Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Using a bike rack with a powered tailgate?

Views : 5224

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2014, 15:48   #11
andymcp
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangey View Post
Assuming you are generally in a place where there are bikes to hire, the £1K being talked about on the thread for the towbar option would hire a hell of a lot of bikes.
Yup, although that wouldn't have worked for me. I hired bikes for a bit but was then limited to always having to cycle to/from wherever we were staying on holiday. Bit frustrating and limiting - far better to have them on the back of the car and complete freedom of movement.

I know it's a load of cash, but that £1k for towbar and bike rack was some of the best money I've spent on the car (well, technically I spent the rack money on the previous car but you know what I mean...).

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 16:47   #12
GS79

Having used a rear mounted bike carrier before, this is the option I'd suggest for your dilemma. Just don't open the boot with them on!
GS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GS79 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 18:57   #13
Waggatron

I currently use Thule roof bars and four cycle carriers on my XC60. I put the two kids bikes on the inside and two adults on the outside. I'm 6'4" but need a foldable step to help. None of the bikes are greater than 14kg so it's not too difficult to lift on and off. The whole set up cost me around £500 sourcing everything through the internet. I bet you could pick up cheaper than that second hand through eBay.

That being said my new XC60 is being specced with a detachable tow bar. The roof option is fine but it kills mpg and whistles like a church organ at speed. I've also ripped a mountain bike off the roof on a height restriction beam I failed to spot at a local carpark!
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waggatron For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 21:16   #14
harvey07
Master Member

Thanks all...lots of food for thought...

To make matters worse, as I investigated whether using my wife's car for any local stuff with bikes...I find it is very restrictive also as it has a composite type tailgate! And it is a Mazda 5, so roof option is tricky with it too.

Oh well...
harvey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 16:23   #15
volvorocks
Rodney

@harvey07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
Getting them up on the roof of a XC60 will be a good workout twice before you go for a ride and twice when you have finished. I am over 6 foot and would not dream of attempting it. I have read in other threads about using step ladders IMHO this will make the loading even more risky and you will have to take them with you of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inego View Post
... roof mounted (which is also great, but you need to carry a small stepladder to reach the XC60 roof)
I have posted this loads of times before. Answers the problem of roof access.

Regards
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 10:39   #16
Shlloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey07 View Post
Hadn't really thought about this potential issue until today. But as the kids are now able to ride their bikes without any assistance, we would like to start getting back on ours to get out as a family...so hence the dilemma.

We would need the ability to carry 2 x adult & 2 x kids bikes. Even if we get the two kids ones into the boot, I'd still need the ability to carry two adult ones outside.

I've not got a towbar on my XC60 & don't fancy carrying them on the roof, so hence the question re the (powered) tailgate options).

We are not big cyclists & it would be a fairly infrequent requirement (just when we get bored of our immediately local area!) So I don't really want to incur any great expense (I.e won't be fitting a towbar).

Opinions & options appreciated.
Hi wondered if you have an answer yet ?
I believe the issue is hoe to attach a rear mounted rack with an electric tail gate not will it left when in place ?
I borrowed a Saris Bones 3 to try and it was a case or removing the tailgate fuse but the rack was not a good fit and the top support legs would pull away from the rear screen not tighten up against it !!
So if you have found a rack that works please let me know as I have all the same issues i.e. don't really want to spend 1k on works car for towbar etc.

thanks and look forward to hearing back.
Or does anybody have any roof bars and racks they want to sell ?
Shlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 18:31   #17
Gilesme

I went for the Thule tow bar carrier over 10 years ago - still going strong. (replaced 2 x roof carriers on old vehicle).

Yes, you need to spec a towbar each time, but the sheer convenience is worth it. From memory in France this year a days hire for the 4 of use would have been 80 Euros - so soon pays for itself as we used ours every day for 2 weeks ! (and you're on your own bike, fits you etc etc).

I think the tailgate is disabled when a lighting plug is inserted (towing caravan / bike rack etc) though i've not tried this ! Some cars also set off the alarm if the lighting plus is removed whilst locked - again, not tried this !

Last edited by Gilesme; Oct 6th, 2015 at 18:33. Reason: Extra
Gilesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 19:30   #18
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I have a Thule tow bar mounted one like others here.

I can tilt the bike mounting frame so that the top of the bikes moves away from the car and with 2 bikes on, rear and middle, I can open the boot. I could possibly open the boot with 3 bikes mounted (it is 3 bike mount) but I think it would be too tight.
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 21:59   #19
inego

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I have a Thule tow bar mounted one like others here.

I can tilt the bike mounting frame so that the top of the bikes moves away from the car and with 2 bikes on, rear and middle, I can open the boot. I could possibly open the boot with 3 bikes mounted (it is 3 bike mount) but I think it would be too tight.
With 4 bikes on the Thule G6 I can still tilt away from the tailgate. It's great!
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 11:23   #20
davidjpowell

You don't need to spend a £1,000+

Towbar with single socket electrics (I've been extravegent and gone detachable) http://www.pfjones.co.uk/xc60-2008-d...towbar-en.html £302.40 - say £80 for fitting....£380

Bike rack - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Automaxi-All...wbar+bike+rack £190 delivered.

I'll grant you not a cheap option, but way more affordable than £1k+
davidjpowell is offline   Reply With Quote