Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'52 V40 D. Can't Get Disc to Come off

Views : 1284

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2011, 10:53   #11
scotlandtim

Thanks for all the input so far. Can anyone tell me where this elusive screw may or may not be located?

Thanks.
scotlandtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 11:12   #12
Milky400

i only ever remeber seeing a screw on the rears!!!! it will be blatantly obvious where the screw is, its on the Hub part of the disc cannoit miss it, i remeber the two times i have replaced rear disc (seperate cars) i have ended up drilling the screw out as the tend to sieze very easily.

but all else fails, and there is no screw get a big mallet as said!!!! or post a pic up
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 11:20   #13
andy_d
Premier Member

the screw is between two of the wheel studs.
the disk certainly wont come off with it still in, and depending on the rust on the front face of the disk under where the wheel bolted, you might not see it to start with, wire brush and give it a clean between the wheel studs.
if you have a screw,its a good bet your on the orriginal disks, as aftermarket ones dont tend to come with the little screw, and folk have mullered the old one getting it out.
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 08:22   #14
coupeboy

There is usually NO screw on the front discs but there are two threaded holes opposite each other. Buy two M8 bolts - 2 inches long should do - and thread both these in (use copper slip to make it easier and clean up the threads). You'll need a spanner to start turning them evenly against the hub. This will push the disc off. Simples. One of my disc threads was damaged but still managed to dislodge it from one side and whack with a hammer from behind on the other. Hope you get it sorted. As others have said the most time on this job should be cleaning up the hub for the new disc to ensure you don't get steering wheel shimmy when braking.
coupeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 17:57   #15
peacebank

On my father in laws s40 I just went at it with a sledge hammer until they came off.

Two tips for this though - make sure the car is very securely on axel stands, as it will need a fair battering, and also make sure you have got the right parts as replacement, as you will destroy the disc with this method!!
peacebank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 13:22   #16
scotlandtim

Thanks all for replies.

Sorry I haven't got back to you prior to now. Just had a chance to get at them again.

The trick was to use the old caliper bolts 12mm into the threaded hole in the old disc and they pushed it off. Nice bit of design there once i'd worked it out!!

Thanks again for input.

Car running splendidly again. Will be putting it in for MOT next week!!
scotlandtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 13:26   #17
960kg
Premier Member

nice one!!

That`s what brains are for

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 13:54   #18
Richard_TD
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotlandtim View Post
Thanks all for replies.

Sorry I haven't got back to you prior to now. Just had a chance to get at them again.

The trick was to use the old caliper bolts 12mm into the threaded hole in the old disc and they pushed it off. Nice bit of design there once i'd worked it out!!

Thanks again for input.

Car running splendidly again. Will be putting it in for MOT next week!!
That's exactly what I was going to suggest when I saw the thread title.

It seems such a no-brainer once it occurs to you. I had a similar problem and was almost in tears trying to get the disc off our Citroen C5. I'd already bent the disc to the extent that reassembly wasn't an option, it had got dark, my ears were ringing and the other car was behind it in the drive.

Once I sat back a bit and thought about it I had the same idea as you, and the job was completed a few minutes later. One thing's for sure, we'll both remember the next time.
Richard_TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 15:29   #19
convert

Glad I read this thread.

That's a few tears avoided in the future
convert is offline   Reply With Quote