Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another 'what tyre' question

Views : 6094

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2010, 17:48   #11
Big Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffo View Post
Dont the XC90s have Pirelli's? I think mine does.
I
My XC90 Active with D5 my2010 on standard alloys is on Continental's from new. So it must be down to which wheels are supplied ! ! !
Big Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 17:49   #12
GJB
Premier Member

Volvo advise putting new tyres on front and older tyres on rear!
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 20:26   #13
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stew View Post
I
My XC90 Active with D5 my2010 on standard alloys is on Continental's from new. So it must be down to which wheels are supplied ! ! !
think Continental's come on 18". Pirellis on 19" and over. Mine has 255/50/19 Pirelli's and they haven't worn too good. From the reviews i've read, I'm going to go for the General Grabbers or Vreadsteins in a few months when they will need to be changed.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 20:35   #14
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Volvo advise putting new tyres on front and older tyres on rear!
Everyone probably agrees that it is best if all four tyres are equal, but if they are not, then the question of whether the better traction should be on the front or rear seems to be a controversy getting attention. The US tyre seller TireRack comes down on the side of having better traction in the rear.

See http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=52&

The TireRack argument rests on what is better to control hydroplaning. Perhaps on dry pavement even Tire Rack would be of the opinion that it would be better to have better traction in the front. My thinking is that I am not likely to overdrive my tyres on dry pavement, but sometimes in the wet I do have to stop scarily short.

Last edited by Jim314; Jul 28th, 2010 at 20:39.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 22:02   #15
Dibble
VOC Member

Was always told that the good tyres go on the rear. I was under the impression that that was also Volvo recommendation. I stand to be corrected.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 22:14   #16
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble View Post
Was always told that the good tyres go on the rear. I was under the impression that that was also Volvo recommendation. I stand to be corrected.
likewise, years ago, it used to be new/good on the front, but last 10 years or so it appears to be to the rear, the idea being if they blow you are more likely to be able to control a front tyre blowing, than a rear.

again, only what i have heard, so i also stand to be corrected
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 08:28   #17
GJB
Premier Member

Maybe Clan can throw some light on this?
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 17:36   #18
ascender

I thought the logic goes that you put newer tyres on the driven wheels, so FWD = front and RWD = rear.

As regards tyres, loving the Nokians. Loads of grip in all conditions and seem to be hard wearing.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 21:51   #19
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

I saw an xc90 in Tenby today with 4 iota accelera tyres on it. I wonder if anyone has experience of these? My front continental tyres have virtually worn the outer rim away yet the rest of the tread is still above the tyre markers. The rears are 6mm of grip equally across the width... any ideas of whats causing this? The tracking seems fine and I don't corner like Senna?
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 09:25   #20
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
I thought the logic goes that you put newer tyres on the driven wheels, so FWD = front and RWD = rear.

As regards tyres, loving the Nokians. Loads of grip in all conditions and seem to be hard wearing.
My understanding of it was to do with how the tyres are loaded and due to the light loading on th rear you want the better grip there. I think 5th gear did a test on it with a clio and tried all the different combos and came up with the new on the back to stop oversteer.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote