds navigation and other bits and pieces, and gives the larger 7" screen.

A Nav model would be a must in my opinion.

With either SE Lux or Rdesign Lux, I think you've ticked most of the options As others have said, big difference in ride and seats - so definitely try both before you order.
Old Feb 13th, 2016, 20:43   #17
NomisEgnar

I have spoken to Volvo UK and they are going to lend me both to try I think I am going in the direction of the Rdesign. I really appreciate all the help and info. I will keep you posted.
NomisEgnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 09:28   #18
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickedon View Post
A Nav model would be a must in my opinion.
^this!

Built-in sat-nags are invariably faster to lock on to signals IMHO, and I'd say the Volvo one is excellent! Again, across Europe, with traffic info built in. The choice of routes works well....& you have less clutter around the dash with things clipped on.....
Enjoy the test drives!
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 10:08   #19
Robbiefen100

I agree with much of the above wisdom!

I chose steering wheel paddles as I had become used to them with previous car. They are used when I want to quickly knock down a couple of gears in sport mode or generally to engage more with the car when in the mood. NOTE: the D4 engine gives hardly all any appreciable engine braking!

20 inch rims style and marketing over function, 18 suit car better and give ride advantages.

I am VERY pleased I chose 4c adaptive suspension, as it works all the time to settle the cars composure so even on comfort setting there is greatly reduced dive and roll, very clever system but only available on SE, so if you have got to have redesign seats?

Speed sensitive steering combined with the 4c works a charm. We have the steering on the lightest setting so at lower speeds it's really effortless to turn, yet seems to speed up responsiveness and I find my car set-up to be more pointy and eager to change direction than a car of its size should!

If I hadn't had missed my deadline for factory amendments the heated steering wheel would have been added as compliments the essential winter pack for small outlay

Moreover if I had the budget I would have loved to have adaptive cruise control, my daily commute doesn't call for it but with your mileage it could
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 10:28   #20
Robbiefen100

Oh and polestar on D4 is now available which I couldn't factor in when ordered mine. The car isn't exactly slow so is this worth it? Enhanced torque profile would always be nice to have.

I'm thinking of having it as a treat in a few months maybe, or at first service... once someone on here can give it a review!