Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 T-5R misfire

Views : 1863

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2023, 13:49   #11
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

A useful link here:~
https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=52252

Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2023, 14:01   #12
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Thanks Bob. I did the jumper on the relay socket right at the start before I changed the pump but not after all the work I've just completed which I should have done to eliminate it as a contributory problem.
PSJVTHEBEST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PSJVTHEBEST For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 12:20   #13
ASt85
Premier Member

Thumbs up Camshaft and/or crankshaft sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJVTHEBEST View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, friends, in the meantime I have done some more research and it's leading me down the path to a possible problem with the camshaft position sensor - seemingly a common thread running through a lot of people's issues. So I have taken it off and apart and uploaded some photos. There is some oil seepage around the seal but inside looks reasonably clean. Tried to get a photo of the 'contact's but I would have to drill out rivets for that and although I have ordered another (Bosch), I don't really want to trash it just yet! Any thoughts on the possibility this might be the cause? Thanks again to all.
Given the symptoms you describe, and the parts you have already replaced, it would seem highly likely that the camshaft sensor is faulty and it is also possible that the crankshaft sensor has issues.

It is a fairly common issue with the Volvo 5 cylinder engines. There are a number of YouTube tutorials showing how to test the sensor(s)
eg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T8UNTA3lsU
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvuzZJqQDf4

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Oct 21st, 2023 at 12:22. Reason: additional link added
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 13:01   #14
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
Given the symptoms you describe, and the parts you have already replaced, it would seem highly likely that the camshaft sensor is faulty and it is also possible that the crankshaft sensor has issues.

It is a fairly common issue with the Volvo 5 cylinder engines. There are a number of YouTube tutorials showing how to test the sensor(s)
eg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T8UNTA3lsU
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvuzZJqQDf4
Thanks for that. I know that the crankshaft sensor may be a possibility too but now having put everything back not the easiest to get to! The camshaft sensor arrived this morning and just finished watching qualifying at COTA so will report back once tested. Cheers again. Love the retriever-I've had two and agree with your sentiment.
The Following User Says Thank You to PSJVTHEBEST For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 15:41   #15
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

Changing the camshaft position sensor has made no difference I am afraid.
I have spark at the plugs and 40psi at the fuel rail.
It tries to fire and dies.
I will check the injector solenoids are receiving power but other than changing the crankshaft position sensor, I am at a loss!
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 17:29   #16
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

Just checked power at the injectors and with the ignition switch on, I'm getting constant c.12v. Shouldn't the injector solenoids open and close with the engine cycle? Not be on continuously? Any help gratefully received!
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 16:09   #17
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

Default Won't start - injector relay problem?

Now also tested the crankshaft position sensor and resistance is in the range quoted on line - between 200 and 500 ohms. Only £12.95 for a Lucas one so ordered to replace anyway. Just need to test relay if I can. Any ideas how to? Thanks.
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 18:39   #18
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

I have got her started after fitting a new crankshaft position sensor - thanks to you guys for the suggestion. But it sounds like I have a misfire. I have got electrical pulses at all injectors after testing with a noid light and spark at the plugs. But if I remove the plugs from the injectors on two of the five cylinders and/or the HT plugs from the same cylinders there is no difference to the engine note / misfire! I have switched spark plugs between cylinders and the same cylinders have the problems.
I have good fuel pressure at the rail and cleaned all the injectors.
Also cleaned the Idle air control valve for good measure.
What with all the other stuff I have done and replaced I am at a loss again - sticky valves maybe? I have had and still have an on/off ticking noise.
Although I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth with regard to getting her started, I would just like her back to her old self!
Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 18:45   #19
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Although you've replaced the dizzy cap and rotor arm it's still possible there's a fault there, especially if you used cheap aftermarket items.

Next thing I'd do (and this is the ideal time of year for this) is to run the car in the dark with the spark plug cover off. It's amazing what sparks you can see flying around in the dark even on a well running engine, this may give you a clue as to where the fault is - if you can sort out the HT such that there are no stray sparks you'll have improved things and hopefully cured the problem?
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 18:50   #20
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

Thanks mate. Dizzy cap and rotor arm are Bosch, I am afraid. Gave myself a few shocks with the HTs mucking around and I did notice a strange arcing going on at the dizzy cap when one plug was dangling with the engine running! Maybe a problem with the leads? I haven't changed them yet (and maybe should do now) because I couldn't find any decent ones on line.
The Following User Says Thank You to PSJVTHEBEST For This Useful Post: