Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

002F fault code

Views : 6634

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2013, 17:09   #11
Jaipal2004

Ok - guess the question about checking transmission oil level was stupid and I can do it myself so i'll do that shortly. Wouldn't have thought there was a problem as surely it would've been picked up in the service?!
Jaipal2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 17:44   #12
mikealder
VOC Member

I wouldn't assume anything that a garage should have done was carried out so a simple check that you can do yourself in a few minutes is all that is required:

After the car has been driven for about 20 miles park up on level ground with the engine still running, move the selector lever through all its available positions pausing for a couple of seconds in each, return the lever to Park leave the engine running and check the gearbox fluid level using the side of the dipstick marked "HOT"

If it needs fluid only top up through the dipstick tube and only use the correct grade oil (JWS3309) adding a little at a time - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 17:51   #13
Jaipal2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
I wouldn't assume anything that a garage should have done was carried out so a simple check that you can do yourself in a few minutes is all that is required:

After the car has been driven for about 20 miles park up on level ground with the engine still running, move the selector lever through all its available positions pausing for a couple of seconds in each, return the lever to Park leave the engine running and check the gearbox fluid level using the side of the dipstick marked "HOT"

If it needs fluid only top up through the dipstick tube and only use the correct grade oil (JWS3309) adding a little at a time - Mike
Thank you so much for the how-to info!

Shame I didn't know earlier as I'd just done a decent 12 mile + drive.

I would be very surprised if it's such a simple fix? Volvo did a fluid check earlier today and all was ok - is the transmission fluid included on this check?

I'll do it anyway for my own peace of mind and report back.

I'm sure I've also seen stuff about people cleaning throttle bodies? If so - would that be worth a try?
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 17:59   #14
Jaipal2004

I think it's valve body and not throttle body in my post above!
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 16:59   #15
Bigice

Hi , I had the same fault code a few weeks back, what I have done is changed the gearbox fluid and it seems to have cured the fault. I think that the oil goes really thin and the overdrive soliond drops out and causes the fault. If this dosent work I have found out that all that seems to go wrong in these autos is sticking liner solionds. Thet can be changed with a newer upgraded part fom america, look in goolge for rostra soloinds, that where I would start.
Bigice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 17:44   #16
Jaipal2004

Thanks BigIce

As per recommendations I worked out where the ATF dipstick is so I could check levels.

When I pulled it out - there's only approx 2 inches of guage on the stick - it looks like it's broken?!?!?!?! Unless it really is this short? But then if it is - there's no 'min' or 'max' on there!

Now I suppose the question is - can the broken bit cause the problem?

Also - how else can I check the level? I suppose I'd need a new dipstick??

It's doing my head in
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 19:01   #17
Jaipal2004

OK....... Last owner has confirmed it's broken and the broken but is not in the gearbox. So now to get another dipstick and try again! Are all Volvo ones the same or dies it need to be model specific?
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 19:07   #18
mikealder
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipal2004 View Post
I spoke to the gearbox place who did the service and he said I might have some success with replacing the valve body - £900 fitted and in a lot of cases that's sorted the problem.
I guess the dipstick might have been snapped after the service but there again possibly not - Do yourself a favour and find a different garage as there is no way they could have set the fluid correctly without a dipstick.

As for a replacement I would go and see a main dealer as I doubt they would be expensive, Volvo parts are not that costly to be honest and a 8,5" long bit of yellow plastic with a button moulded on the end isn't going to break the bank - At least this way you will be 100% sure it is the correct stick for your car - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 20:04   #19
Jaipal2004

The dipstick broke post service so the mechanic should've been OK. Will get a replacement and recheck!
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 17:43   #20
Jaipal2004

OK - picked up the new ATF dipstick and drove home (approx 30 miles but with a lot of traffic. Took in excess of 45 mins or so (not sure if this makes a difference with fluid temps etc).

I left the old dipstick in, moved thru the gears stopping on each for a few seconds, then put back to park, left engine running, took out old broken dipstick, put in the new one and then pushed it all the way in (so the clip locked it in again) and then took it out.

I've attached a picture or two of the results - the fluid level appears to be well in excess of the 'max' figure for the HOT guage.

Have I read it right?

Could overfill be causing my problem?

Do I need to recheck on cold?

Did I take the reading correctly etc?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure all bases are covered
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130917_172456.jpg (278.0 KB, 18 views)