Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hi Newbie(kind of) with a new car, whatdda think?

Views : 1945

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2011, 13:58   #11
Chrali

Default bump......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrali View Post
..the cambelt was changed in 2006 approx 30k miles ago, would you tempt fate, or leave on the drive until I had the funds to pay for changing it?
Bump .....
Chrali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 14:11   #12
Paddy Wagon

What is your mechanical skill level? Honestly, the belts on those engines are so easy to change, the belt should cost no more than 15 quid (the belt for my 2.0 740, basically the same engine, cost 11 euro) you dont need any special tools and even for a novice it should take no more than an hour to do the job., my one takes about 20 minutes to do. If your not up to doing it yourself, you dont need a Volvo dealer to do the job, any half decent independent garage can do it, it really is a very straight forward job. If you fancy having a go yourself, let me know and I'll do you a step by step photo guide of how to do it.
Paddy Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 14:42   #13
Chrali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy Wagon View Post
What is your mechanical skill level? Honestly, the belts on those engines are so easy to change, the belt should cost no more than 15 quid (the belt for my 2.0 740, basically the same engine, cost 11 euro) you dont need any special tools and even for a novice it should take no more than an hour to do the job., my one takes about 20 minutes to do. If your not up to doing it yourself, you dont need a Volvo dealer to do the job, any half decent independent garage can do it, it really is a very straight forward job. If you fancy having a go yourself, let me know and I'll do you a step by step photo guide of how to do it.
Well usually fairly adept I rarely use a garage. With 2 exceptions....changed headgasket on an xj6, couldnt get the timing right, and attempted to change the timing belt on ford granda 2.0, couldnt get the timing right.

I think we can all see a pattern

I may take you up on your kind offer on the guide with some reseach on my part to see if I'm happy to do this (my prior attempts were 23 years ago), but fundamentally would you consider using the car with the belt ok on miles, but 5 years old?
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 17:55   #14
Paddy Wagon

Your fairly borderline, 5 years is about as far as I would push it regardless of milage. Volvo recomend 50,000 miles replacement but that is based upon average milage, lower than average milage belts tend to break sooner due to longer periods of inactivity, and seeing as yours has lower than average milage since the last belt change (6,000 miles per year) I would be inclined to change it sooner rather than later. However, having said that, the B230 is a "safe" engine, meaning if the timing belt does break, it wont damage the engine, all that will happen is the engine will cut out, so you can "tempt fate" in as much as if the worst happens, you wont have to worry about a wrecked engine, but I would suggest changing it if only to save you from getting stuck in the middle of the night, miles from home, ****ing down with rain, the wife nagging, the kids screaming, no credit on your mobile to call the AA,,,,, get the picture,,,,,, lol.
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 19:24   #15
ian2000t
Premier Member

Quote:
However, having said that, the B230 is a "safe" engine, meaning if the timing belt does break, it wont damage the engine, all that will happen is the engine will cut out, so you can "tempt fate" in as much as if the worst happens, you wont have to worry about a wrecked engine,
Careful - I'm sure I read that some B230's are interference and some aren't.

I'm sure I read that a B230E high compression is an interference engine. Could be wrong though. Looks a simple job so I'd probably do it as you've sent that much on the far.

My 740 (B230E) only cost me £155 so I didn't bother - thinking if it breaks, it's a free ride home on an RAC truck (save petrol) and I'll weigh it in for £150 anyway!

1990 Volvo 760 GLE D24TIC ZF22 - 16psi, more fuel, Monark 293 nozzles, 40mm lower, Bilstein TCs, 24/19 ARBs, full Polybushed front, H&R spacers, 17" Titans. Running Veg oil/petrol mix.
Past: 1988 Volvo 740 B230E M46, 1991 Volvo 940 B230FB M47
ian2000t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 20:05   #16
Chrali

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian2000t View Post
if it breaks, it's a free ride home on an RAC truck (save petrol)
Spooky, i was saying to the wife i hope it breaks down for that reason, as its a 300 mile drive

Ok, only insuring it for a day, so pray, get it hope and see whats what. If it makes it home and feels good, I get the belt changed.

Cheers guys
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 21:20   #17
Chrali

Talking

Quote:
the B230 is a "safe" engine, meaning if the timing belt does break, it wont damage the engine, all that will happen is the engine will cut out, so you can "tempt fate" in as much as if the worst happens, you wont have to worry about a wrecked engine, but I would suggest changing it if only to save you from getting stuck in the middle of the night, miles from home, ****ing down with rain, the wife nagging, the kids screaming, no credit on your mobile to call the AA,,,,, get the picture,,,,,, lol.
Its the potential damage I care about, and if there's none for the engine type, then happy days, that's what the AA are for

Ps the wife nagging, kids screaming and no credit on your phone can still be a nice relaxing time, AS LONG as they ain't with you whilst you wait hours for recovery. Sit back in a comfy seat, and chill
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 23:38   #18
Paddy Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian2000t View Post
Careful - I'm sure I read that some B230's are interference and some aren't.

I'm sure I read that a B230E high compression is an interference engine. Could be wrong though. Looks a simple job so I'd probably do it as you've sent that much on the far.

My 740 (B230E) only cost me £155 so I didn't bother - thinking if it breaks, it's a free ride home on an RAC truck (save petrol) and I'll weigh it in for £150 anyway!
It's possible, and I'm quite happy to be corrected if that is the case, possibly some export models fitted with domed pistons maybe, but to date I haven't encountered a B230 engine that did break. I used to work for the AA as a Patrolman when I left the main dealers and often fitted new timing belts to B230's at the side of the road without any problems. I'll have a hunt thru the web to see if there are unsafe B230's, it might be handy to compile a list of safe/unsafe Volvo engines for reference purposes.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 18:50   #19
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Celebrations are lpt meaning the b230fk. And Its a non interference. A belt snap is only a minor inconvenience. Changing the belt is easy though. Expect 3 hours max labour at a garage. Or an afternoon diy. Gates belts are good enough. 9371xs is the gates part number for our engines.

'09 XC70 SE - 2" lift, D5 225bhp, poverty spec
'18 V60 Twin Engine R Design - 290bhp

monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 00:49   #20
Chrali

Thats what my research found too .... how did we survive without the net!!!!

I picked the car up yesterday....naturally it let me down and invoked the attendance of the AA.

I'll fill in tomorrow...so tired after over 12 hours of driving over the 700 miles it took to go get and bring it home.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chrali For This Useful Post: