Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery not charging

Views : 3335

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 09:15   #11
malcolmsk432
malcolmv70

Thumbs up Re wrestling the alternator

I have made a bit of progress, the alternator charge voltage is rising when the engine is run at higher revs and I can see the battery is charging. This leads me to suspect the new battery is not what it should be. The new one was smaller than the original and may not have the cojones. I am going to try another battery (from the BMW) which is known to be good.
Re wrestling the alternator back on. I had initially had trouble with trying to fit the alternator with the belt in place but this does not work, cant get the bolts in under tension. However, according to a drawing I saw on the internet for the V70, the belt can be put in place after and the tensioning pulley is pulled away from the alternator with a spanner and a spare bolt is inserted through the tensioner to lock it. The belt is then threaded back on and the tensioner released. I had a hell of a job when I did it , removed the pulley, but used a screwdriver socket in the end to jam into the tensioner and then lock it with a screwdriver to get the pulley back on. XC90 might be similar.
Another note, I didn't think the new alternator was working when I got it as when disconnected there is no output. It looks like it needs the load connected for the regulator to work.
Good Luck
malcolmsk432 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmsk432 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 18:08   #12
Argyllt6

got the alternator off the other day and ordered a reconditioned one of ebay from alternator man for £83 with free delivery on an exchange basis..
didnt want to buy a new one from spain supposedly on ebay for £120 rather stick with the oem bosch 120amp one

i cut the old belt off as i might as well replace it since im in there. new battery was bought from the local motor factors an 096 battery.
dreading the wrestle putting it all back together.. !

will let you's know how it goes...
Argyllt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 19:41   #13
TheScrew1972

Looked it up on my copy of VADIS and this is what I found listed under alternator replacement

Generator.pdf

Regulator.pdf

Hope it helps
TheScrew1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 19:55   #14
Argyllt6

right new alternator is on!
skinned all my knuckles in the process. removed the power steering pump
replaced the belt while i was at it
its definetly charging now but noticed i only get 13.40 volts max (depending on engine revs)
was getting over 14 volts on my zafira..??
when driving at 30 mph in town i get 13-13.20 volts as the revs are low...
thought i might be getting more...
but thinking that theres loads of electrics in the car and this might be the reason...?

dont know but so far so good...
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 20:50   #15
A lex
Premier Member

I believe (from memory) that VIDA lists the optimal charge rate at between 13.0-13.4V, depending on outside and battery temp etc.

Sounds like you have got it sorted
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A lex For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 21:07   #16
Argyllt6

thats gave us some confidence... thank you A lex

i had my multi meter hard wired to the battery and had it sitting in the cup holder and was keeping an eye on it.. while i was driving. was slightly paranoid something was not right...

cheers... only got to replace the yaw rate sensor fix the awd as only in 2wd and replace the front right cv joint as it clicks on full lock and i might have a perfect running t6...lol
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 21:18   #17
JPoore

I am having the same problem. Do your self a favor and get your old alternator bench tested before you buy a new one. I have put on two alternator in one day thinking it was the alternator. After installing the second one which was a new Bosh for 525.00 and it still would not charge, I had my original one checked. Yes it was good too. Its something else. I dont know, I hope its not the CEM. If some had same issues and resolved please post what worked for them. What a pain..
JPoore is offline   Reply With Quote