Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1990 240GL Estate

Views : 3652

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2010, 13:55   #11
Neil.Bolton

Listen mate, not sure what side of the bed you fell out of, but I'll tell you a little story.

My grandfather for much of 2009 was very ill. I cared for him for nearly 8 months while he needed that 24/7 care that elderly people dying need.

He and I spent many an evening discussing the different things that needed doing on previous Volvo's he owned, and took me through all the things that Volvo has had done.

He passed it over to me when he could'nt drive it any longer, and I asked if he'd be ok if we took it to France, explaining a little plan we had.

He, of a man with a sense of humour, thought it was a wonderful idea.

His words were this "If I'd known it was THAT good, I'd have charged you double!"

He died in October a happy man, knowing that I was enjoying and using the Volvo as it should be.

It has not been turrned into a builders rubble skip, nor has it a tatty interior.

It still has an immaculate set of seats, including the very nice rear headrests, and a very tidy rear boot carpet.

So carry on, tell me I'm disrespecting my grandfather, and see how far you get.

In fact, whilst my spleen is on a little venting platform, I'll add this. I think that actually, you spouting your little beration shows little respect for my grandfather and seeing as you know nothing of how I look after cars or how I use them, shows you're quite rude.

Now, like to add anything to that? Or are we just armchair tyre kicking?

>wonderswheretheycomefrom<
Neil.Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 14:16   #12
57RKL

That's gone too far now. I'm talking about the car not your beloved Grandfather.

I may be old fashioned, maybe grumpy but that is me and my opinion is because I believe car's such as this one owner 240 should be treasured and respected. I own two such Volvo 240s that are stored undercover unused, both were bought from the sons of their deceased Fathers and were Father's their pride and joy. One had been kept for five years because they couldn't part with it.They were over the moon when I told them collected these car's and would be kept for my Son when old enough and would always be cherished. I have four in total, you probably think thats quite sad if you are used to living it up in the South of France.

Back to your car, I think trying to sell a classic car on an enthusiasts forum with the graffiti attached is akin to going for an job interview wearing a hoodie.
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 14:26   #13
Neil.Bolton

Its rather sad that you've brought two cars that will never ever be used.

I may be a little out there on this thought, but in my eyes cars have souls, and they need to be used, and used properly (i.e. taken nice places, given a work out etc).

Storing a car unused is as big a crime as you probably see me putting some removable vinyl stickers on a car.

At the end of the day, it's a 240 Estate, not a ruddy Buggati Type 57S Atlantic that only gets wheeled out for the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance once a year.

Before you start pointing fingers at my lifestyle too, I'll have you know that I don't 'live it up in the South of France' - I choose to take my hard earned money and enjoy the things I own and drive them how they should be driven.

How's about you leave with the rather sad comments, and let those who actually use and enjoy their cars make their own mind up.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 14:36   #14
57RKL

You have not picked up on the fact that I have a sense of humour too then

The car that hasn't moved for five years is an unmarked show car, no it's not a Bugatti but ordinary folk can relate to these cars ie " look, my first boss used to drive one of those in the eighties" It does need running and will be used Summer's shows and special occasions only. The other is stored 20 miles away, if I didn't take it, it could have ended up on the banger track, I had to 'save' it, it was my duty to allseeing car God.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 14:40   #15
Neil.Bolton

Well if you had a sense of humour, you'll have noticed that the removeable vinyl stickers that poke fun at it's performance and handling were just a little bit of fun.

As it is, we made a couple of French Volvo drivers laugh, and one Porsche driver actually wet himself laughing and come see us at the service station and chat away to us.

Not like we screwed bloody pine boards to it and pretended to be a Sauna is it?

Or have you no fingernails?
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 14:44   #16
VND
Now with added T4

Ok lads.

There seems to be a lot of FOR SALE threads running like this recently.
And its very counterproductive.

If you want the car, or admire it, by all means post on a FOR SALE thread.
But critisism really doesnt have any place in this section.
If you dont like the car, move on.
If you do, contact the buyer and go and look at it.

Arguing, though sometimes fun and waranted, achieves nothing.

Whos with me?
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 14:47   #17
Neil.Bolton

I'm there.

Fancy a nice 240, I know one with only two careful owners...
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 14:47   #18
ilovecarreravolvos

Blimey!

anyone would think you've offered to sell a morris marina with a piano on it...

57KRL - Get a grip will you, this volvo has removable stickers on it, not graffiti. Like the guy said, his grandfather thought it was amusing, so has everyone else apart from you. I think you need a little perspective my friend, there's being an enthiusiast about a marque and then there's being a sad man who cant see a little fun when its being had
ilovecarreravolvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 14:49   #19
57RKL

Much as I am enjoying our little tete 'a' tete I've got to do some work now but watch this space.......

Richard
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 14:51   #20
VND
Now with added T4