Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front Pads & Discs fitting cost

Views : 3552

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 19:04   #11
v50inred

No point going for a Pagid pad in a Volvo box when you can buy German made Pagid pads and discs for £95 all in.

Brand loyalty is fine and dandy but I would have paid a lot more for my fuel filter container at Volvo, so I bought the exact same one in a Ford box.

Volvo don't make brake pads or discs.

Anybody that thinks there is any difference between a part supplied in a Volvo box is any different to the same part supplied in the OEM's box for less is delusional.

They are the same part.

I take it I should remove my German made Hengst oil filter and spend maybe twice the money on what is in all probability a Hengst manufactured filter in a Volvo box?

I am not going to suggest that the cheap Indian made (Eicher) brake parts sold at Euro are as good as Pagid or even Jurid.

But I see no compelling reason in spending 40% extra for the same part made by the same company but in a different box.
v50inred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 19:08   #12
v50inred

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
yup, I have considered various parts and the difference between genuine Volvo and 3rd party parts was rather small. In fact, the difference between Pagid and Volvo is less than 30£. So why use 3rd party parts if I can get genuine OEM parts for 20£ extra?
Anyway, yes Halfords and KwikFit are out of scope in this research. The ones close to me have so many negative reviews that I am surprised to see that they are still in business..
Who makes Volvo brake parts?

Not Volvo.
v50inred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 19:51   #13
griston64
Premier Member

Someone told me they are made by ATE. Check out Mill Volvo Northeast they had some good deals on discs and pads.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 20:48   #14
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by v50inred View Post

Not Volvo.
The entire brake system is from ATE - incl. calipers, pads, discs and brackets.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 21:13   #15
ian7675

When I had a BMW i replaced the brakes for about £140 from ECP. They were Pagid ones which the dealers also used but wanted circa £500 for replacement. I know BMW use both ATE and Pagid brakes on their cars so I didn't see any reason to fund that lovely showroom any further...
ian7675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 21:18   #16
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:

Not Volvo.
NO - But! They are made to Volvo specifications.

You get a standard 3rd party set and a Volvo boxed set and have a look at the balancing nodules on the Volvo boxed product. If you conducted tests on the pads too I'm sure you'll find the lining is not exactly the same either.

SO on the face of things even though Volvo do not make their own pads physically they are 'Made for Volvo' and are of different spec to the makers own standard pads.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 21:28   #17
janusz

Quote:

Not Volvo.
absolutely. if the price difference was greater then obviously I would pick Pagid as suggested.

Maybe I was lucky - I found a dealer who is willing to sell parts for a sensible price 139£ delivered for the whole set is not bad I think (with Volvo receipt).

On related note, I have called a bunch of garages today and they all quoted circa 2hrs of work and 100£. One of them in fact was more expensive than Volvo dealer (dealer quoted 110£ incl VAT). I would expect local garages to be cheaper than dealer...
Well, London is definitely a strange place when it comes to garages...
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 21:55   #18
SonyVaio
VOC Member

£110 +VAT - That will be 1hr labour charge from Volvo Dealer.

All them other garages are taking the P!ss.

They should all be running by the Manufacturers Service Handbook for a guide on how long the job should take. If Volvo are only charging 1hr then the other garages should only be charging 1hr too.

Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 22:18   #19
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
£110 +VAT - That will be 1hr labour charge from Volvo Dealer.

All them other garages are taking the P!ss.

They should all be running by the Manufacturers Service Handbook for a guide on how long the job should take. If Volvo are only charging 1hr then the other garages should only be charging 1hr too.

Volvo give very tight times for replacing and repairing.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 22:41   #20
SonyVaio
VOC Member

I agree but if a home user with all manual tools can do it the same time frame as Volvo allow themself then you would expect ANY garage to be able to do the job far far quicker?

A garage with all their fancy tools (hydralics and Air Guns etc...) can easily speed the job up? Not to mention these guys will be changing pads and discs on a very regular basis so will be well skilled at changing these parts? A home user may do it every 2 or 3 years?

I think 1hr is far more than ample time to do front discs and pads, time for a good tea brake in there as well.

Tags
vaiotag