Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar XC90 Performance Upgrade - Worth It?

Views : 32147

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2010, 14:49   #11
reggie59

everyone seems to focus on the price... but does it add any value to the driving? If not, I would not do it even if it cost £50.

There is very little information about it. It is not on Volvo accessories/performance so Volvo is not that keen to promote it.. any reasons? That is suspicious by itself.

Does it improve performance? I seem to remember that Volvo published official data. Economy and performance were the same (BTW, how can an engine have 20bhp and more torque and have exactly same speed and 0-60??)

Would be good to hear from people who test drove it or upgraded their car.

RP
reggie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 16:48   #12
catbert

The demo model i drove had this. it was a auto like mine. There was a three month gap between driving it and getting mine, but i did notice my auto changes around alot more than i remember the demonstrator. I did ask a local mapper today about a remap, and he can do it for 270 all in. Just worried about voiding the warranty. Will get me to 220ish hp and 60nm torque extra.
catbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 18:59   #13
reggie59

>but i did notice my auto changes around alot more than i remember the demonstrator

do you mean your box changes gear more often?
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 19:21   #14
AB-UK
Premier Member

How does the Polestar "upgrade" differ from the RICA offering?
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 12:32   #15
ITServe
XC90 Exec in Grey Pearl

I'd decided not to get the Polestar upgrade because of the extra insurance cost. However! I have just got back to Volvo insurance, and after an initial quote of 520 quid, getting them down to 483 and then leaving it a couple of weeks; I just got back to them and they quoted me a reduced price of 380 quid fully comp with Euro cover etc etc! What's more, they have confirmed to me today that they will not make any additional charge for the Polestar upgrade if installed. So I will be booking in to the local dealer for the week's free trial on Monday!

They also told me that for the free trial I don't even need to tell them. If I go ahead and have it installed, then just a quick call to let them know. But definitely no more money to pay!

Glad I held out and tried Volvo insurance one more time!
ITServe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 17:40   #16
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

Default polestar remap

would be very interested to hear from anyone who has had it done for xc90
looking at spec it appears extra power and torque is at the higher rev range and has lower power/torque at lower revs so whether that is good in the real world or whether the drive is less relaxed - would like an update from anyone using the polestar upgrade
chunderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 20:27   #17
scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunderground View Post
looking at spec it appears extra power and torque is at the higher rev range and has lower power/torque at lower revs so whether that is good in the real world or whether the drive is less relaxed - would like an update from anyone using the polestar upgrade
From the graphs I have seen, it gives more torque everywere, even at lower revs.
scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 23:12   #18
reggie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITServe View Post
I'd decided not to get the Polestar upgrade because of the extra insurance cost. However! I have just got back to Volvo insurance, and after an initial quote of 520 quid, getting them down to 483 and then leaving it a couple of weeks; I just got back to them and they quoted me a reduced price of 380 quid fully comp with Euro cover etc etc! What's more, they have confirmed to me today that they will not make any additional charge for the Polestar upgrade if installed. So I will be booking in to the local dealer for the week's free trial on Monday!

They also told me that for the free trial I don't even need to tell them. If I go ahead and have it installed, then just a quick call to let them know. But definitely no more money to pay!

Glad I held out and tried Volvo insurance one more time!
IT Serve,

What is the verdict on the Polestar?
Also, did you check effect on the MPG?

Many thanks,
RP
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 23:39   #19
Britsud
Anycolouraslongasitsblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunderground View Post
Quicker off the mark if you need to, 33mpg is my average, great low down torque and overtaking seems better. Massive improvement on the 163 and certainly more reponsive than the 185, the real change comes when you want to drive hard as it realy comes alive then. Im sure the lighter xc60 with this mod is very quick indeed ?

Bri
2008my xc90 sport,Polestar 205bhp, Flip down DVD, Full intergrated phone volvo on call, RTI Satnav full post code, privacy glass, Winter pack, Family pack, calcite soft leather, .Bi-xenon active headlights, Brembo discs Redstuff Pads.
Britsud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Britsud For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 07:50   #20
ITServe
XC90 Exec in Grey Pearl

Still waiting to have my upgrade done, as local dealer too expensive, I have been offered a discounted upgrade at the supplying dealer so will be taking it there when I can!
ITServe is offline   Reply With Quote