Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mcgard Wheel Lock Nut Stuck

Views : 1977

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2012, 12:51   #11
JohnsonsVolvo
Trader

It is possible to obtain replacement keys direct from Mcgard by emailing them some pictures of the bolt if you don't have the code number. The email address is;

cs@mcgard.de
JohnsonsVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnsonsVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 14:25   #12
frankie

Johnsons,

That's excellent advice. and surprising for a dealer. Volvo tech advised me to take the car to a dealer, and have locking nuts removed and then replaced with new locking nuts and a new key. Instead, I got a key directly from Mcgard for 18 euros.
frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frankie For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 23:39   #13
froggyted
Master Member

Does anybody know if McGard would supply the bolts as separates with the code provided? One of mine has fallen apart (the outer section comes free from the inner). It seems a lot of money to buy a whole new set when i only need one (best part of £60 i think). I might just do a fix with some araldite, but if the outer fell off unnoticed it would be very difficult to remove the nut, so if i could obtain nuts separately would prefer to do this.
froggyted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to froggyted For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 14:17   #14
frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyted View Post
Does anybody know if McGard would supply the bolts as separates with the code provided? One of mine has fallen apart (the outer section comes free from the inner). It seems a lot of money to buy a whole new set when i only need one (best part of £60 i think). I might just do a fix with some araldite, but if the outer fell off unnoticed it would be very difficult to remove the nut, so if i could obtain nuts separately would prefer to do this.
I have had a quick look at the Mcgard website, and it would appear that the nuts are only available in sets from a Mcgard dealer.

However, it wouldn't hurt to contact Mcgard, say how disappointed you are that this has happened, and ask if they do they supply single nuts.

http://www.mcgard.de/en/home/kundens...-exchange.html
frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frankie For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 15:39   #15
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post
I have had a quick look at the Mcgard website, and it would appear that the nuts are only available in sets from a Mcgard dealer.

However, it wouldn't hurt to contact Mcgard, say how disappointed you are that this has happened, and ask if they do they supply single nuts.

http://www.mcgard.de/en/home/kundens...-exchange.html
Yes, you have a good point there, especially as the car was only just over 3 years old when i noticed this. I'm not sure whether the inner and outer parts were connected by a metal o-ring which may be replaceable, but it's the first time i've ever known a locking wheel nut to fall apart like this, having had them on my last three cars. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 18:49   #16
mikealder
VOC Member

Take the useless crappy locking bolts off the car and put em in the bin they are more trouble than they are worth, replace them with normal wheel bolts unless you fancy changing a wheel when you get a punture in the dark only to find the locking addaptor is damaged or the locking nut damaged, waste of time - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 19:07   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

volvo ditched the McGuard locking bolts well over a year ago , they sell a much stronger italian one now with a wavy pattern around the outer edge and cheaper than the previous ones .
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 19:21   #18
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
Take the useless crappy locking bolts off the car and put em in the bin they are more trouble than they are worth, replace them with normal wheel bolts unless you fancy changing a wheel when you get a punture in the dark only to find the locking addaptor is damaged or the locking nut damaged, waste of time - Mike
They are meant to stop the wheels being stolen of course, but i can see what you mean up to a point. It would be interesting to know just how many wheels actually get stolen off vehicles in the UK in the course of a year. Maybe the risk is too small for the hassle (and expense) involved. However, i'd hate to come back to my car and find that wheel(s) had been stolen: apart from the inconvenience there would probably be damage to the underside of the car. I wonder whether this would be covered by insurance if you ditched oem locking wheelnuts?
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 19:25   #19
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
volvo ditched the McGuard locking bolts well over a year ago , they sell a much stronger italian one now with a wavy pattern around the outer edge and cheaper than the previous ones .
Hi Clan, very interesting. These can presumably be retro-fitted to earlier wheels? Do you have any idea what the main dealer cost is? I was quoted about £58 for a set of replacements. I'm assuming that was for replacement for the oem McGards rather than the new ones but i may be wrong.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 19:46   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyted View Post
They are meant to stop the wheels being stolen of course, but i can see what you mean up to a point. It would be interesting to know just how many wheels actually get stolen off vehicles in the UK in the course of a year. Maybe the risk is too small for the hassle (and expense) involved. However, i'd hate to come back to my car and find that wheel(s) had been stolen: apart from the inconvenience there would probably be damage to the underside of the car. I wonder whether this would be covered by insurance if you ditched oem locking wheelnuts?
I bet people who didnt use locking bolts would be pretty gutted if their wheels/tyres suddenly vanished and a bill of £2000 to replace with new parts .