Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil pressure drop!

Views : 1714

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 17:01   #11
brens-s80
VOC Member

Thumbs up best of luck dez

hi dez,

best of luck with the diesel flush I 'am doing mine next weekend as per Mike's previous advice to me and then switching to Turbo diesel oil. keeps us posted as to your progress.

regards

brendan
brens-s80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 09:09   #12
Dez

Morning..

The Car is dead. Or should i say the engine.

Heres the low down. I flushed the engine with diesel and replaced with new oil and filter. I even took the rocker cover off so that i could check the cam out and replace the rocker cover gasket, all cool, oil spraying all over the place. started the car up, the sensor advises good oil pressure so i take the car for a spin.

4 miles down the M$ i lose power, the oil pressure gauge drops, all the lights and i mean ALL the lights on the dash come on, the radio custs off and the engine starts making a REALLY REALLY loud clacking noise like someone is shooting it with an aircraft gun. so i pull over.

On the hard shoulder i check oil level and look for leaks, nothing, the oil level is fine. oil filter is still there.

Take the oil cap off and a smal volcano of white smoke belches out.

Hmmm?

I call the AA out who sent a van initially and told me the " big end or main bearing are gone" ( gone where? i didn't remove them?) and that apart from a major engine rebuild it would be advisable replacing the engine... ( oookkaaay)

He tell me then he can't tow it with what he's got as it's an auto so he calls base and asks for a flat bed truck. It took another 3 hours for him to arrive, pick me up and dump me in my driveway.

he did give me his number however as he offered to lend me his hydraulic engine hoist as and when i need it. top man.

So...car dead.

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 09:54   #13
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Sorry to hear of your loss - sadly I expected it with regards the state of the gunge. It sounds as if an oil way blocked from some of the residual gunge causing the terminal problem. You now face the task offinding a good engine - a clean engine is usually a good engine if you no nothing about them.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 10:39   #14
Dez

yeah. i killed it. i didn't want to honest your honour!

Anyone have a spare engine they could sell me?
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 10:48   #15
brens-s80
VOC Member

Unhappy sorry to hear

Hi Dez,

sorry to hear your sad sad story. Things were going so well for you. Hopefully
you will get lucky in getting that replacement engine and getting back on the road.

take care

brendan
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 10:51   #16
Dez

Cheers Brendan and indeed cheers to everyone who has helped me during my short stay here! i'll not go away but obviously can't do much without the car being on the road!
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 15:44   #17
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Shame about the demise of your engine!

I can't help wondering - if I were in a similar situation, whether I'd try looking for a whole car rather than just an engine. Having seen later cars than yours change hands for around £200, and bearing in mind it can't be worth hauling a replacement engine into a car without changing things like the water pump, timing belt, front and rear crank seals and other miscellaneous 'fiddly bits' which are so much more easily done with the engine out, I'd call it a 'no brainer'.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 16:57   #18
Dez

I've sorted myself out with new engine today! wohoo!! The thing is, i could go down that route of getting another car but the reason i like/drive older cars is due to the fun i have fixing them up as opposed to having "no money to buy that 04 plate i've got my eye on". I prefer the hassle of changing belts, pumps and engines to changing insurance, tax and log books anyday! much more satisfying!
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 17:44   #19
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Well good luck with it anyway - it was just recalling you having posted that you had the demon rust below the tailgate as well, made me think I might consider it a good time to swap.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 21:20   #20
brens-s80
VOC Member

Talking nice one dez

hi dez,

great to hear you got sorted with a new engine , that was quick. Now you'll have all the fun of replacing it. Just an idea but what about putting a web blog or web page togeter so we can track your progress ?.

regards and the best of luck

brendan