Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc60 oil reset help!

Views : 1445

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2021, 07:36   #11
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark1429 View Post
What do you think the real issue is here then, to use around 5 litres to do just under £2k is excessive. Is it better to get rid of the car.
This is confusing! Didn't you say 0.5L in your opening post... How many times have you actually had to top up?

It's possible that insufficient oil was put in during the change (should be 5.2L), but far more likely in my opinion that your engine has the not uncommon issue of oil burning due to poor piston/ring oil control. I have to stick 0.5L in mine a few times between services.

As HDAV already said, you cannot fit a physical dipstick to this engine. I've learnt to trust the electronic dipstick display (even though it can only toggle between min and max with additional words) and the warning messages.

You can buy oil that meets the Volvo spec quite cheaply on eBay.
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 11:06   #12
dark1429

The gauge was showing just below minimum and the system was saying add 0.5 litres. Went back to ATS this morning, they topped just under 2 litres and when I checked the gauge it was a bar below full. Have driven approx 15 min now and approx 12 miles, will let engine coool and recheck. If it only needed half a litre why is gauge showing almost empty?
Have been thinking of adding some additives like Forte or Lucas Oil Stabiliser not sure if they would work?
dark1429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 11:33   #13
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
The gauge was showing just below minimum and the system was saying add 0.5 litres. Went back to ATS this morning, they topped just under 2 litres and when I checked the gauge it was a bar below full. Have driven approx 15 min now and approx 12 miles, will let engine coool and recheck. If it only needed half a litre why is gauge showing almost empty?
Have been thinking of adding some additives like Forte or Lucas Oil Stabiliser not sure if they would work?
2L was far too much to add! Why in earth did they do that??? If the car had needed more than 0.5L then there is a further message to tell you to add 1L.

12 miles is not enough distance for the gauge to have fully updated... like I said, it's 30km minimum (which is about 18 miles).

The gauge on mine only ever shows min or max (with the additional words OK, low or full) . I'm not sure you're looking at it properly?

Personally I would avoid putting in any oil additives.
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 11:54   #14
dark1429

Thanks, will check level after it has stood for 2 hrs just worried I didn't drive it enough only approx 11 miles. Have been trying to upload a photo of the gauge but it won't let me. Basically you know the oil gauge has little markings along the levels, it was below minimum the last bar I believe each bar represents 1 litre if not mistaken, so I thought there was less than a litre in the engine. When they topped 2 litres it went to last bar nearly to the full. Hope that makes sense?
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 13:34   #15
Zebster
Upstanding Member

On this page are photos I took a couple of years ago of my electronic dipstick before (post#22) and after (post#25) adding only 0.25L... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=293927&page=3
Mine only displays all or nothing, never any reading in between.

Don't forget this isn't representing the sump being empty or full, merely the range between the min and max on a normal physical dipstick.

Last edited by Zebster; Jan 11th, 2021 at 13:41.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zebster For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 14:28   #16
dark1429

Can't see the photos but I get what you mean. Anyways left car 2 hrs and gauge showing by last bar almost full Just a thought, would the system ask for half a litre if it is not quite full so basically needs half a litre to be full? Asmy impression was it was asking half a litre as it was nearly empty?
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 14:50   #17
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Can't see the photos but I get what you mean. Anyways left car 2 hrs and gauge showing by last bar almost full Just a thought, would the system ask for half a litre if it is not quite full so basically needs half a litre to be full? Asmy impression was it was asking half a litre as it was nearly empty?
No. Mine shows minimum for a long time before I get the 'add 0.5L' message.

The gauge has 4 segments. The outside (red) segments don't normally light up.

Can you see this picture?

Last edited by Zebster; Jan 11th, 2021 at 14:54.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zebster For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 15:04   #18
dark1429

I can't see the photos for some reason but my dash is not the digital model where you can change modes it's the old fashioned one with analogue display not the digital one if that makes sense. Just not sure what add 0.5 litres means, does it mean it's nearly empty or is it 0.5 litre for it to be optimum level ie full?
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 15:11   #19
piotrek

This thread will probably be useful here, from post #7

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301606
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to piotrek For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 16:42   #20
dark1429

Seems to be a common problem, thanks for the help everyone