Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cold start idle problem

Views : 1442

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2012, 07:35   #11
mjk164
VOC Member

It depends on the water temperature. As a rough guide, between the two ECT terminals there should be the following resistance readings:-
0deg C 5500ohms
20 C 2500 ohms
60 C 600 ohms
100C 180 ohms
If you get something like these then the ECT sensor is OK.
On my 960 with very similar cold start symptoms, it also threw up codes saying the ECT was wrong but it has no means of showing if there is a lack of 2 or 3 volts at the IAC valve. When I checked there was nothing wrong with the ECT. The radio supression relay supplying volts to the IAC and injectors is a known regular failure area as it has a high rating and easily semi-fails when having to pass high current through it.
A thought; I think the two ECTs are the same so, if you swap them round and the temp gauge is OK and the car runs the same from cold....then the problem is with the IAC.
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:12   #12
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I've just ordered a gauge sensor for my 940 and it's different from the ECU one. I hoped it was the same as I have a spare one of those, no such luck though.

Interesting to read about the Suppression relay. I know they can affect starting if the start playing up but didn't know about them controlling the IAC valve. I have a strange idle problem I have never got to the bottom of where after a cold start the idle speed is too fast, doesn't do it if you leave the car idling for a while before driving it. I suspected the Lambda sensor but might check the supression relay to see what the voltage is.

The relay is on the battery side of the car, turbo and non turbo are different, and is fitted on the inner wing just in front of the strut tower.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:53   #13
Tankbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk164 View Post
It depends on the water temperature. As a rough guide, between the two ECT terminals there should be the following resistance readings:-
0deg C 5500ohms
20 C 2500 ohms
60 C 600 ohms
100C 180 ohms
If you get something like these then the ECT sensor is OK.
On my 960 with very similar cold start symptoms, it also threw up codes saying the ECT was wrong but it has no means of showing if there is a lack of 2 or 3 volts at the IAC valve. When I checked there was nothing wrong with the ECT. The radio supression relay supplying volts to the IAC and injectors is a known regular failure area as it has a high rating and easily semi-fails when having to pass high current through it.
A thought; I think the two ECTs are the same so, if you swap them round and the temp gauge is OK and the car runs the same from cold....then the problem is with the IAC.
Thanks.....will be doing some more diagnostics today.
Tankbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:55   #14
Tankbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
I've just ordered a gauge sensor for my 940 and it's different from the ECU one. I hoped it was the same as I have a spare one of those, no such luck though.

Interesting to read about the Suppression relay. I know they can affect starting if the start playing up but didn't know about them controlling the IAC valve. I have a strange idle problem I have never got to the bottom of where after a cold start the idle speed is too fast, doesn't do it if you leave the car idling for a while before driving it. I suspected the Lambda sensor but might check the supression relay to see what the voltage is.

The relay is on the battery side of the car, turbo and non turbo are different, and is fitted on the inner wing just in front of the strut tower.
....So, the 2 sensors are different? Is that easy to note with them removed.....do the look much different?
Old May 4th, 2012, 19:43   #15
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankbuster View Post
....So, the 2 sensors are different? Is that easy to note with them removed.....do the look much different?
The shape of the electrical connectors are different.

This one is the one thats connected to the ECU.
Attached Images
File Type: png temp_sensor.png (156.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Steve940estate; May 4th, 2012 at 19:49.
Old May 4th, 2012, 19:52   #16
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

This one is for the temperature gauge and is fitted nearest to the front of the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: gif TempSensor-Gauge.gif (73.1 KB, 4 views)
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:10   #17
Tankbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
This one is for the temperature gauge and is fitted nearest to the front of the engine.
Thanks for info. Don't suppose you have a resistance chart for the gauge sensor? Have some info.....•Cars from 94 on: 75 ohms to get a 90C reading at the gauge (range: 780 ohms at 20C/68F to 75 ohms at 90C/194F)

Last edited by Tankbuster; May 6th, 2012 at 11:58. Reason: update
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 13:53   #18
Tankbuster

Hi. Just thought i'd post the solution. Faulty Engine Coolant Temperature(ECT) Sensor (the one that interfaces with the Engince Control Unit (ECU))

This is the sensor that screws into the cylinder head and is the one closest to the rear of the engine.
The one nearer the middle of the engine is the sensor that 'talks' to the temperature gauge.

The 2 sensors are not the same so be sure to order the correct one. The one for the temperature gauge has round electrical connection pins, whereas the ECT ECU interface has small flat electrical connection pins.

I can uderstand why some may get frustrated trying to diagnose related faults as there's a fair bit of checking/cleaning to do along the way.
Don't forget the basics, be systematic....you will find the fault!