Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery draining, and intermimttent red warning light!

Views : 3837

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2006, 16:59   #11
iamrolling

Default Votage readings

As promised, here are those voltage readings, taken by removing each of the fuses, then taking a reading, with the engine turned off:

Circuit 6 (Central Locking), 8v, fuse 25
Circuit 7 (Radio amp), Grew slowly to 10v, fuse 15
Circuit 8 (Immob), 9v, fuse 10
Circuit 13 (Hazard/headlamp flashers), 10v, fuse 15
Circuit 15 (Courtesy lights, diagnostics, door warning lamps (remote keyless entry, glove compartment lamp) 2.5v, fuse 10
Circuit 16 (Power antenna, power to caravan, accesories), 8v, fuse 30
All other circuits did not show a voltage to my knowledge.

Alternator readings to follow!

The secondary thatcham immobiliser is fitted on circuit 16 I am pretty sure, because it 'blipped' when I removed the fuse. This secondary device is connected to the central locking system, and is how the previous owner locked/unlocked his car.

Please help me interpret these readings! The radio is unmodified Volvo own.
iamrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 23:31   #12
Conehead

red warning light on the dash indicates a charging problem.
just because you have the correct voltage it does not mean you have the correct ampage from the battery.
The fact that the battery is 6 months old and so is the alternator could mean a fresh battery could have disguised the fact that a sub-standard amp rated alternator has been fitted.
The first thing I would try is to disconnect the alternator main feed to see if you have an internal short in the reg pack.
Do a volt drop on the alt circuit - connect multimeter to earth on battery and to body of alternator on Volts, with the engine running and lights on. should read 0v but less than 0.5v is ok
do the same on the positive side - same readings.
any varition move the leads along the circuit until you have the right figures and you have foung the faulty wire.
the next thing if that is ok and the battery still drains is to connect an ammeter to the battery,with the ignition off have an assistant open doors and glove box, boot etc and see if the meter reading changes, about 0.8 A for an internal light.
If this still does not find the drain then disconnect fuses one at a time.
as a general rule it will take about 2-3 days for an internal light to drain a good battery to stop a car starting, and a lot quicker for a significant drain.
also you might want to check that dash warning lights are not appearing on the dash when the car is locked and left for a while.
Conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 23:34   #13
Conehead

sorry forget to say you want to be checking the ampage not the voltage of these circuits. Disconnect battery neg and place ammeter in line between battery and earth lead.
Dont forget to change the leads back if you then check volts
How many fuses have I blown doing that!
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 07:24   #14
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrolling View Post
As promised, here are those voltage readings, taken by removing each of the fuses, then taking a reading, with the engine turned off:

Circuit 6 (Central Locking), 8v, fuse 25
Circuit 7 (Radio amp), Grew slowly to 10v, fuse 15
Circuit 8 (Immob), 9v, fuse 10
Circuit 13 (Hazard/headlamp flashers), 10v, fuse 15
Circuit 15 (Courtesy lights, diagnostics, door warning lamps (remote keyless entry, glove compartment lamp) 2.5v, fuse 10
Circuit 16 (Power antenna, power to caravan, accesories), 8v, fuse 30
All other circuits did not show a voltage to my knowledge.

Alternator readings to follow!

The secondary thatcham immobiliser is fitted on circuit 16 I am pretty sure, because it 'blipped' when I removed the fuse. This secondary device is connected to the central locking system, and is how the previous owner locked/unlocked his car.

Please help me interpret these readings! The radio is unmodified Volvo own.
i will check mine late although my initial reaction is that your voltages are very low..(obviously cos the battery is draining)...
i would definately expect your readings to be closer to 12v...http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq10.htm
cheers
jod

Last edited by Jod T5; Oct 23rd, 2006 at 07:27.
Jod T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 16:38   #15
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

i have checked mine and all the readings are the same, except my voltage is 12.5 showing the battery is at full power....
you are sure the battery is good, whats the amp/hour...
whats your alternator charging with the engine running...
i think you may need to invest in a heavy duty battery....
cheers
jod
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 08:14   #16
iamrolling

Default Battery specs, and alternator output

Battery specs from label: 58 ah, and 570 cold crank amps.

With the engine running (headlights off) the voltage between battery and alternator casing is constant voltage, roughly 12-14V. Apologies for the vagueness, as my crumby analogue multimeter is difficult to read.

Does this shed any light?
iamrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 23:08   #17
Conehead

Realistically you need to load the alternator, lights on and rev to 1500 rpm
but most give the same reading at idle.
Put lots of load on the car and simulate normal conditions for your average drive. You should get 13.5v - 14.5v.
Be warned though if the battery is gone you will get lower.
If it makes this figure with excess load at idle the alternator is fine.
I went out to a tvr once that kept getting flat batteries and no-one could work out why, it was because he had an 800w stereo that he played v. loud whilst sitting in traffic, and the alternator didn't charge until 2000 rpm.
Do you have an install or sat nav, i-pod attached etc, if so put all these on when you check the charge, turn on all the lights wipers, heted seats etc - not hazards as they are on/off . if you get 13.5v charging at the battery terminals then the alt is ok. If you don't use the pos on the alternator and the earth on the battery and see if it's better.
12v is not good enough, especially in winter.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 18:09   #18
NugentS
Me

Also if you have flattened the battery several times then its probably knackered - or at least getting there.

The sort of battery that starts cars does not respond well at all to being flattened - it ruins them.

Sean
NugentS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 07:22   #19
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5 View Post
i think you may need to invest in a heavy duty battery....
i agree with ^^^^^
cheers
jod
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 16:13   #20
Conehead

as far as battery specs go 12.2v is 50 % charged 12.8 is maximum charge
Doesn't matter what the cold crank is see if the battery will turn the engine over with the coils disabled (pref fuel as well) and see if it drops below 9.5 v quickly. this gives a good indication to the condition of the battery.
warning this puts load on the battery so dont do it if its been gassing and stand clear just in case!
570A battery should be heavy duty enough for this car