Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First long run

Views : 3146

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2022, 00:10   #11
sk546
Master Member

[/QUOTE] I'm pretty happy with this to be honest. I've had the same petrol engine in a XC40 T5 in the past and that was truly terrible cruising at those speeds generally averaging around 21mpg. So that seems to show the hybrid drivetrain does make a difference.[/QUOTE]

I can assure you that the T5 2.0 litre turbo engine in your previous XC40 bears almost no resemblance to the 2.0 litre turbo engine in your current T6 recharge except maybe the block as Volvo have done quite some development to improve both efficiency and power. The difference between the previous T8 and the current T8 is vast as far as the power train is concerned never mind T5 and any of the Recharge cars.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 09:25   #12
S90
IT Guru

Yeah I have to agree. My previous 20MY S90 T5 was not a patch on the current T6, which is essentially the same engine.

I guess Volvo do listen to customers, as they could have left the engine and box combo as was, not refined under load, gearbox hesitant and a bit clunky, but they didn't. If you get a chance to drive a new Recharge model I can guarantee you will not believe the difference.
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 10:27   #13
tojt

I see. I thought it was more or less the same engine as the old T5 minus the supercharger, but hadn't looked into it much.

I never got to drive the old PHEV recharge models, so I thought the huge improvements came mainly from the electrification filling in and smoothing out gearshifts and responsiveness etc but I'm glad to hear that the ICE is much improved as well I really do like the drivetrain in this car!
tojt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tojt For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 10:54   #14
S90
IT Guru

All the 2.0 engines are essentially the same with varying levels of forced induction.

Originally we had in the UK

D4 - Turbo
D5 - Supercharged & Turbo and AWD

T5 - Turbo
T6 - Supercharged & Turbo and AWD
T8 - T6 with ERAD

Then it got confusing....

No more diesel.

I think in the 90 series cars now its

T6 Recharge - T5 with ERAD
T8 Recharge - T5 with higher tune and ERAD - No Supercharger anymore

B5 etc, no idea lol, although the B6 is still Supercharged, but that engine only seems to be available on the CC in the UK.

The mind boggles!

Last edited by S90; Nov 30th, 2022 at 11:13.
S90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 14:01   #15
cpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
I used the charge option quite a bit when I was in Derby, it's alot more effective and efficient than in my previous Polestar Engineered. I used it once in my old car but it dropped my mpg by about 5-7mpg.
My new car worked much better without destroying efficiency .
Oddly, I couldn't get the car to charge much further than about 80% / 30 miles using the charge option. Must be a safety feature or something.
I've got a late 2022 XC60 Recharge.
I've been wondering this a bit and been meaning to try it. If I'm doing say a long run with some city driving at each end is it a good idea to use the time on the motorway to charge the battery back up or it that likely to end up being worse over all. I realise its a pretty theoretically question and I should probably just try it but I was wondering if anyone had literally been down that road before me!
Thanks ......
cpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 14:11   #16
Mint Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
All the 2.0 engines are essentially the same with varying levels of forced induction.

Originally we had in the UK

D4 - Turbo
D5 - Supercharged & Turbo and AWD (i thought that the D5 was always a twin turbo, plus power pulse ?)

T5 - Turbo
T6 - Supercharged & Turbo and AWD
T8 - T6 with ERAD

Then it got confusing....

No more diesel.

!
I didn't realise tnat you couldn't get a V90 with diesel anymore - you learn something new every day. I'm glad that I got my D5 when I did.
Mint Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 14:22   #17
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Cake View Post
I didn't realise tnat you couldn't get a V90 with diesel anymore - you learn something new every day. I'm glad that I got my D5 when I did.
You could get a B4 diesel up until a few months ago not sure if it's deleted now though.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 15:17   #18
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Cake View Post
You can still get the CC with the B4 (D4 mild hybrid) and the XC60 and 90's with B4 or B5 mild hybrids.

Last edited by S90; Nov 30th, 2022 at 15:19.
The Following User Says Thank You to S90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 17:05   #19
tojt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpb View Post
I've got a late 2022 XC60 Recharge.
I've been wondering this a bit and been meaning to try it. If I'm doing say a long run with some city driving at each end is it a good idea to use the time on the motorway to charge the battery back up or it that likely to end up being worse over all. I realise its a pretty theoretically question and I should probably just try it but I was wondering if anyone had literally been down that road before me!
Thanks ......
2022 late have the bigger battery right ?

I've done some testing on this but it's a bit more difficult testing since you can't have any real time fuel consumption output on the car and have to reset your trip meters all the time for seeing how much extra load the generator puts on the consumption.

But from what I've gathered it is pretty effective charging if it's flat or a slight decline and engine is not working hard. In those cases I would say it can make sense from a economical point but maybe more just that it's nice to be running electric in the cities.

However, if you have a full battery when starting, using the smart energy distribution feature is likely the best and let the car use the battery/ICE the most effectively based on traffic, distance and elevation changes.
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 17:11   #20
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojt View Post
2022 late have the bigger battery right ?

I've done some testing on this but it's a bit more difficult testing since you can't have any real time fuel consumption output on the car and have to reset your trip meters all the time for seeing how much extra load the generator puts on the consumption.

But from what I've gathered it is pretty effective charging if it's flat or a slight decline and engine is not working hard. In those cases I would say it can make sense from a economical point but maybe more just that it's nice to be running electric in the cities.

However, if you have a full battery when starting, using the smart energy distribution feature is likely the best and let the car use the battery/ICE the most effectively based on traffic, distance and elevation changes.
Yeah 18.x KWh.

Indeed on my 440 mile trip to St Albans I just left it in Hybrid, by the time I got their it still had 3 miles in it, so it knew that I could get off the M1 and to my destination of pure EV power.

Someone on one of the American forums said using B uses more fuel. That you can't coast properly. I told him he was talking %^£&£& and that in B mode, when you lift off and get regen the engine stops. I think the Muricans are having trouble understanding what Hybrid means lol

Last edited by S90; Nov 30th, 2022 at 17:15.
The Following User Says Thank You to S90 For This Useful Post: