Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

should I renew the warranty

Views : 2698

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2011, 12:46   #11
cejsmith
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obbard View Post
just a quick thing

Check re mileages some warrantees stop paying out for some items at certain mileages and all together at some point also, many stop at 100K or thereabouts worth checking the small print on this before paying up!
It will cover the car up to 12 years or 120K mileage
Skoda Superb 272 L&K estate sold
V90 CC B6
cejsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 13:04   #12
azibux1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cejsmith View Post
It will cover the car up to 12 years or 120K mileage
So your only 13K Miles away, is it worth it?

It is up to you but I would not go for it.

How many problems have you ever had with it?
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 13:34   #13
cejsmith
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azibux1 View Post

It's about a years worth of driving for me, i'm just a bit paranoid that the turbo is going to blow up and the gearbox will self distruct!!!!

I've had about £220 out of them this year , so in effect it's cost me about £180
V90 CC B6
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 15:36   #14
princepugh

Quote:
It's about a years worth of driving for me, i'm just a bit paranoid that the turbo is going to blow up and the gearbox will self distruct!!!!

I've had about £220 out of them this year , so in effect it's cost me about £180
I don't rate the turbo as a big risk on these cars at your mileage - gearbox is something to think about but preventive maintenance might be a better mitigation.
princepugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 21:21   #15
S60nick

Default Warranty Direct - very bad news!

Hi, my advice is to save up the money! Warranty Direct have a seriously poor reputation for paying out. They will try very hard, usually succeeding, to invalidate your claim and not pay out. Unfortunately speaking from experience.

S60nick
S60nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 21:33   #16
Ross 63
Breaks things

Put the money you would have spent on a warranty into a savings account used only for any problems with your car. Your savings account will definitely pay out in the event of a problem and if you don't have any problems, the money is still yours. I wouldn't envisage any serious problems if the car is properly maintained.

Warranty Direct are a bunch of crooks dressed up to look like they're doing you a favour.
Ross 63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 09:58   #17
cejsmith
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 63 View Post
Put the money you would have spent on a warranty into a savings account used only for any problems with your car. Your savings account will definitely pay out in the event of a problem and if you don't have any problems, the money is still yours. I wouldn't envisage any serious problems if the car is properly maintained.

Warranty Direct are a bunch of crooks dressed up to look like they're doing you a favour.
I thinkl that's a tad harsh, they paid out fine on my claim, what did they do to you????
V90 CC B6
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 15:44   #18
Ross 63
Breaks things

Quote:
I thinkl that's a tad harsh, they paid out fine on my claim, what did they do to you????
They didn't do anything to me. A few years back when I was in the market for a warranty, I compared them with Warranty Works and went through the small print of both waranties. Warranty Direct covered very little, Warranty works covered items that other's would regard as wear and tear, even down to the clutch friction plate. Warranty Direct have dropped even lower in the last couple of years with a "percentage of parts" policy and capped labour rates, they are quite frankly, a joke.

I think people need to be absolutely clear that all aftermarket warranty companies exist for one reason and one reason alone, to make money. Their premiums are set with this in mind. Their average customer will buy a second hand car and keep it for 3 years. Their premium is calculated so that they have a greater than 90% chance of being in profit from each policy if it is retained for 1 year or more. This can mean only one thing, you have a greater than 90% chance of paying substantially more in premiums than any repair work would have cost during the same timeframe. Further to this, you have to have the car serviced by a VAT registered garage which is more money wasted. I service mine to a higher standard for a third of the cost.

On a reliable car like a petrol engined Volvo or a D5 at less than 150k miles and with a manual gearbox, I wouldn't even consider an aftermarket warranty. They only cover the main engine and gearbox internals and you would be extremely unlucky, almost to the point of it being unheard of, for anything to go wrong here.
Ross 63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 16:29   #19
grass hopper
Premier Member

Wink

warranty direct don't look to bad paying out some large bills,one chap with a transmission failure on his xc90 was happy on the second page.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/warran...324754/Start/0
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 17:41   #20
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azibux1 View Post

Thats how i see it as well.

Darryl
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote