Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bucking under load/boost, 940 B230FT

Views : 2498

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2014, 20:53   #11
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default price

Partsforvolvosonline.com list a genuine volvo one for £41.04.
Where you getting £300 from! That's for the rotor and cap.
I've got the wasted spark system on mine. No moving parts to wear out. Also comes with launch control if you want. I've had mine on for awhile now, works great.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 23:20   #12
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

There shouldn't be too much of an oil leak. If you clean everything up it should be OK for a while at least. It's probably had a fair few years to get in the state it is now.
It could be the breathers are blocked (another thing to check sorry) as excess pressure inside the engine will find the easiest way out.

Have a look at this page http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/ElectricalIgnition.html

Scroll down and you will see the section on replacing the seals and just above it is a picture of a distributor with the black internal shield fitted. I think I found mine on an earlier 940.

Last edited by Steve940estate; Oct 7th, 2014 at 23:25.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 09:14   #13
mikkey850

Thanks for all the info guys,

The breathers have recently been replaced and cleaned, along with some form of recirculation valve? (It was blocked full of black gunk)

I am happy to replace the seals etc myself so that might be a good way forward,

I would LOVE a wasted spark set-up with launch control but I imagine that would be well out of my price range!

Thanks for the advice, I will try and get the cap off this weekend and see what's going on, access doesn't look great though, any advice on removing the cap?

Thanks,

Michael.
mikkey850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 09:16   #14
mikkey850

Also forgot to add I feel I may have worn turbo seals as it is on the original turbo and seems to use oil from time to time (much more if I am heavy footed)

This will be sorted as soon as I have the funds (Hopefully this payday), could this lead to increased oil pressure and be blowing my seals? The engine doesn't seem to have loads of blow by when you remove the oil cap at idle.

Thanks,

Michael.
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 13:31   #15
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Wasted?

How much are wasted spark kits and how hard to fit?
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 14:29   #16
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default solder

The buchka spark has a thread on turbobricks. Search for "from gothenberg" on the 700/900 section on here to. The little board has to be soldered into the ezk board. you need a 960 ignition module and a disco' or punto coilpack. Get the 240 disc to fill the hole at the back of the head and you need a relay for the speedo. Probably do it for £150 all in maybe a bit less.
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 20:55   #17
dreadnought

mine did something similar to this, turned out to be inlet manifold gasket. just check that the nuts are tight, mine were just over finger tight. tightened them properly and it got much better, then changed the gasket and its fine now. worth checking.
dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreadnought For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 21:40   #18
TonyS9
Premier Member

Its £300 for the distributor, not the cap or rotor arm. The distributor is the bit that bolts to the head and responsible for keeping the (dirty) oil and electricity apart.. Replacing the cap or arm will only alieviate the problem for a few miles. PFS do not sell the distributor.

What's the speedo relay needed for? I didn't realise this was needed. My speedo triggers on the abs sensors, or do you mean the rev counter?

Last edited by TonyS9; Oct 8th, 2014 at 21:45.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 21:50   #19
mikkey850

Thanks dreadnought, I will check my intake manifold tomorrow!

I found a place in Australia selling complete dizzys for £146 but they are listed for the 740 (B230FT). Will this work with my car? If not it might be worth going for a wasted spark setup of replacement dizzys are £300! I need a realistic option as the car was cheap and needs other work.

Can I not replace the seals within my distributer or will it be past that at 167k?

Thanks for the info guys.

Michael.
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 21:57   #20
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default dear

Ah I see, I have one spare as you remove it so the shaft's not spinning round. That's dear for a bit of metal plate! The relay I have has a bit removed so it doesn't tick every second. The pulse from the coil is needed for the speedo so when you remove the coil the relay clips into the two feeds for the coil. You also need to keep the original 940 ignition amplifier connected together or it won't work either.
When I bought the punto coilpack I also asked for 5" of connector so I soldered the wires from the 960 ignition amplifier to it. I also used a shielded wire from the ezk spark board too.
I've not wired up the flat shift ( no rev drop when changing gear ) or launch control ( yet ) as I think my clutch wouldn't like it. When I get the hg fixed I aslo have a 1041k axle to go on

Tags
boost, running poor, splutter, turbo