Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Blue Light Aware

Views : 6436

Replies : 86

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2014, 20:50   #11
Bill_56
Premier Member

From
http://www.theaa.com/newsroom/news-2...-vehicles.html

Allegedly quoting Sussex Police Advice, and I have no reason to doubt it (my red text).

Quote:
Emergency vehicle drivers are specially trained and have exemptions to the law - you must not go through red lights or speed to allow them to pass.
There is of course a discretion in pulling two wheels over the stop line to get close to the kerb without entering the junction, but actually 'going through' a red light - no thanks.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 20:58   #12
CDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
From
http://www.theaa.com/newsroom/news-2...-vehicles.html

Allegedly quoting Sussex Police Advice, and I have no reason to doubt it (my red text).

There is of course a discretion in pulling two wheels over the stop line to get close to the kerb without entering the junction, but actually 'going through' a red light - no thanks.
I wouldn't hesitate to cross the white line if doing so safely would allow the blue lights to pass. Having been behind the wheel of one of those flashing, shrieking things for 18 years I got used to the multivariate responses the lights and sirens generated in others, and the brilliant way in whcih some got out of the way was awesome...equally when you're trying to get to something life and death - which is sadly a daily occurrence - it was so frustrating when someone wouldn't give the 3 feet required to get to the injured child / house fire / screaming victim just 30 seconds earlier.

I agree that the Old Bill should say 'Don't speed, don't cross red lights' because that stops the stupid people thinking they can do it willy nilly, but shuffling forward across the white line but not into the flow of traffic will never be seen as a problem.
CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CDJ For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 21:01   #13
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to cross the white line if doing so safely would allow the blue lights to pass. Having been behind the wheel of one of those flashing, shrieking things for 18 years I got used to the multivariate responses the lights and sirens generated in others, and the brilliant way in whcih some got out of the way was awesome...equally when you're trying to get to something life and death - which is sadly a daily occurrence - it was so frustrating when someone wouldn't give the 3 feet required to get to the injured child / house fire / screaming victim just 30 seconds earlier.

I agree that the Old Bill should say 'Don't speed, don't cross red lights' because that stops the stupid people thinking they can do it willy nilly, but shuffling forward across the white line but not into the flow of traffic will never be seen as a problem.
I think, actually, we are in complete agreement then.
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 21:01   #14
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Hmm, it opens YouTube, but just seems to present my own recent history... nothing relevant to this topic.
I assume you have the YouTube App installed?

It opens inside this app on my iPad
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 21:05   #15
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I assume you have the YouTube App installed?

It opens inside this app on my iPad
Thanks, I'll come back to this another time rather than commandeer the thread. And anyway, I'd promised myself to actually watch telly tonight, and leave the iPad alone.
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 21:07   #16
CDJ

Quote:
I think, actually, we are in complete agreement then.
Wahoo. Another person who agrees with me. That makes two of us now.
The Following User Says Thank You to CDJ For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 21:49   #17
Father Ted
Master Member

I spend a long time on the road and like to hope I have reasonable judgement.

If I'm at a junction and there is an emergency vehicle coming from behind I will assess the situation and act accordingly.
Usually that means that I will move forward and over to one side. Occassionally I will edge forward and that will create a gap that the emergency vehicle can come through to go around me. Once or twice I have gone right across...and been thanked by the driver of the emergency vehicle. On these occasions I've effectively used the the sirens of the emergency vehicle to "cover" me crossing the junction, ie, wait for the other traffic to respond to the sirens and stop, before I move forward.
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 22:08   #18
CDJ

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Ted View Post
I spend a long time on the road and like to hope I have reasonable judgement.

If I'm at a junction and there is an emergency vehicle coming from behind I will assess the situation and act accordingly.
Usually that means that I will move forward and over to one side. Occassionally I will edge forward and that will create a gap that the emergency vehicle can come through to go around me. Once or twice I have gone right across...and been thanked by the driver of the emergency vehicle. On these occasions I've effectively used the the sirens of the emergency vehicle to "cover" me crossing the junction, ie, wait for the other traffic to respond to the sirens and stop, before I move forward.
Yep; you'd have got a big arm wave from me if you'd done that...unless I was having to negotiate the inevitable white van driver who hadn't noticed the rest of the world reacting to the 120 db and majestic mobile Christmas Tree.

I especially enjoyed the following response..."Sorry; I thought you were flashing me out of the side road" (response m/cycle with flashing blues and flashing headlight written off by middle aged female Volvo driver...).

Hated it when people trashed their alloys ramming their way up a high kerb...hated it when people stopped dead...hated it when people swerved violently at the last minute. Especially hated the peeps that stopped their cars in lane 2 or lane 3 of the motorway/dual carriageway when I just needed them to get out of the way. It became easier to NOT use the EWE occasionally cos I could get past the numpties before they reacted weirdly!
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 22:30   #19
rich1068
I've Been Banned

I always move. Wherever the blue lights need me to move. End of. And if that means risking points or a fine then so be it. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I find any other view to be quite astonishing.
rich1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 09:05   #20
tt82
Forum Support Team

As I have a DashCam, I'm prepared to take the fine and argue it in court. I can prove what I did, why I did it and that it was done safely.

Never driven an EV but I am astonished at peoples reactions. A few months ago I was at some traffic lights on a multi lane dual carriageway when a Fire Engine cam up behind us. As the queue was over 20 vehicles long he took the option of crossing onto the other side before the central reservation. Once he made that decision he couldn't cross back onto the correct side until they reached the lights. The oncoming traffic set off before us and I couldn't believe that people where driving towards the Fire Engine. As it was 2 lanes, those in the outside lane were diving into the inside lane and the car behind, not having realised why people were moving, sped up only to be confronted with a Fire engine coming the wrong way up the road. As our lights turned green I knew that unless the Fire Engine was turning right at the lights, he would need to cross back onto the correct side of the road. I was only a couple of cars back from the front and after those infront and to my left set off, I put on my hazards, put on full left lock and parked my car across both lanes to stop anyone else moving forward. There is another set of lights 100 yds up the road where this traffic setting off would just become another obstacle for the Fire Engine.

The front seat passenger in the Fire Engine gave me a wave as they crossed back onto the correct side of the road, they must have seen how I parked my car and appreciated the assistance as they battled oncoming traffic. Traffic behind me wasn't best pleased but sod them. I'd do the exact same again in the future if need be.

Last edited by tt82; Nov 26th, 2014 at 09:07.
tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post: