Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 DRIVe on Snow

Views : 19879

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2010, 18:17   #11
Rockhopper
XC90 Exec

We have a MY00 Forester and agree that the AWD in that is awesome in snow/mud/gravel, you name it, it just goes through it. A bit agricultural, but brilliant (and a barnstormer in STurbo guise). Miles better than my XC90 and instills much more confidence in the snow. Nice to be able to switch between them though and have the choice of both!

Agree too that tyres make all the difference - got Vredesteins on the Forester and can't fault them (had these on last Saab too and v pleased). XC90 came clad in Kumhos which aren't bad but would like to change...

Last edited by Rockhopper; Jan 7th, 2010 at 18:19.
Rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 18:25   #12
244T
VOC Member

Default 2WD xc???

Sounds like a a silly idea!!!!

What was Volvo thinking??? cost cutting to the extream!!!!

'90 740 GLT: Standard car
'80 240 DL: Lots of bits and bobs inc turbo intercooler etc etc
244T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 18:34   #13
irishcarfan
Master Member

Wonder if it would be better on narrower tires for more traction? Probably a little only - it's a heavy car though isn't it? Wonder if that's playing a part.

As for fwd only, tis a sign of the times. Sure next week hopefully you'll be back to normal weather and then you won't notice the fwd only and can reap the benefits at the fuel pumps.

Wish Volvo would get some decent C02 performing DrivE automatics..
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 19:02   #14
KiwiRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Just been out in my XC60 D5 AWD and can say that it is excellent when the road is slushy or fresh snow.

It is CR^P on packed snow giving no grip at all and the hills round my way defeated it completely. we have had 9" of snow that has become compacted, but other 4x4s, including my wife's Subaru Forester have not had issues

It may be better with decent winter tyres, but the supplied tyres are hopeless.

All in all, I was very disappointed
If you haven't got traction even with AWD you won't get anywhere, I had a Renault Kangoo 4x4, on summer tyres in the snow it was terrible, our Golf on winter tyres would get up our access road whereas the Kangoo couldn't. On winter tyres the Kangoo was nearly unstoppable.
KiwiRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 19:06   #15
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRob View Post
If you haven't got traction even with AWD you won't get anywhere, I had a Renault Kangoo 4x4, on summer tyres in the snow it was terrible, our Golf on winter tyres would get up our access road whereas the Kangoo couldn't. On winter tyres the Kangoo was nearly unstoppable.
Totally agree, unfortunately I don't have a set of winter tyres and I would have thought that the supplied tyres (I have only done 3k on them) would have been more suited to a 4x4 than a standard road car.

I guess I will change them for all-season tyres when they need renewing - or depending on the costs for winter tyres I may get a set of them.

Any suggestions on suitable tyres?
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 20:22   #16
simonpinkney

My brother suggests Continental Wranglers.... he's a freak who pays attention to stuff like this... sad I know but also has it's uses at times. ;-)

All weather tyres and having looked at the website it's a good compromise for grip in dry, wet and snow.
simonpinkney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 20:53   #17
ColinH

Have a set of Wranglers on spare wheels which have been fitted for a month or so now - running them as winter tyres instead of the Pirelli's.
The grip is outstanding in the packed snow and had no trouble following our Grand Cherokee across a field this morning.
I've always been used to running two sets of wheel/tyre combinations for summer/winter use, it appearers to be an 'old fashioned' idea which has died out in recent years.

Colin
ColinH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ColinH For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 21:01   #18
simonpinkney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinH View Post
Have a set of Wranglers on spare wheels which have been fitted for a month or so now - running them as winter tyres instead of the Pirelli's.
The grip is outstanding in the packed snow and had no trouble following our Grand Cherokee across a field this morning.
I've always been used to running two sets of wheel/tyre combinations for summer/winter use, it appearers to be an 'old fashioned' idea which has died out in recent years.

Colin
Maybe an idea worth considering despite the added expense. Do you have seperate alloys or do you just have the tyres swapped everytime??
simonpinkney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 21:06   #19
DavidG

Continental Cross-Contact 235-65-17 as delivered with the car
No problems at all on snow
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 09:11   #20
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Continental Cross-Contact 235-65-17 as delivered with the car