Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Number plate rules?

Views : 7234

Replies : 111

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 14:52   #11
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

I would not use them if they are not legally spaced.

Normal requirements
All vehicles manufactured after 1.1.1973 must display number plates of
reflex-reflecting material, white at the front and yellow at the rear, the
characters must be black. In addition, the characters on number plates
purchased from 1.9.2001 will need to conform to the following specifications.
Character height 79 mm
Character width (except the figure 1 or letter I) 50 mm
Character stroke 14 mm
Space between characters 11 mm
Space between groups 33 mm
Top, bottom and side margins (minimum) 11 mm
Space between vertical lines 19 mm

The Euro-symbol
Motorists may, if they wish, display the Euro symbol and GB national identifier on the number plate. This will dispense
with the need for a separate GB sticker when travelling within the EU.
The symbol must conform to the EC Council Regulation 2411/98 which states the height must be a minimum of 98mm
the width must be a minimum of 40mm, maximum of 50mm. The background must be of retro-reflecting blue with
12 retro-reflecting yellow stars at the top and the distinguishing sign of the Member State (GB) in retro-reflecting white
or yellow.

The Mandatory Typeface
All number plates made after 31.8.2001 must display the mandatory typeface. Number plates made prior to this date
must be substantially the same. An example of the typeface is shown below.
ABCDEFGH
JKLMNOPQ
RSTUVWXYZ.

The British Standard
The British Standard sets out the physical characteristics of the number plate. This includes visibility, strength and
reflectivity. The British Standard also requires each number plate to be permanently and legibly marked with the
following information:-
1. The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d) - many of the pressed ones fall a cropper here.
2. The name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier
3. Name and postcode of the supplying outlet

Offences
It is an offence to alter, rearrange or misrepresent letters or numbers in order to form names or words or in such a way that
makes it difficult to read the registration number. Characters must not be moved from one block to the other e.g. AB51 DVL
must not be displayed as AB5 1DVL or AB 51DVL. Vehicles with illegally displayed number plates may FAIL the MoT
test. The police can also issue fixed penalty fines for illegally displayed number plates. Offenders are liable to a MAXIMUM
FINE of £1,000 and in some cases the mark may be withdrawn.
For vehicles with new or replacement number plates fitted after 31.8.2001, “3-line” number plates are no longer permitted.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf V796.pdf (168.3 KB, 7 views)
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 14:55   #12
Blandy15

When i needed a set for my trailor i was amazed at all the hassle for a number plate so went online and they had a set of plates that is 1mm smaller than legal so anyone can buy them and they look legal to any passing copper
Blandy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 14:55   #13
dr90

Show plates are excatly that for show. Of course quite a lot of the time it enables a number plate maker to supply plates that are not road legal.

If the OP ticked the 'show' option rather than 'road' legal they are in the clear but, obviously, he isn't.

With the frequency and number of plate recognition devices around I'd suggests its a tad risky to run around on 'show' plates. While you may not be stopped for that alone if you do have a problem it'll be hard trying to come over all innocent!!
dr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 14:55   #14
tt82
Forum Support Team

It didn't give the last bit on the direct.gov site. Whilst it's not in the examples shown it has had the charcters moved.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 15:00   #15
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandy15 View Post
When i needed a set for my trailor i was amazed at all the hassle for a number plate so went online and they had a set of plates that is 1mm smaller than legal so anyone can buy them and they look legal to any passing copper
look legal and being legal are two different things.

Not really hassle at all - many of the online ones when I went to my private registration were not following rules - V5 (something to identify the car), and identity of you personally are necessary (they should keep records as well). I think some of it is to go so far as to not even accepting photocopies now but I cannot remember.

Most of this is to protect YOU, how did you think the explosion in cloning was so easy? Because number plates were so easy to get made up with few checks.

Eventually I just got my dealer to make mine way to much hassle with some - plus had a very interesting chat about number plates in general thanks to current regulations...
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 15:01   #16
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
It didn't give the last bit on the direct.gov site. Whilst it's not in the examples shown it has had the charcters moved.
No I know personally I use the DVLA direct - just went on to the personalised registration website.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 15:14   #17
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandy15 View Post
so went online and they had a set of plates that is 1mm smaller than legal so anyone can buy them and they look legal to any passing copper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
look legal and being legal are two different things.
Surely 1mm smaller would be ok and not noticed? Coppers don't carry tape measures..!! Who would notice?

When I have wanted plates, I just went to the local car spares shop with my docs. A lot easier.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 15:20   #18
tt82
Forum Support Team

Well, just checked the website and whlist there isn't a tick box for being legal, they do state what is legal and if you don't comply to that then they won't put their details on to make it legal.

Quote:
So you are looking for new number plates, maybe you have just treated yourself to a private plate for your vehicle or you have had your current plates stolen pr damaged or maybe your car as failed the MOT due to the plates not being to the required UK standard.

Whatever the reason at some point you are going to need to use the services of a number plate designer.

The software systems that most websites offer are often fairly user-friendly and thus quite simple to use. Basically there is a field for you to type in the registration number you require and the software will display it as it appears. If you require UK standard plates then most number plate designers will automatically select the standard font required by law (Charles Wright Font) and space the lettering to the current legislation.

However, there are other aspects of designing your plates that you need to be aware of. Firstly, what size do you require?

It seems a simple question and quite obvious in most cases but not all UK cars have the same size number plates, especially rear number plates. The majority of UK cars will require 520 x 111 mm sized front and rear plates but if you owned a Rover, Jaguar, or Aston Martin for example, you will find that the rear plates are of a different sizer and/or design to the other car manufacturers. So its good practice before you order to take a quick measurement of your plates to get a rough guide.

Now you know what size you require and you have typed in your registration number in the required text field, what else is required?

Well basically that is it. You can if you wish add a border line and also you can add an image to the side of your plate. However, to be completely legal, the only images you can display are either the European Union flag or National flags. Please be aware that technically you can only display a EU flag within the law
however, there is a derogation from that rule whereby you can display a National flag (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland).

There is one more item required to make your plates perfectly legal and that is the supplier must include their name and postcode somewhere on plates along with the BS number. With most Number Plate designers this information will be included on your plate automatically. However, if you deter from
any of the above, for example choose an image other than a flag, some text other than the supplier details or alter font or spacing of the number plate lettering, then the supplier will refrain from including their details and will only supply such plates as show plates.

If you were to display a number plate on a vehicle that did not conform to the current legislation and use on a UK public road, you could then be found liable with the Police and receive a fixed penalty or your vehicle may fail its annual MOT. So, be aware of what you can and can’t do when designing your number plates.
Intrestingly I had a bit of writing put on the bottom of the plate (non offensive), where the dealer name is on my current plate, would this make it illegal? I ordered a second set for my dad's car at the same time and he wanted writing on the bottom of his, but everything else is ok and didn't get the post code either.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 15:21   #19
Blandy15

My problem is being lease car i do not have V5
Blandy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 15:22   #20
volvorocks
Rodney

I suppose you would just contact them Blandy, or ask them to get them?
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post: