Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on lpg

Views : 1760

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2011, 11:01   #11
capt jack
VOC Member

On 10,000 miles per year, the best ways to optimise fuel consumption will be to get the oil changed at least once a year, with an interim change at 6 months being not a bad idea, make sure that the air filter is clean, that plugs and leads (and dissy and rotor if fitted) are in good shape, that you keep the tyres correctly inflated, and don't cart about unecessary stuff, roof bars etc.

Oh and possibly change the fuel filter too if this hasn't been done recently.

To be honest, if it's out and out fuel economy or sparkling performance you want then arguably you're in the wrong car. The 2.5 10v 140bhp engine in a V70 is all about long journeys, in safety and comfort, with plenty of carrying capacity.

Yes, there's a bit of oomph for overtaking, and yes, driven featherlight at 50mph all day you'll probably get well into the high 30's mpg.

Any car is always a compromise. Performance usually means sacrificing mpg and loadspace, economy usually means less performance and less space. Quality doesn't come cheap.....and so the trade-offs continue.

Aside from all the tweaks and mods, the biggest single factor is your right boot! keep it light and the car will respond accordingly. Thump it to the floor too much and you'll be paying through the tank.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 21:14   #12
scutle

Thanks Jack for your reply, its the 2.4cc (2435cc) 140BHP petrol what should i be averaging driving easy.

CHEERS PAUL

Last edited by scutle; Nov 21st, 2011 at 23:37.
scutle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 08:12   #13
capt jack
VOC Member

Hi Paul

Well that's the same engine as both our 70's.

My LPG V70 driven mostly for my 55 mile round trip to work, over motorways and country lanes, returns 25-27mpg on gas, low 30's on petrol, but it's an automatic.

Our S70, which is used less, and daily does two 5 mile school runs, plus a longer shopping trip twice weekly, returns high 20's to low 30's. It too is an auto.

We live out in the sticks, and don't ever really have to contend with city traffic jams. If your driving involves a lot of urban motoring the mpg is going to suffer. I'd say that if your motoring is largely urban then low 20's is about the best you can expect.

If on the other hand your car is used only for steady long distance motorway journeys at 65mph, then you could expect well into the high 30's.

If your driving is something of a mix of the two, then the average mpg figure will be somewhere in the middle of that range.

Cheers

Jack
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 16:57   #14
scutle

I car share with 2 other lads so once every 3 weeks I do 150 miles a week half is motorway and then some short runns during the week, my old v70 had the 2.5 audi diesel engine wich was a cracking car until i started to use a petrol station that was selling bad fuel ( wich i found out after all the problems )
scutle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 19:23   #15
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scutle View Post
I car share with 2 other lads so once every 3 weeks I do 150 miles a week half is motorway and then some short runns during the week, my old v70 had the 2.5 audi diesel engine wich was a cracking car until i started to use a petrol station that was selling bad fuel ( wich i found out after all the problems )
If the car is a manual then you should be getting over 32-ish and a bit more, if an auto then at least into the very high twenties maybe 30 mpg I'd have thought.

Cheers

Jack