Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

We Want to Modernise!

Views : 2129

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2006, 21:01   #11
IC
S60R/V70R

Thumbs up Thanks for the ideas so far

Thanks for all the ideas so far everybody, keep the ideas coming!

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 18:25   #12
Les, slight limp

An annual north vs south drag day would be a great idea, the people from the midlands would have to be flexible so as to make the 2 teams equal size on the day, pick a track thats easily reached by everyone, a good mix of cars per team would be great as well, of course the team that got grandad would be given bonus points as compensation (foggy paid me to say that, 5p i couldn't resist).
Les, slight limp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:54   #13
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default Performance section suggestions

I really like the idea of driver training - we all improve our cars, but how many of us improve ourselves to match?

Of course everyone in the section (and the club and the universe...) is a superb driver, but I'm sure we could all benefit from awareness improvement, if only to spot those little yellow boxes and the cars with blue lights on top.

"On the edge" car control improvement would also be a benefit to stop us running our expensively-improved cars off the road or into an immovable object.

And of course we have in the club someone who does just that to the gentlemen in blue - step forward Bob Isaac...
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 10:53   #14
Rbphot

Thumbs up

I think some sort of driver training advice would be good, as simon says we upgrade our cars but our skill doesnt improve.

May be we could book one of those airfields and ask the local police force traffic driving instructors to come along and to give advice as most forces use T5's, would be good PR for them and certainly good for some of the drivers on this site.

Could be a site with skid pan and high speed circuit and multiple driving areas.
I used to work a Millbrook proving ground and they used to host lots of events.

http://www.millbrook.co.uk/

Maybe we could get Volvo UK involved and test drive some of the new performance models as well.

Ray

Last edited by Rbphot; Jun 14th, 2006 at 10:57.
Rbphot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 09:40   #15
addyman

Talking

Yes agree, some driver training is always a laugh, done a few days from full on track days to skid pan and rally driving.

The best ones for me were the skid pan and rally driving as they really taught you how to handle a car once it gets out of shape. Recovering from these scenarios is very important rather than driving at the quickest speed. Really taught me about car control.

So i vote for skid pan and rally driving. (rally driving gets you to learn those long drifts through corners........ )
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 16:02   #16
TJMurphy
VOC Member

Just got an email from Pistonheads last week. They're talking about some sort of group rate at TRL's place in Crowthorne. It's actually a company called Ultimate Car Control (www.ultimatecarcontrol.com) which is led by Rob Gravett who used to race touring cars and is now doing advance driver training / fleet training. I don't know anything about this guy's company but the location looked interesting as they seem to have a fair amount of roadway (look at it in Google Earth to see what I mean) rather than just an airstrip / skid pan. How it would compare to a race track I can't really say (less run off I guess for one thing!).

Tony
TJMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:38   #17
markas
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Rob gravett now theres a nice man

When we used to have the old Volvo850 supports club they used to arrange meets and i had him drive me around donnington in the rain in a catrem near s%^T myself as you can guess. Unfortunately the other car that day was an old cavalier yuk!

But as the Volvspeed and swede' forums which i had have merchandise it would be good if we have some too.

mark
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 20:21   #18
robmayer

To back up Rooster it would be great to do some accurately timed 1/4 mile sprints!
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 08:28   #19
TJMurphy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMurphy
Just got an email from Pistonheads last week. They're talking about some sort of group rate at TRL's place in Crowthorne. It's actually a company called Ultimate Car Control (www.ultimatecarcontrol.com) which is led by Rob Gravett who used to race touring cars and is now doing advance driver training / fleet training. I don't know anything about this guy's company but the location looked interesting as they seem to have a fair amount of roadway (look at it in Google Earth to see what I mean) rather than just an airstrip / skid pan. How it would compare to a race track I can't really say (less run off I guess for one thing!).

Tony
Forgot about this one! I'm going on a one day course with this company on 1 September so I'll let you know how it works out. It'll be with their cars rather than my own though (someone else is paying !)

Tony
TJMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 20:43   #20
JUDGENINJA

Idea 1 If owning a performance car makes you competative, then how about a Go-kart championship arround the country. It usually costs you you petrol to get there and £20-£40 for each event.... then you RWD racers can try to prove that you can control your cars sliding round a hairpin, whilst all us FWD owners hit the brakes as soon as the front end starts sliding, thus finding all of us in the crash barriers.... and in all the chaos one true Stig will emerge victoriously.......

Idea 2 Volvo meets at race tracks where Volvos are racing. We could actively promote the various clubs at each event... Does Don post up his events for us to go along to..... does anyone else race their Volvo..?.. Possibly a new Forum sub-section for any racers to post up their yearly time table of events...... Also - I'm always around for pit work if anyone is at Ty-Croes(anglesey Track)........

Just some Ideas......

Other than that...
Track days....yes please....but not too many in the mext 12months for me..