Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hard Choice V60 D4 or D5 - help!!!

Views : 2621

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2012, 23:31   #11
Lookas

BenH, what mpg are you achieving in your V60 on motorway run?
Lookas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 19:11   #12
BenH
On a journey...

^^ I'm afraid that I'm yet to receive my V60 yet - I've ordered it and expect it to arrive mid-January.

Looking at the Volvo EC Combined Cycle tests, the D4 and D5 are similar overall and the D5 is fractionally more efficient on the higher speed test.

In reality, who knows? My parents have a 2011 V70 "D3" Geartronic 2.0d 5-cylinder with 163PS (i.e. what is now known as the D4) and have averaged 37mpg across all driving types - seems good to me for a big automatic.
BenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 09:57   #13
Lookas

Second day in my DEMO V60 D5 R-Design LuxNav - in Rebel Blue!
Wow, what a car. For the last 12 months I have driven many different cars - Astra 2.0 CDTI 160, Insignia 2.0CDTI 160, A3 1.6 and 2.0TDI,A6 2.0TDI, Mazda6 2.2D 185, Seat Leon and Exceo 2.0TDI 140, MB C-class 220CDI, Skoda Superb 2.0TDI, VW Passat 1.6 Bluemotion

Skoda Superb must be the best value for money car, road handling is very good, interior quality is better than Audi and VW, bags of space. However - is let down by high tax bracket due to emissions - 23%, VW Group must have not fitted Start/Stop in it for a reason - otherwise I would be Passat-killer.

Volvo have won me by hart, great styling and image, very good interior design and quality.Engine - 5 cyl in line, sounds nice and it's really punchy. It's not perfect though - steering could be more direct (as Superb, A3), and fuel consuption, hmm, far from manufacturers data!
I drove 120miles from London to Worcester doing 60-65mph (bad weather) and averaged 44mpg - that is a REAL figure not from trip computer which showed 54mpg! Volvo quoting 70mpg in extra-urban!

So, I don't think I'll go with D5 as I'll be able to claim only 18p/mile (following gov guidance), i think D3 will be better for me (15p/mile)- cheaper CC tax and better fuel consumption but still punchy. I'm not to convinced with Volvo SatNav - nice big screen but map display is not as clear as latest TomTom which is just better and cheaper.
I like the the active-bending Xenons though, so may go for V60 D3 R-Design Lux!
Lookas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 10:14   #14
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookas View Post
Second day in my DEMO V60 D5 R-Design LuxNav - in Rebel Blue!
Wow, what a car. For the last 12 months I have driven many different cars - Astra 2.0 CDTI 160, Insignia 2.0CDTI 160, A3 1.6 and 2.0TDI,A6 2.0TDI, Mazda6 2.2D 185, Seat Leon and Exceo 2.0TDI 140, MB C-class 220CDI, Skoda Superb 2.0TDI, VW Passat 1.6 Bluemotion

Skoda Superb must be the best value for money car, road handling is very good, interior quality is better than Audi and VW, bags of space. However - is let down by high tax bracket due to emissions - 23%, VW Group must have not fitted Start/Stop in it for a reason - otherwise I would be Passat-killer.

Volvo have won me by hart, great styling and image, very good interior design and quality.Engine - 5 cyl in line, sounds nice and it's really punchy. It's not perfect though - steering could be more direct (as Superb, A3), and fuel consuption, hmm, far from manufacturers data!
I drove 120miles from London to Worcester doing 60-65mph (bad weather) and averaged 44mpg - that is a REAL figure not from trip computer which showed 54mpg! Volvo quoting 70mpg in extra-urban!

So, I don't think I'll go with D5 as I'll be able to claim only 18p/mile (following gov guidance), i think D3 will be better for me (15p/mile)- cheaper CC tax and better fuel consumption but still punchy. I'm not to convinced with Volvo SatNav - nice big screen but map display is not as clear as latest TomTom which is just better and cheaper.
I like the the active-bending Xenons though, so may go for V60 D3 R-Design Lux!
Just to point out this is NOT manufacturers data but government data all are done to the same specifications in labs in perfect conditions without any additional fuel eating devices on so your heaters, heated seats, A/C etc. it goes on and on. So the fact that the MPG was lower is no surprise at all, add into that the conditions (which means the engine would have to be working harder) and to be fair that only adds to the argument for why you got a lower MPG plus many manufacturers cars are actually getting further away from the real driving life as the roads get less smooth, our climate appears to be changing etc. etc.

Last edited by Ninja59; Dec 12th, 2012 at 10:18.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 19:40   #15
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookas View Post

Engine - 5 cyl in line, sounds nice and it's really punchy. It's not perfect though - steering could be more direct (as Superb, A3), and fuel consuption, hmm, far from manufacturers data!

So, I don't think I'll go with D5 as I'll be able to claim only 18p/mile (following gov guidance), i think D3 will be better for me (15p/mile)- cheaper CC tax and better fuel consumption but still punchy.
Reckon the D3 will be a great 'inbetweener' for you ,cost and performance wise. D2 is fine, although sluggish to take off although fine when moving. Volvo MPG figures are real wide of the mark! D2 is showing 48mpg average.Out of interest what were your MPG returns on the Insignia? I drove an Insignia for 3 months, last year, and hard driving returned 50mpg, whilst sedate driving returned over 60mpg. It was an SRi, although not sure whether it was 130 or 160bhp. Quick though,although a bit too much torque steer.Nice car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Just to point out this is NOT manufacturers data but government data all are done to the same specifications in labs in perfect conditions without any additional fuel eating devices on so your heaters, heated seats, A/C etc. it goes on and on. So the fact that the MPG was lower is no surprise at all, add into that the conditions (which means the engine would have to be working harder) and to be fair that only adds to the argument for why you got a lower MPG plus many manufacturers cars are actually getting further away from the real driving life as the roads get less smooth, our climate appears to be changing etc. etc.
I fully agree with your sentiment, although whilst all tests are done under the same lab conditions, I find Volvo to be 'wider of the mark' ref MPG; than other brands.

I am averaging 36MPG in the D5, well far of the 50 the 'gov' suggests. Ok I am using the performance from time to time, although I would say I am a sedate driver 'most' of the time. (most not always... )

Regards

ps Ref the 'other post' Ninja, in the last few days I have taken more note of bad drivers and who they are, and the majority turn out to be mid to late 40's earlier 50's..!!!!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 19:55   #16
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Regards

ps Ref the 'other post' Ninja, in the last few days I have taken more note of bad drivers and who they are, and the majority turn out to be mid to late 40's earlier 50's..!!!!
i like this bit!
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 20:38   #17
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
i like this bit!

I am going to edit my post and delete it then it looks like you made up the post..lol.

Seriously though, done about 1000 miles this week,and found the problems with younger drivers were mainly in towns. Had a couple of issues of plain and simple dangerous driving today, by mid 40's early 50's men. Plain and simple violent agression. I ignored and did not rise to the bait, although must say I was furious and had it come to 'egression of vehicle', I would have struggled to remain as calm as I usually do. My elderly father was with me, which made me cross (not the fact he was with me...lol) just that I value his life greatly, and these 'drivers' really needed a 'lesson'. Just let it go though and chilled.

Remember do not take to heart that all young drivers are plebs!! Just some!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post: