Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fluid change for TG-81SC automatic - what are the options?

Views : 3378

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2021, 13:25   #11
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Our 'box is more tardy on start-up in the cold, too, holding gears for longer than usual. It may just be a thing.

...or the 'box being programmed to hold lower gears to improve engine warm-up, perhaps?
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

It might just be that I never noticed this until now rather than it being something new.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2021, 14:15   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
Many thanks.

This is the same as my understanding from when I first broached the question a couple of years back. To be honest, I was probably being a bit hopeful.

What triggered my thinking is that either my perceptions have changed or the box is starting to be a bit slower up-changing when cold; and it also seems generally a little less eager to change up than it was. So, when driving up my own road in the morning, the engine revs generally between 2k and 3k rpm, even on the lightest of throttles, and the car needs a bit of encouragement via the accelerator pedal to changed up to a less noisy gear.

The quality of the changes themselves seems to be ok, however, with no clunks or clonks.

In my imagination, I’m visualising the ATF being more gooey than it should be and generally gumming things up, but perhaps my imagination is entirely misguided. Might it actually be a software thing, for instance?
My car, although not as new as yours does the same thing when cold. It takes slightly longer to change gears, but once warmed up, its fine.

It may need a software update. Worth bringing it to the garage to double check if there's any new updates that need installing.

As the fluid was changed in 2018 & 2019, then in theory, it doesn't need changing again (unless you've done mammoth miles in that two year period, or towed heavy loads).

Software updates would be my port of call, unless you want to spend £300 on another fluid change.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 14th, 2021 at 14:19.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2021, 16:10   #13
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

OP said partial changes, so another 'change' may be indicated, depending on how partial those changes were.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2021, 18:40   #14
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
The experiences I have had contacting Volvo directly haven’t been astoundingly good. They don’t put their greatest technical experts on the end of the phone.

Also, the official Volvo position is that these gearboxes don’t need fluid changes, so my opening gambit would effectively have to be to tell them that they’re wrong in the advice that they give.
Give Chris or Ashley a call at Eastbourne Volvo a call on the parts department. They are 100% and will post to you. Top guys.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2021, 17:51   #15
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
OP said partial changes, so another 'change' may be indicated, depending on how partial those changes were.
OP also said...

Quote:
Many thanks. Horton Cars service both of our Volvos, and I’ve now been a customer for nearly 10 years. They did an ATF change during the annual services in late 2018 and late 2019, but suggested that a further ATF change wasn’t required during the most recent annual service in 2020.

As you’ll see from my posts today, however, I’m worried as I’m sensing a slight change in behaviour but don’t really know the cause.

Perhaps it’s time to talk to Graham.....
Was the fluid partially changed, or was it hooked up to the fancy machine that Horton uses at £300 a time? If the latter, then it definitely doesn't need doing again for a long time.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 16th, 2021 at 17:55.
Old Mar 16th, 2021, 19:37   #16
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

The OP, in the op said it was partially changed twice. Not sure what's to debate?
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2021, 23:11   #17
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
The OP, in the op said it was partially changed twice. Not sure what's to debate?
I'm not debating anything.

I'm just enquiring as to whether Horton do drain & fills, but also offer fluid changes via the machine? You can do partial changes with a machine too you know!

Going back to the OP, the transmission has been looked after. Its had two drain & fills, albeit partial changes (drain & fills presumably) in the space of a few years. Most transmission's don't see that!

Speak to Horton/bring your car along & see if there's any software updates. If there isn't, then you could get another partial fluid change done. Or, pay extra & let the machine do the work for the cleanest results in the quickest time (a full flush).

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 16th, 2021 at 23:23.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 07:31   #18
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I'm not debating anything.

I'm just enquiring as to whether Horton do drain & fills, but also offer fluid changes via the machine? You can do partial changes with a machine too you know!

Going back to the OP, the transmission has been looked after. Its had two drain & fills, albeit partial changes (drain & fills presumably) in the space of a few years. Most transmission's don't see that!

Speak to Horton/bring your car along & see if there's any software updates. If there isn't, then you could get another partial fluid change done. Or, pay extra & let the machine do the work for the cleanest results in the quickest time (a full flush).
Many thanks.

I'm going over there, probably early next week, so there'll be an opportunity for me to discuss it with Graham.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 15:39   #19
Kev0607
Premier Member

Let us know how you get on.
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 18:51   #20
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Let us know how you get on.
Will do.