Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Constructive input needed

Views : 2556

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: This is what i would do in your situation Blue
Id keep your current car 23 85.19%
Id sale your current car and buy a T5 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 30th, 2009, 17:24   #11
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds Lad View Post
Why not spend a couple of quid getting the paint work tidied up, then get a few mods, ie pipercross filter, wide bore exhaust, nicer wheels, handling kit and there are people on here (better qualified than me) to advise you on getting the car chipped and a thorough service, this will give you a few extra horses and you get to keep the devil you know. When this is all finished get a total valet and the car you get back will put a larger smile on your face, knowing that the money you have spent has not been wasted.
Wide bore exhaust, handling kit ,pipercross filter, ? nah not my style mate

As for a total valet and a thorough service, i guess you have not seen my car or been around these parts for long

your inputs cool buddy just not for me

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 17:30   #12
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
I have been here before and its a tough decision, you have got a lovely car there mate that you know very well, thing is you could pobably buy a very nice t5 with what you would get for your car, have you weighed up the difference in insurance?
If its gonna cost a lot more is it worth it for that extra 5% of enthusiastic driving, but that turbo can be addictive and its hard to drive it sensibly so its gonna cost you more in the long run mpg wise.

It sounds like you have a turbo itch that needs scratching, would be great if you could find a nice 854 t5 in that colour and spec with good history but i would take your time on this, why does the bonnet need painting?
Hello mate

Turbo itch yeah possibly, i don't know just feel i could go one better than what Ive got? funny i had my M5 for years and that was NA and a turbo motor never bothered me, i have had a few turbos in my time, oh i really don't know bud.

The bonnet is the only part of the car that has any marks on it (stone chips) and every time i clean it they really bug me , plus as i sure you know by now I'm ultra fussy

Last edited by Blue 8; May 30th, 2009 at 17:32.
Old May 30th, 2009, 17:48   #13
Leeds Lad
Leeds Lad

Fair enough, it's just I have had a T5 855 and that was really addictive, but once you have added up the price of extra insurance, running costs and the more complicated bits and pieces, I did not mind driving the 2.5 854 of my father in laws and to be fair I didn't think there was that much in it with his being a manual and mine being an auto and I reckoned a few tuning mods would have run my T5 close without wondering if on full boost the turbo was going to call it quits.
Admittedly I am now on my second D5 and I do like the power of that with reasonable ecomony. But when it comes to cars I have always 'done them up' with discrete mods, until they became a money pit. I have put on larger bore exhausts and all the other bits I mentioned, without making the car look or sound like a twelve year old boy racer with a knackered Nova, I have had them built by a proper exhaust maker with a large silencer to keep the sound down, It's just worth looking at, as again it's always better the devil you know.
Leeds Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeds Lad For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2009, 19:23   #14
James A
VOC Member

Better the Volvo you know than the Volvo you don't - something which I am currently finding out the hard way...
2014-Date: 1992 940SE Turbo automatic estate 'Wentworth' - The Wentworth
James A is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James A For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2009, 19:31   #15
the alarming man
V.O.C MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue 8 View Post
Hello mate

Turbo itch yeah possibly, i don't know just feel i could go one better than what Ive got? funny i had my M5 for years and that was NA and a turbo motor never bothered me, i have had a few turbos in my time, oh i really don't know bud.

The bonnet is the only part of the car that has any marks on it (stone chips) and every time i clean it they really bug me , plus as i sure you know by now I'm ultra fussy
i would keep the car you have got...having seen some pics of her she seems very tidy,and you have already said she been reliable....as for being fussy it wouldnt cost alot(in the scheme of things) to get bonnet sorted...you could buy a T-5 and it could end up being a money pit,and i doubt if you could find a one owner with full service history like you have at the mo...that my 2 p for whats it worth
the alarming man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the alarming man For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2009, 21:52   #16
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Hello mate

Saying that an M5 dont need a turbo does it as im sure you will know all the power seems to be at the top end of the revs, mine screams after 4500 rpm, then you run out of road lol.

Or is it you just fancy a change? If so I would defo have a good hunt around mate, i aint seen many 850s as mint as the one you got now and dont expect to see many especially that colour, I wanted that colour the only ones I could find had galactic miles on them and rough round the edges so i settled for dark metalic blue in the end, but i would swap it without a second thought if i came across a half decent 854 t5 auto in that colour
Old May 30th, 2009, 22:38   #17
ahal
Master Member

Thumbs up

Fwiw I agree with all the folk who say you should stick with it. It's not unknown for a car to have fsh and look 100% but still have some electronic gremlins that'll make your life hell. I've often been tempted to buy a newer car, but could never bring myself to do it. The fact that I know a few owners of new cars that have had nothing but bother with them sort of sealed that arguement for me

If you get a good one ( and it sound like you have ) keep 'er alive, that's what I say anyway.

Regards,

Tony
Old May 30th, 2009, 23:33   #18
st5ve
S60 R

Blue,
I really feel your pain, I have been in your situation so many times and in fact I am thinking of selling a car or two to raise capital for doing some more modifying to my T5 and doing some work on my 854 R. But can not decide what to do, but that’s my problem not yours.

I have just had a look at your car and it does look very nice, rear spoiler, climate control, leather seats and nice colour. Putting 17 inch alloys on coupled with the Eibach springs and R front spoiler will give it a nice look but you will have spent around £300 for the spoiler, between £300 & £400 for 4 alloys maybe £200 for the paint and perhaps the same for the springs, then you will have to buy new boots for the alloys costing between £60 and £100 per corner. A rough guide of over £1000 you will be spending on your car.

I think deep down inside you would really like a smart looking T5 with a fair amount of toys, I personally think with the money you are going to spend on your current car coupled with the money you would get for it if you were to sell you would get a really nice 854 T5. Just take your time think long and hard and write all the pros and cons down on a piece of paper.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons as they say there is a guy on here selling a S80 T6 for £1k that is a load of car very next to nothing, worth a thought?
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 11:53   #19
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by st5ve View Post
Blue,
I really feel your pain, I have been in your situation so many times and in fact I am thinking of selling a car or two to raise capital for doing some more modifying to my T5 and doing some work on my 854 R. But can not decide what to do, but that’s my problem not yours.

I have just had a look at your car and it does look very nice, rear spoiler, climate control, leather seats and nice colour. Putting 17 inch alloys on coupled with the Eibach springs and R front spoiler will give it a nice look but you will have spent around £300 for the spoiler, between £300 & £400 for 4 alloys maybe £200 for the paint and perhaps the same for the springs, then you will have to buy new boots for the alloys costing between £60 and £100 per corner. A rough guide of over £1000 you will be spending on your car.

I think deep down inside you would really like a smart looking T5 with a fair amount of toys, I personally think with the money you are going to spend on your current car coupled with the money you would get for it if you were to sell you would get a really nice 854 T5. Just take your time think long and hard and write all the pros and cons down on a piece of paper.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons as they say there is a guy on here selling a S80 T6 for £1k that is a load of car very next to nothing, worth a thought?
Yes i worked it out at about £1,200, but its not a money issue, id quite happily spend that on my current car, to get it how i would like it

Im going out in a mo to have a look at a couple of T5`s one manual and one auto, the auto is a 854 the manual is a 855, im not interested in the 855 but i just want to get a feel for T5 manual car if you know what i mean ?

As for the S80 Nah .

Old May 31st, 2009, 13:40   #20
st5ve
S60 R

Quote:
Yes i worked it out at about £1,200, but its not a money issue, id quite happily spend that on my current car, to get it how i would like it

Im going out in a mo to have a look at a couple of T5`s one manual and one auto, the auto is a 854 the manual is a 855, im not interested in the 855 but i just want to get a feel for T5 manual car if you know what i mean ?

As for the S80 Nah .
Yep didnt think you would go for the S80
Drive a few 850's manual and auto, the good thing about the fact you prefer the saloon is they tend to be cheaper. Good luck in your search
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to st5ve For This Useful Post: