Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Supercar Uni Project - 8 questions - I need your help!

Views : 2091

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2012, 12:33   #11
toxophilus
Anti-Social Genius

1 - Would you class yourself as a typical Volvo owner? - No

2 - What age group are you (teens/20's/30's etc.)? - 40s

3 - Would you be interested in a Volvo supercar in the future? - Possibly

4 - What would you say is the most recognisable/ individual features of a Volvo? - Solidity of design

5 - Do you agree with Volvo's current design style? or do you prefer older cars? - Not a big fan of current Volvos design wise - late 80s/early 90s models better IMHO

6 - What are the best 3 exterior features of your Volvo? - radiator grille, rear "shoulders"

7 - What are the best 3 interior features of your Volvo? - seats (unmatched for comfort IMHO), positioning of controls, adjustability to fit.

8 - What is your favourite Volvo? - of all time? The old racing 850s. Money no object? Polestar C30

toxophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 13:29   #12
sy666

1 - Would you class yourself as a typical Volvo owner? - What do you define as typical? if its to do with 40+ age, slow and steady etc then no

2 - What age group are you (teens/20's/30's etc.)? 28

3 - Would you be interested in a Volvo supercar in the future? Not really, hot hatch is as far as my interest would go, no car is worth over 100K in my opinion

4 - What would you say is the most recognisable/ individual features of a Volvo? The "face"

5 - Do you agree with Volvo's current design style? or do you prefer older cars? I like the new styling but love my older S40

6 - What are the best 3 exterior features of your Volvo? Marker lights (cos its different), Bulky (feels safe) blends in (avoids unwanted attention)

7 - What are the best 3 interior features of your Volvo? Seats (comfort), Layout (other than the handbrake, built for LHD), room

8 - What is your favourite Volvo? V70 T5
sy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 18:53   #13
john h
VOC Member

1 - Would you class yourself as a typical Volvo owner?
No. I restore/modify/tune old ones

2 - What age group are you (teens/20's/30's etc.)?
40s

3 - Would you be interested in a Volvo supercar in the future?
Depends what you call 'supercar'.
If it's a big, wide, but cramped car, with only seats 2 and minimal luggage capacity, then definitely not.
But practicality is in the Volvo DNA, so maybe you should redefine what a supercar should be?

4 - What would you say is the most recognisable/ individual features of a Volvo?
Nowadays... grille with diagonal slash, wide shoulder line, ugly rear lights

5 - Do you agree with Volvo's current design style? or do you prefer older cars?
Older. The current designs lack individuality

6 - What are the best 3 exterior features of your Volvo?
(164)
rear wheel drive
3-box styling
high quality stainless steel fittings

7 - What are the best 3 interior features of your Volvo?
(164)
Simple, high quality engineering
Robust, mechanical feel to the controls (e.g. you can feel gears moving and engaging through the gearlever)
Superb visibility

8 - What is your favourite Volvo?
164, closely followed by 240

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 19:24   #14
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

from a V70 owner-
I think there are several types of Volvo owner, my type is enjoying fairly luxury motoring on the cheap combined with practicality in the older cars, there's a type with newer cars after luxury and reliability with a good brand, there's a type enjoying the power of some innocent looking cars in the old school R's.
51 (married, grown up kids)
Maybe but I don't buy new so I'll look forward to one of yours in about 10 or 15 years
4 - What would you say is the most recognisable/ individual features of a Volvo?
Typically the boxy design of an estate which arises from the dedication to practicality, I think some of the newer cars have moved away from this which leads to odd V##/'estate' cars with awkward tailgate openings
5 - Do you agree with Volvo's current design style? or do you prefer older cars?
As 4, also the newer cars (even as far back as the V70) have moved to sleeker more mainstream styling which works well at the front with a fairly consistent style, the rear end of many seems to be a weak point without a definate style - more as if they started at the front and ran out of ideas by the time they got to the back
practicaly - Good access to the boot
aesthetically - clean strong lines (pre 2000 V70, I'm not sold on the curvy sides of the post 2000)
build quality
Space
Very well designed seating, adaptable to an 'old' man with a bad back
build quality
8 - What is your favourite Volvo? Really like my V70, quite attracted to the 480 which is a Volvo but sporty rather than estate, in the P1800/480/C30 lineage I don't have time to care for a P1800 and the C30 seems to me to be a bit of a pastiche of the P1800/480

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 20:50   #15
Wiznae
VOC Member

1 - Would you class yourself as a typical Volvo owner - No

2 - What age group are you - Pensioner

3 - Would you be interested in a Volvo supercar in the future - No

4 - What would you say is the most recognisable/ individual features of a Volvo - Front Badge, Estate profile

5 - Do you agree with Volvo's current design style? or do you prefer older cars - Yes I think the new design is great

6 - What are the best 3 exterior features of your Volvo - Sleek, Individual Profile and Front Badge/Grill

7 - What are the best 3 interior features of your Volvo - Safety, Space and Comfort
8 - What is your favourite Volvo - The V70
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 21:19   #16
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecet4 View Post

Probably yes.Perhaps I have found my place in life?

None of the above!

Yes. What are we talking? 500bhp+ ??

Safety

Like old and new. Love the style of XC60

Rear lights. Stance. Large rear view exterior mirrors

Seats. Ambience. Console.

XC60 style wise. 240 reliability wise.

Further note. A Volvo saved my life. Hence loyalty.

Reece
Answers as per post in red.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 21:20   #17
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Yes possibly now but certainly not when I had my first Volvo.

I'm 53

Possibly but by the time I could afford it I'd probably be too old to appreciate it!

The radiator grille and the Volvo emblem and originally day running lights

I tend to prefer the older models - personal favourites include 122s saloon, P1800, 145, 164
245, 340 hatchback 740/940 estate, V40, phase 1 V70

There are some styles I dislike - eg the 262c, 122 estate, XC90, S80, S60 XC60. I never really warmed to the 2, 7 and 9 series saloons either.

I have a phase 1 V70. The shape, particularly from the side, the rear spoiler, the practical tailgate.

The seats, The layout and styling of the instruments and minor controls. The large flat loadspace

Difficult - I think it has to be the phase 1 V70 but with the 122 saloon, the 760 estate and the V40 as worthy also-rans.

Hope this is of some help to you

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 21:51   #18
WABB
Volvo Owner

Some answers noted below - I have owned 18 Volvos from 1982 to date so have experience of a wide range models.
All the best for the project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecet4 View Post
Volvo Owners,

I am currently a third year Transport design Student at Staffordshire University.
I have decided to base my final year project on my love for Volvo. I drive a S40 T4 its a great reliable car and still pretty quick when it needs to be . Since my youth I have been around the brand, my Dad worked at a dealership and would bring brand new t5r's and the like home over night, so this made me very fond of Volvos.

My project has been confirmed by my tutor as a design for a 'Volvo Supercar for the year 2020'.

My main questions to you as volvo owners are below, I would be greatfull if you could answer at least one if not all of the questions (it doesn't even have to be a wordy answer, it will all help my research):

1 - Would you class yourself as a typical Volvo owner? Yes

2 - What age group are you (teens/20's/30's etc.)? 50-55

3 - Would you be interested in a Volvo supercar in the future? Yes

4 - What would you say is the most recognisable/ individual features of a Volvo? Safety features/practicality

5 - Do you agree with Volvo's current design style? or do you prefer older cars? Yes

6 - What are the best 3 exterior features of your Volvo? Active bi xenon lights/?/?

7 - What are the best 3 interior features of your Volvo? Seating/passive safety/heated seats

8 - What is your favourite Volvo? XC60

Thank you for taking time to complete the questionare, any insight into what Volvo owners think about Volvos design or engineering would be a great addition to my research. If I get enough interest I could post updates of my design as I go...

Thanks again

Reece
WABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2012, 20:45   #19
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

1. Definitely not!
2. I'm 20, that's the reason for the above.
3. I'd be interested but would never be able to afford one
4. The most recognisable feature in my eye on a Volvo is the symbol, Iron - Tough as!
5. Personally prefer older cars, not just with Volvo but all manufacturers.
6. I like the unique look the 480 - The pop up lights, the rear quarter view and the glass tailgate.
7. I love the low driving position, the design of the dashboard and the comfort of this 'sports car'.
8. The P80 cars. 850s and X70ies.
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 14:04   #20
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

[QUOTE=Reecet4;1308268
1 - Would you class yourself as a typical Volvo owner? No

2 - What age group are you (teens/20's/30's etc.)? Im 20

3 - Would you be interested in a Volvo supercar in the future? Possibly but it would have to have some of the virtues that make volvos volvos - i.e. very function over form

4 - What would you say is the most recognisable/ individual features of a Volvo? Function over form design

5 - Do you agree with Volvo's current design style? or do you prefer older cars? Completely disinterested in anything newer than an 850, unless its donating its engine to something better

6 - What are the best 3 exterior features of your Volvo? The fact that is so square, but there isnt a single straight line on it (244). The "classic" shape. The enormous function over form girder-bumpers.

7 - What are the best 3 interior features of your Volvo? Comfy seats, simple controls with no stupid gadgets, classic design

8 - What is your favourite Volvo? 244
[/QUOTE]

Cheers, Steve
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
super, supercar, t5r, turbo, volvo