Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ravenscroft Volvo Buyers Beware

Views : 4377

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2013, 23:23   #11
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynef View Post
What would you do...sensible answers please.
I agree with nomorework in so far as you would have been best not to accept the car and pay. However you have done, so where do you go from here?

Have you any written evidence of what was promised? Otherwise its their word against yours.

Whenever I buy anything, I ensure the absolute slightest detail is in writing, as people tend to renege, at a later date.This applies to buying a £5 toaster or a £50k car!!!! People may think I am OTT, although I tend to not have that many problems, and any issues that do arise are generally resolved very quickly indeed once I set out my position. I do however remain calm and composed at all times, and never let the annoyance of anything get to me (thats what this forum is good for - ranting......!!)

I would speak to them, write to them, then issue proceedings.People generally cough off when proceedings are issued. However, having said this, your chance of success may not be too good as it may be difficult for you to prove.

Perhaps put it down to experience, annoying though that it is?

All the best with whatever you decide

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 23:56   #12
LJD
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
Where is the miss use you talk about?
have a look !
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:25   #13
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Sorry nothing to add for the o/p but thought that I would mention that that company is not in any way related to 'Ravenscroft Motor Company' who are a Hants based Vehicle recovery and car service centre with branches in Hampshire and Dorset.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 07:42   #14
tj101c70

Just to add

Volvo UK are currently looking at various company's and websites/domain names that contain their "trade" name
98 Defender 50th V8
87 240 GLT Est (Red Man)
tj101c70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 10:59   #15
akita
I've Been Banned

I would start here and see how you get on

VCUK Customer Relations
Scandinavia House
Norreys Drive
Maidenhead
Berkshire
SL6 4FJ

Switchboard phone: 01628 422200
Customer relations phone: 01628 422522
akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 12:41   #16
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Just a Thought

1) How did you pay for the car ? If on Credit Card they may be able to help
2) How old is the car ? Would be faults be covered under the original manufacturers warranty

3) Sale of Goods Act - With the Airbag light on the car would fail its MOT - Therefore not fit for its intended purpose so you may have a case there.
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 12:59   #17
Darth Vol
Exploring Europe

I doubt you'll see much out of this.

Had a similar issue when i bought my GTi Golf in Dublin at a subaru dealership in glenageary back in 2004.. Like yourself, i bought the car there and then (impulse) despite there being a myriad of issues (i was rather green in terms of what to look out for in cars around 10yrs ago - far from where i am today).

naturally i asked for a replacement TB (timing belt) before i collected it (strangely also bought on a wednesday and collected on a friday) and a full service and sorting out of a few small items i had noticed during the test drive (removal of tinted windows etc).

However, within 2 days of having collected the car, numerous issues started up and brought it back for fixing (had a so called 6 months warranty more akin to toilet paper at the end of the day) and had brought it to a VW dealership to confirm that all was done as had been requested.

Turns out the Timing belt wasn't replaced at all and that depite the term "TB replaced" on the paperwork they stated that all i wanted done was the "toothed belt aka the fan belt". Plus errors in MAF, Brakes, suspension etc meant that all the work i had requested was not done.

I was furious and when i went back to request that the work done, i was told that it was never asked (despite the same sales person having made the confirmation that the work had been done). I fought them for 6 months to get the work done (even had confirmation from VW that issues were clearly evident which they denied and refused to fix. At the time i had spent €18,500 on that car as it was 3 yrs old (retailed €33.500 from vw at the time as went to the original vw garage in donegal town to confirm things) and it turned out to be a right dog of car.

(until now of course lol!)

first year i spent €2394 in repairs with VW including getting them to fit a Timing belt, water pump etc and as time went on the bills mounted and mounted..

As i've replaced everything in the car, except roof liner, carpet, doors and bonnet since then, the car is perfect. But i'd not advise that route if you want a healthy bank balance.... i've spent literally thousands of euros (as in tens' of....) to get the car to where it is today and will never trust a dealer again.

I do my own work and have assistance from a trustworthy mechanic (vw) who helps out when it's internal engine work needing sorted as i don't like that brain surgery stuff.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 18:48   #18
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
Just a Thought

1) How did you pay for the car ? If on Credit Card they may be able to help
2) How old is the car ? Would be faults be covered under the original manufacturers warranty

3) Sale of Goods Act - With the Airbag light on the car would fail its MOT - Therefore not fit for its intended purpose so you may have a case there.
Airbag light would not have been a fail.
Sale of goods act would not apply if you buy a car knowing it has a fault and you can't say it is not fit for purpose after having driven it for 7 months.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 22:25   #19
waynef

You say i can't say its not fit for purpose as i've driven it for seven months, i took the car back and complained within three days of purchase as asked to do so, the only reason it is 7 months is due to them keep stringing me along.

I have written proof they were going to replace the headlights which I am putting forward in evidence to the small claims court.

I have just issued a 'Letter of Intent' and have been advised by my solicitor not to divulge the written confirmation I have to them, but to put to them unless they fix the issue which they know about then and only then to take it to court and present my evidence. This way they have no defence...

I'll keep you all posted as no more being nice...
waynef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 22:28   #20
waynef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Dolomite View Post
Sorry nothing to add for the o/p but thought that I would mention that that company is not in any way related to 'Ravenscroft Motor Company' who are a Hants based Vehicle recovery and car service centre with branches in Hampshire and Dorset.
I can say that the issues have nothing to do with said company above
waynef is offline   Reply With Quote