Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

mp3 problem and aux in

Views : 7673

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 16:44   #11
36016v
SILVER S40 T5 2005

ripped it apart again today
the yellow wire is audio right (position 9)
the unsheathed wire is the ground for the 3.5mm jack (position 14)
the black wire behind the unsheathed wire is audio left (posistion 7 on grey plug)
sorry for any confusion
the yellow and red (pos 1) and green and red (position 2) in the grey connector are 12v supplies
the black wire (pos 8) is an earth.

from what i can see, these power the unit itself

pcb layout of board above unit from 06 v50 6 disc changer
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8448/v502009jg4.jpg

the cd changers in 2004+ and 2006+ models are identical, it looks like the cases and ancillaries i.e. the radio afm receiver is now fitted in.

in theory you should be able to fit one of these newer units into an older car if you can get the airiel inputs to the front of the car and a power and ign source 12v, and also change the optical connector to get rid of four way power side connection to just have the two opticals, then all volvo would be have to do is flash the software onto your pre 2006/7 car.

Its all theory but there is no reason why the software update couldnt be done on an older car that way, after all the software is just a program running with all the other programs.

It will only be a matter of time before someone with access to volvos software downloader will try this and it will work.

what it really needs is someone with an electronics degree to reverse engineer the pcb to find an input on the existing cd changer unit
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 13:41   #12
tigerbalm

Slightly unrelated question but how did you get the "silver or wood effect" middle console off? I can see the two screws behind the panel that the 12v socket is in but there is something else holding it in and I can't find it?

Any assistance would be great!

tigerbalm
tigerbalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 14:38   #13
JamboV50

Hi,

There are a few screws holding it in and some clips witch need to be depressed in the cd slot. I have just purchased a new ally console from ebay and it came with fitting instructions, mabe you can get the same info from tinternet or the stealers. If all else fails i can photo copy what i have or scan it and then send it to you?
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 23:02   #14
36016v
SILVER S40 T5 2005

heres a pic of the fm modulator setup i use to get an aux input into the sterio

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/7868/amp008sf7.jpg
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 20:47   #15
Andi Licious

Has everyone given up on this idea? I paid £40 for an FM transmitter/holder/charger for my new ipod classic, it cant hold it where i want it, i cant change gear with it in the 12v socket and the sound quality is POO!

Can we get hold of a wiring diagram or PCB schematic of both the new & old?

I know an electrickery god who should be able to come up with a solution!

Andy
Andi Licious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 21:41   #16
36016v
SILVER S40 T5 2005

im not aware of any circuit diagram in existence for either but if your mate knows his stuff he shoukd be able to solder inputs into the system somewhere
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 10:09   #17
Andi Licious

Without the wiring diagram it'l mean he'd need my car for a while and to start pulling it apart and looking for stuff without knowing where he should be looking!

Need my car everyday so thats out the question!!

il keep looking, i found a full wiring diagram for every wire on my mg tf that i had so im certain that it'l be out there somewhere.....
Andi Licious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 22:01   #18
MKC70

I believe this thread has promise, and would like to see it stay active.
My question, is the 14 pin gray connector the same for the single disc as it is for the 6 disc. If they are different then what wires are the same, what is different. Images of the plugs would be useful, The reason why I am asking is that I am tinkering with a salvage S40 radio (2005). It is a single disc that does not have any of the plugs, just the center console piece, lcd screen, and cd unit itself. Those of you that want a direct input with the factory system keep trying. Any assistance or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
MKC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 06:09   #19
Junes

Default Aux distortion

Some suggestions will be appreciated.

I recently bought an XC90 with an aftermarket dvd player, which the previous owners tells me he used the fm transmitter to play it through the cars sound system. As you probably know this doesn't work so well in the city with so many radio stations.

I found an AV out 3.5 jack at the back of the DVD player and have connected it to the AV in on the centre console but the distortion is too much. The distortion is there even when disconnecting the cable.

Two questions:
What can be done to improve the fm trasmitter signal? Is there a setting on the radio unit?
Why would the aux channel have so much distortion and what can be done to lower/get rid of it. The distortion is there even with the engine off.
Junes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:36   #20
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36016v View Post
why doesnt a volvo mech or someone with one of the new 2007 s40's or similar with the most audio system take out the waste paper bin behind the floating console and trace the cables to where they finish or splice into the audio system so that all the other non aux in volvo's can finally get their mp3 hooked up with using the crappy fm modulator method.

or does anyone have the lastest vadis wiring, i can only get upto 2006 with my vadis disc which doesnt show the wiring connection for aux in.

from reading various forums then it is just a matter of getting teh delear to flash your system with the new settings to include the aux in option on your system

with all this non compatible rubbish and negative "you cant do that sir", its a wonder volvo gets any development done at all.

maybe a freindly volvo engineer who is a forum member could post when they had discovered the routing when working on a customers car.

i was very tempted the other day to rip the deep storage bin out of the c70 i was looking at and trace the wires myself.

it just seems so easy to do it that way. i miss my mp3 player in the car
Can I Please get a copy of your VADIS disc, i'll cover any costs!

05 Plate S40 SE Sport
Bigmunkynutz is offline   Reply With Quote