Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo....never again!

Views : 5112

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 16:19   #11
T888

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post
Have you cleaned the throttle body?
Have you replaced the fuel pump and or relay?
Yes I cleaned the throttle body, relpaced fuel pump relay, and replaced fuel filter.

I haven't changed the pump though, are they prone to faliure?
T888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 16:24   #12
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T888 View Post
Yes I cleaned the throttle body, relpaced fuel pump relay, and replaced fuel filter.

I haven't changed the pump though, are they prone to faliure?
They are but not at that mileage. However you have tried just about everything else so it is a factor. You would ideally need a fuel pressure guage on your fuel line at the valve next to the injectors to check the FPR and the pump.

Have you also tried some oil down the spark plug holes to see if it is low compression you are suffering from? At that mileage it sounds like it may have been used for short journeys. Worth doing a compression check on all 5 cylinders too.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 16:40   #13
DaveC19
VOC Member

Quote:
The previous owner who had it over 13 years looked after it very well, a FSH, mostly Volvo. I have old bills from his ownership and he always used genuine parts etc!

He is 83 years old, was reluctant to sell, a genuine car i thought!
Clearly I imagined wrong, apologies to the elderly gent who looked after his car so well.
But 69k in 15 years is very little and cars need to be driven - if not parts tend to seize up.
Hope you get it sorted, the guys on here are great. If not better luck with its replacement.

now: New Toy: '96 850R man. est., (T4/16t/M59)
DaveC19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 16:43   #14
T888

Quote:
They are but not at that mileage. However you have tried just about everything else so it is a factor. You would ideally need a fuel pressure guage on your fuel line at the valve next to the injectors to check the FPR and the pump.

Have you also tried some oil down the spark plug holes to see if it is low compression you are suffering from? At that mileage it sounds like it may have been used for short journeys. Worth doing a compression check on all 5 cylinders too.
I have had a compression test which was fine, but have not gagued for fuel pressure at the rail. I have cracked the valve on the rail and fuel comes out with a healthy spurt!
The previous owner used it mainly for jollys to France, but there was periods of it being parked up between. He probably took it for a run around the block every so often!

I agree with an earlier post where low milage is not always a good thing!

I can't help thinking the problem is electrical, and judgeing by visable wiring, and the state of the earths of which I have cleaned, it could be a factor.

I did have a hell of a starting problem, which I sorted a couple weeks ago, and wonder if the problem is linked somehow?

Thanks for your encouragement, it really would be a shame to scrap it, problems aside, its in lovely condition!
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 16:46   #15
T888

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC19 View Post
Clearly I imagined wrong, apologies to the elderly gent who looked after his car so well.
But 69k in 15 years is very little and cars need to be driven - if not parts tend to seize up.
Hope you get it sorted, the guys on here are great. If not better luck with its replacement.
I definately agree that low milage isn't all its cracked up to be! I once had a Peugeot 406 with 260k on the clock and cost me nothing more than an alternator in my 4 years of ownership!
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 16:49   #16
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Question

Quote:
Thanks for your encouragement, it really would be a shame to scrap it, problems aside, its in lovely condition!
Exactly, so there have been a few long posts on this forum on getting problems sorted and We need to percevere a little longer to get it sorted.

Fuel pressure sounds good, so next step maybe blocked exhaust, collapsed cat? Any rattly sounds from underneath the car when running, odd smells?

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 16:57   #17
Master Member

Take it for a 500 mile run, nothing James Bond, just a steady on going run on major roads at steady rpm (perhaps with premium fuel)

Leave it 24 hrs and then do the same again

Old owners, short runs, no mileage all lead to a poor experience

If that doesn't sort it, time to p/e?
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 17:00   #18
T888

Quote:
Exactly, so there have been a few long posts on this forum on getting problems sorted and We need to percevere a little longer to get it sorted.

Fuel pressure sounds good, so next step maybe blocked exhaust, collapsed cat? Any rattly sounds from underneath the car when running, odd smells?
The exhaust is something I've not even considered! I guess I dismissed it due to a lack of fault codes etc.
I guess the miss, which at times is severe will kill a cat with unburnt fuel.

To be fair, there are no rattles, and it sounds sweet. The only smell is unburnt fuel due to the miss. I will get underneeth tomorrow for a closer inspection.

The misfire is more evident under 2000 revs, say when exiting a junction in second and you give it a little throttle, it will miss.
On the open road I can open it up in all gears and it doesn't miss a beat.....
but there are occasions where it will miss badly to a near stall!
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 17:04   #19
T888

Quote:
Originally Posted by 961 View Post
Take it for a 500 mile run, nothing James Bond, just a steady on going run on major roads at steady rpm (perhaps with premium fuel)

Leave it 24 hrs and then do the same again

Old owners, short runs, no mileage all lead to a poor experience

If that doesn't sort it, time to p/e?
I have no doubt that this car has seen a rev range with me that was never seen with the previous owner lol, maybe with time (I have only covered 700miles in it so far) it would loosen up a bit.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 17:04   #20
Rick Barton
Master Member

Blocked injectors? If it was sitting for long periods the fuel could have gummed up the nozzles possibly.